5 speed or 6 speed

Started by ADam, August 23, 2005, 16:47

ADam

hi

this is my first post as i am planning to import me myself a MR-S.

i just want to know is there a difference between the 5 MT and the 6 MT.

is the speed different and enjoyment of the ride better i.e there is an extra gear to play with  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , and is the extra gear worth the extra money.

Thanks

roger

We have ways of imparting knowledge - seek and ye shall find

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4807

Basically since 6spd is newer it should always cost more (on a like for like basis). IMO I think the other enhancements are probably more worth having than the 6th gear   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

think of the 6 speed as a 5 speed box with the extra gear for economy, first 5 gears of a 6 speed box are the same ratio's as a 5 speed box

if you get what i mean???  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ADam

Quote from: "kanujunkie"think of the 6 speed as a 5 speed box with the extra gear for economy, first 5 gears of a 6 speed box are the same ratio's as a 5 speed box

so u r saying that if i ignore the 6th gear i should go ahead with importing a 5 mt one.

or r u saying that both trainmissions r the same.  i think??

really i think its down to personal taste.

thanks for the reply

spit

Not directly related to the 5-speed vs 6-speed question, but relevant nonetheless.......I recall some discussion on Spyderchat (before I joined MR2ROC - sorry guys) about the differing ratios between Euro and Japanese/US gearboxes. Correct me if I'm wrong peeps, but the US MR-S spec is the same as J-Spec, Yes?

In the spirit of transparency, Freedom of Information, and with thanks to WalkSkyLuker via Bono_, here it is........

QuoteRatios (modified quote)

US/JSpec MR-S 5-speed
1. 3.166
2. 1.904
3. 1.392
4. 1.031
5. 0.815
Final Drive 4.312

European MR2 Roadster 5-speed
1. 3.166
2. 1.904
3. 1.310
4. 0.969
5. 0.815
Final Drive 3.941 (LSD)

European MR2 Roadster 2003+ 6spd
1. 3.166
2. 1.904
3. 1.310
4. 0.969
5. 0.815
6. 0.725
R. 3.250
Final Drive 3.941 (LSD)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ADam

Quote from: "spit"Not directly related to the 5-speed vs 6-speed question, but relevant nonetheless.......I recall some discussion on Spyderchat (before I joined MR2ROC - sorry guys) about the differing ratios between Euro and Japanese/US gearboxes. Correct me if I'm wrong peeps, but the US MR-S spec is the same as J-Spec, Yes?

In the spirit of transparency, Freedom of Information, and with thanks to WalkSkyLuker via Bono_, here it is........

QuoteRatios (modified quote)

US/JSpec MR-S 5-speed
1. 3.166
2. 1.904
3. 1.392
4. 1.031
5. 0.815
Final Drive 4.312

European MR2 Roadster 5-speed
1. 3.166
2. 1.904
3. 1.310
4. 0.969
5. 0.815
Final Drive 3.941 (LSD)

Europe MR2 Roadster 2003+ 6spd
1. 3,166
2. 1,904
3. 1,310
4. 0,969
5. 0,815
6. 0,725
R. 3,250
Final Drive 3.941 (LSD)

sorry to ask but out of the 3 cars shown which is the quicker model?

i cant understand the number shown  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .

spit

I'm poo with ratios..... but sure someone here can tell you the impact of higher 3rd gear, 4th gear and diff on the MR-S. I'm thinking that higher ratios on the MR-S make it go faster but run out of grunt sooner though.

kanujunkie

i beleive its the US/Jspec one, speak to Dieamond, he imported one and had it fitted, so he should know the differences well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I don't think the JDM's gear ratio is the same as the US'. Instead I'm quite sure it's the same as the Australia's. IIRC, JDM and Australia have highest gear ratio, follows by Europe, then the US.

You may double check with these, I may be wrong:-

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7928
http://www.j-garage.com/toyota/mrs/02spec.htm

dieamond

US = JSpec
they are acceleration oriented, and 1-2-3 are better linked together (sorry, don't know the englush term)

Euro is max speed, fuel economy, silence oriented (ie crap :p)

With the US I reached a speed of 213 kph, which is I think way enough
The best is I reach this quicker than before.

I use approx 0.5l / 100km of gas more than with the euro spec gearbox, which I find acceptable

If I were in UK, I would buy a grey import MR-S, with the stock jspec 6MT which is VERY short, and with torsen LSD pre installed, that trully would rock.

(NO if I was in the UK I would import Techno pro spirit demo MR-S used :p)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

roger

Quote from: "ADam"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"think of the 6 speed as a 5 speed box with the extra gear for economy, first 5 gears of a 6 speed box are the same ratio's as a 5 speed box

so u r saying that if i ignore the 6th gear i should go ahead with importing a 5 mt one.

or r u saying that both trainmissions r the same.  i think??

really i think its down to personal taste.

thanks for the reply

You will notice this happens sometimes...the thread gets into a technical discussion without actually helping you  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

As I said before the 6spd is a later car with more modifications to make it a "better" car. No the transmission is not the same, some of the ratios maybe, but it is a different box.

Being a different car there are some parts different, that is why it is important to specify / know which car you have. On many threads here you will see reference to pre-2003, or post 2003. The first is the 5MT, the second the 6MT

So Adam, yes it is a personal decision, go for what you want / can afford / will accept. Your post seems to indicate that you think you are getting the same car, but with a different option gearbox. You are not, it is a different car.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

My pre-2003 Euro spec cruises at relatively high revs on the motorway (4k ish?) so I think a sixth gear would be beneficial for economy and noise. I can't see any downsides...

James

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"Euro is max speed, fuel economy, silence oriented (ie crap :p)

Euro is actually turbo oriented  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ADam

thanks everybody for the reply (i think)  s:) :) s:)  

i now have two choices to import:

a pre-2003 with a bodykit and alloys and some performance bits aswell   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

or

a standard post-2003, i know it has the 6 speed, but i need it to look different.

both nearly the same price

y is life so hard?  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

well i have to see what my importers have in stock.

spit

Quote from: "ADam"i now have two choices to import:

a pre-2003 with a bodykit and alloys and some performance bits aswell   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

or

a standard post-2003, i know it has the 6 speed, but i need it to look different.

both nearly the same price.
Its good to have choices  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I just wanted to give you a heads-up about the SVA. Loopholes have been closing and the cost of SVA has gone up as a result (for example, the plastic under-engine "nappy" - which J-spec doesn't have - features in the model report and has to be installed for SVA (borrow one?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )).

More importantly, certain levels of performance mod, and some kit types like carbon fibre, can be an absolute pig to get through SVA if at all, so be careful.....and certainly don't opt for a turbo modded import.

For this reason, I'd be inclined to get a bog-standard unmodded MR-S, but then I'm a play-it-safer.

Our other Adam (JapGT300) probably has the best knowledge on SVA in this club, and I'm sure he'll have some wise words when he bimbles into this thread.

Ste

ADam

thanks spit for the advice,

but im sure my importers should be dealing with all the paper work and make the car accept onto U.K roads, but i have to make sure.

damn its the choice of colour i want  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

thanks every1

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ADam"damn its the choice of colour i want  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

you could always join a hundred and 1 GB's later, become a regular round here and we'll help you offload those pennies anyway  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

ADam

thanks i will do

btw is there anbody here with or seen a white MR-s before if u have ur opinion would be helpful.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ADam"thanks i will do

btw is there anbody here with or seen a white MR-s before if u have ur opinion would be helpful.
White was never an option over here so its very rare. I believe we only had one member with one that I can recall; his name eludes me  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

dieamond

there a re some on SC I think

when I was searching for real pics of the COne kit I found those :
 m http://dieamond.free.fr/Showroom/Galler ... lerie=COne m

there is this white too, but quite special  s;-) ;-) s;-)
 m http://dieamond.free.fr/images/Gallerie ... Spirit.jpg m
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

ADam

whoa, that white with the carbon bonnet looks nice  s:D :D s:D  

thanks all again

dieamond

yes, white + carbon rocks nearly as much as blue + carbon  :-) :-) :-)

ADam

Quote from: "dieamond"yes, white + carbon rocks nearly as much as blue + carbon  :-) :-) :-)

is it because you have a blue car with carbon bonnet  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

I think it was possibly SteveM with the White Roadster, I liked it alot.
Slightly OT - where in Essex are you Adam?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

dieamond

Quote from: "ADam"
Quote from: "dieamond"yes, white + carbon rocks nearly as much as blue + carbon  :-) :-) :-)

is it because you have a blue car with carbon bonnet  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yeah !!

Tags: