a cheap unichip?!?

Started by Anonymous, August 4, 2005, 00:14

Anonymous

apologies if someone has beat me to it, I did look but couldn't find any topics for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7990513679&category=32094&rd=1

Liz

This has been covered before and really the definitive answer came from Grant:

QuoteThese mods and several others like them come up all the time, what they do is this:

They alter the electrical resistance of the intake air temperature sensor, and in doing so, make the engine run rich. Supposedly this extra fuel is supposed to liberate extra power. It doesn't. The main reasons it doesnt are, to extract the extra power from the fuel you need to add extra air, and the ECU monitors its rich/lean status and adjusts it according to the measuerments it takes from the Oxygen sensors in your exhaust. So after a very short amount of time, the engine is running back to normal, apart from the light on your dash which the ECU flags up to indicate a fault, in this case a knackered intake air temperature sensor.

It's buyer beware on these types of auctions, all you'll get for your £15 is 2p's worth of resistor, you wont even get the solder thrown in...

Consider yourselves warned...  

Hope this helps, but just buy a proper unichip and get it rolling road tuned   s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

yeah, pretty much what I expected!

in fact, I emailed someone about a quote for a unichip on monday, £245, but they didn't mention anything at all about it coming premapped, or having the option for it to be premapped...

something to look into methinks, when I've recovered from the shock of paying my excess and new tyres and stuff...!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

cheers Liz.   s:) :) s:)

roger

Quote from: "jamesr1"in fact, I emailed someone about a quote for a unichip on monday, £245, but they didn't mention anything at all about it coming premapped, or having the option for it to be premapped...

If you buy in this country it is usually unmapped. If you buy direct from Dastek in the US (and I am not sure if it only applied to our group buy) it comes pre-mapped based on the US MR-S and cost extra.

I am guessing £245 will be unmapped if its a new chip from UK.

Whilst quite a few here have the premapped ones and like them, IMO its better to get it mapped on your car, so it takes into account any other mods you have, type of fuel etc. Costs a bit more than the extra for pre-mapped, but IMO worth it.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

whilst I agree with that completely, I can't really afford the chip & mapping, so I was thinking of getting a premapped one for now, and getting it done at a later date when finances are healthier...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

that won't be a problem will it? the pre-done maps aren't 'hard-coded' are they? you can overwrite them can't you?

roger

Yes, they can be over written, but again I am not sure if the pre-mapped ones  can be sourced from the UK. You'll have to ask your supplier. Also have you considered fitting?

On the GB it came with a special plug-in harness which I understand are not normally available, so it would have to go in by "splicing" into your ECU wiring. Maybe a job for an authorised distributor?

On the GB it cost about £50 extra for the pre-mapped, but getting it done here on a dyno is about £100.

I know £50 is £50, but a small price to pay to know its perfect.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

aahhhhhh.... I thought that the plug in harness thing that I read about was standard and came with them normally!? if that's not the case, then i'll have to wait, as whilst £50 is only £50, if i'm going to have to pay for someone to fit it as well, i'll probably have to wait a couple of months and do the job properly!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

thanks all the same, probably saved me wasting a few beer tokens!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

BenF

James - I'd really suggest waiting and getting one fitted and mapped at the same place - make sure they're experienced Unichip mappers with a good track record, as some are better than others.

Millway down in Andover have fitted and mapped many Unichips - many Mk2 owners have used Powerstation and TDI to get unichips fitted, so they should be happy to work on the Roadster.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tags: