Rear brakes: a few handy hints...

Started by Anonymous, August 10, 2005, 16:43

Anonymous

Having spent the weekend battling with changing/replacing the rear disks and pads I thought I would share a few tips.

Essentially it's the same as the fronts, which are described here: http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/June/rotor/rotors.htm

with the following exceptions:

1. The 17mm nuts require a lot of force as they have been on for longer than the fronts generally. I needed a much bigger breaker bar to get them undone. A 17mm spanner is also very handy as the bottom one is difficult to access.

2. The pistons screw back in rather than push. They can be screwed in using a caliper rewind kit from Halfrauds (£20). The kit itself doesn't fit but you do need the adaptor plate with 2 pins in to rewind the caliper. I attached mine to a ratches so I could twist the piston back into the caliper. To rewind the caliper screw clockwise.

3. The handbrake operates the rear brakes so obviously you need to support the car such that it is safe with the handbrake off   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .

4. As the rear disks tend to last longer than the fronts they have a tendancy to weld to the hub. I found twatting the disk with a hammer hard did the job. This is probably not the recommended approach.

Good luck,

dave

Tags: