Wheel Nuts...

Started by Slacey, August 17, 2003, 18:49

Slacey

Can anyone recommend the best place to get new ones from? After Steve pointed out at JAE that using the stock Toyota nuts on my Mille Miglia wheels probably wasn't a good idea, I finally got round to checking them... and found that he was right, I needed tapered ones, not the flat-washered Toyota style...   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Of all 16 though, only one wasn't at the proper torque spec.
I have now put on the tapered nuts that came with the wheels, but they are badly pitted and look crap - the reason I didn't fit them to start with, which leads to my question - where to get some? Can I buy them from a shop (Halfords don't sell them) or do I need to go to Mille Miglia themselves  s:?: :?: s:?:  

TIA guys!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I know this sounds mad, but have you considered going to some of the dealers, like the ones on Stafford Park near the station.  One of them is bound to do tapered nuts for one of their alloys (whether it's Toyota, Nissan or whatever), and have them as spares.

Might be the wrong thread/size, but shouldn't take long to find out.

SteveJ

First of all, check that you haven't damaged the mounting seats - the washers may have dug into the relatively soft alloy.

You should be able to get the replacement nuts from just about any alloy wheel retailer - even Halfords should be able to help although you are unlikely to get mille-miglia branded nuts from anywhere.

I know markiii got his locking nuts from R-Tec in St Albans, and from what I remember they stock a range of different seating profiles for the lock-nuts so should probably be able to help out with the ordinary nuts.

HTH

Slacey

Quote from: "stevej"First of all, check that you haven't damaged the mounting seats - the washers may have dug into the relatively soft alloy.
Ummm... this is where it was even dodgier.. the washers didn't even make contact with the alloy (lucky, now though)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
This little snippet did explain the bloody 'jingling' noise as I drove along though, as the washers rattled away!
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try the dealers tomorrow Phil, and have you or Mark got a web address for this R-Tec place Steve?

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"Thanks for the info guys, I'll try the dealers tomorrow Phil, and have you or Mark got a web address for this R-Tec place Steve?

Try http://www.r-tecautodesign.com not sure what good the website will be other than to get phone numbers though  s:( :( s:(

In case you were wondering, R-Tec used to be RipSpeed until Halfords bought the name in order to use the colour scheme!

Slacey

Problem solved, Demon Tweeks were extremely helpful, and have found me a set for £18, which I think is pretty good really.
Thanks for the help guys   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

hope you havent ordered them yet sean !!!!

the demon tweeks set are not teh best quilty and if somone knows what there doing a hammer and pointed chizzle is all is needed to get them off!

I use the BK racing locking wheel nuts which are almost a hex key shape on the outside and has locators on the inside and each set is made diffrent are expensive around £40 but impossible to get off i would challenge anyone to get them off !!!

And before you lot say anything you cant get an angle grinder to them as it been tryed by somthing thefing skum b4   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

It's only the 'regular' nuts I'm after Dave, I already have some decent locking jobbies - and yes, I ordered them yesterday. Hopefully they are at home now, if they look crap I'll say they didn't fit right and send 'em back!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

oh rite sorry sean i thought that you wanted locking nuts   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

sorry   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

*Grumble....*
The bolts they sent, although looking very nice, didn't look right, the taper looked too 'small', so I took a picture of the original and the new one together and sent it to DT, to get the response 'DO NOT USE THESE'!
They are sending some more supposedly suitable ones out, but this is becoming a hassle....   s:( :( s:(

Slacey

Believe it or not, this has finally been sorted!
After sending entirely the wrong bolts, they then sent a set exactly the same (zinc plated) that I am replacing, and today the correct set, chrome plated and with the taper arrived. I had asked them previously what to do with these other sets, and they said to keep them, so that should come in handy along the line.
There is still one small problem though, the bolts are of a smaller head sise than stock, so my wheel brace is too big!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Halfords I assume?

Anonymous

You're having a bad run at the moment... I know this feeling well.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Slacey"Believe it or not, this has finally been sorted!
After sending entirely the wrong bolts, they then sent a set exactly the same (zinc plated) that I am replacing, and today the correct set, chrome plated and with the taper arrived. I had asked them previously what to do with these other sets, and they said to keep them, so that should come in handy along the line.
There is still one small problem though, the bolts are of a smaller head sise than stock, so my wheel brace is too big!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Halfords I assume?

Think I got my wheel brace cheap from a market/car boot sale. The cross type with a different size at each end.

DP

Slacey

Popped into Halfords, and got a cross style brace like you mentioned, DP - handy as it has both the 19mm I am using now as well as the stock 21mm should I need it.

Tags: