'Midship Runabout'

Started by Ernie Ball, September 2, 2005, 12:27

Ernie Ball

Am I the only one who thinks the name 'midship runabout' is ridiculous?  For one thing, it doesn't mean anything.  Would you ever tell someone you drive a 'midship runabout'?  It's only slightly less ridiculous than a Nissan 'Fair Lady'...

Anonymous

been thinking that to myself to be honest for a long time but since I was a new member didn't think it was my place to say !!!

philster_d

My first MK2 (93 NA) had quite a bit more Engrish written on there.  s:) :) s:)

Midship runabout, a man in dandism    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

On the T Bar glass and here and there hehe

Phil

roger

Presumably Midship refers to the position of the engine, and Runabout says you can't use it to move luggage and other large loads around.

Both quite sensible...but there again you would have thought they could have made up something better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Nissan 'Fair Lady'...

There's the Nissan Gloria, too, and the March..

The story is - head honcho of Nissan had a thing for musicals (as in the ones you watch in Theatres), and so named a lot of the cars after musicals/characters or bits of music..

Strange, I know.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "roger"Presumably Midship refers to the position of the engine, and Runabout says you can't use it to move luggage and other large loads around.

Both quite sensible...but there again you would have thought they could have made up something better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

'Midship' may refer to the position of the engine, but that isn't obvious to anyone who hears the name.  They think: 'what do ships have to do with it?'  What would've been wrong with 'Mid-engined runabout'?  That makes sense.  Or 'mid-engined roadster'?

philster_d

Its Japengrish !!!

Anonymous

It's not that bad.  Imagine driving an MR2 in France:  "Bonjour, comment ca va?  Is that an 'emerdeux'? (i.e. merde)"...

Or it could be called the "Kangoo".  What the hell is a Kangoo?

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Emmanuel"It's not that bad.  Imagine driving an MR2 in France:  "Bonjour, comment ca va?  Is that an 'emerdeux'? (i.e. merde)"...

Well, it's called an MR there, for just that reason.

edward.carter

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
Quote from: "roger"Presumably Midship refers to the position of the engine, and Runabout says you can't use it to move luggage and other large loads around.

'Midship' may refer to the position of the engine, but that isn't obvious to anyone who hears the name.  They think: 'what do ships have to do with it?'  What would've been wrong with 'Mid-engined runabout'?  That makes sense.  Or 'mid-engined roadster'?

but then you would have a MER2, dont want a car named after polish do you!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I thought "Midship Runabout" was just a silly marketing name for people who don`t want to refer to there car as a mid-engined rearwheel-drive 2 seater as that could seem a bit nerdy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Don`t think I`ll ever call mine a midship runabout

philster_d

Imagine it in reverse an English car some cool Japaneese writing.

We wouldnt know it said "starship capri" would we   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: