Engine issues

Started by Wrightly, August 30, 2005, 16:49

Wrightly

Hi all,
I own a MRS and recently had to have the engine reconditioned.
I have had it back and done 4,000 miles since the rebuild but something is still wrong.
Firstly the exhaust note is a lot louder and throatier than usual - All good, but I am seriously lacking power.
When I floor it it feels restricted and just before the redline the engine 'pops' and the CEL flashes with each pop.
Could a blocked pre cat cause this - not allowing the exhaust to exit cleanly and forcing some back into the chamber for pre ignition?
But would a blocked pre cat make the exhaust noise louder?
When the engine originally blew I had to have the main cat replaced due to all the oil etc blocking it. I don't think Mr T even bothered to check if the pre cats were alright. I looked the other day and they looked a bit flakey. They're coming out this weekend.
Also when the engine is cold the exhaust sounds fine as does the engine, but when it heats up it starts to sound like a diesel and gets louder.
I originally thought it was the O2 sensors and have replaced them with Genden's alternative. The car felt a bit more responsive, but not a huge amount of difference.
Any ideas?

markiii

sounds like a blocked main cat.

did they replace it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Wrightly"When the engine originally blew I had to have the main cat replaced due to all the oil etc blocking it.
You did not read his post did you   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Surely they should have replaced the PreCats as well or gutted them ???
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

darrenjuggins

Possibly a failed MAF - Mine went and I thought I was have engine problems again.... but as soon as it was replaced... away we went.

As the fuel mixture / Air was all incorrect the car really struggled to go much higher than 4000 RPM or above 70.  It was all down to the air mixture.

A much cheaper alternative solution to look at.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Wrightly

When I originaly brought the car to Mr T to find out what was wrong they said it was a blocked main cat and I had that replaced. When I got it back the car was pouring out black smoke and the monkey mechanic said he  thought that was how it it should be - he hadn't even noticed that the screwed engine had blocked the cat!
I  brought it to an independent who reconned the engine and since then there has been none or little oil consumption and no smoking. I also had the cat checked - electronically - to see if it was fine and the mechanic said all readouts were good. But would it still work if partly blocked? And could driving the car 50 miles- Back home from Mr Tas I live in the stix -  with a dodgy engine have ruined the new cat leading to the problems I now have?

Anonymous

I'd follow a logical procedure:

1. Inspect precats visually, from above and below. If they exist, remove them.

2. Test engine performance.

3. Clean MAF sensor.

4. Test performance.

Since the MAF cleaning is an easy job, you might do it first, but precat damage is so potentially devastating that I'd address that question immediately. A dirty MAF sensor won't take the whole motor down. If these procedures do not prove palliative, then advise accordingly.

Jap GT300

Just out of interest and to compare with the others that have had similar work.  How much did you pay MR T and How much did you pay for the recon?

Thanks Adam

Anonymous

If your precats caused the main cat to become blocked in the 1st place then you may now need another main cat - soz  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Wrightly

MR T charged me £900 for a new main cat and fitting. On reconditioning they said they would do it for £3,000 - I told them where to go.
It was reconned independently for £1,000.

Tags: