Sticky Rubber

Started by Anonymous, August 21, 2003, 17:04

Anonymous

Has anyone tried the cut slicks which are available as just legal/trackday tyres, such as the Michelin Pilot Cup and I think Yokohama do some as well?

I was wondering about getting a second set of wheels for trackdays and hillclimbing/sprinting onto which I could put sokme super-sticky rubber and have some normal winter road wheels and tyres as well.

Do any Toyota 15" wheels fit the 00-02 roadster? I thought I saw some of our alloys on a old style Corolla the other day and wondered if they were easily available?

cheers,

dave.

Anonymous

Dave
Not sure about your tyre query, but I think that a set of alloys in my garage that were destined for my wike's RAV4 also fitted the Corolla. I am sure that they are 15". They have a central hub cap (or whatever you call it) covering the nuts, secured by a locking bolt. They are in boxes taking up space in my 35'6"x11'6" garage. If I get a chance tonight when I get home I'll have a look and confirm the details tomorrow. They may be of use to you, at a "reasonable" cost, of course.

Anonymous

the slicks you can buy from most racing outlets but as you said they are not road legal, but fine for track days and would improve the performance a great deal. they are expensive tho and ware out very quickly so be warned

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"the slicks you can buy from most racing outlets but as you said they are not road legal, but fine for track days and would improve the performance a great deal. they are expensive tho and ware out very quickly so be warned

I was thinking of these sort of tyres: Here which are road legal (technically   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), althought it is probably not advisable to use them day to day. If they are road legal I would be able to compete in standard production class in hillclimbs and sprints - hence the idea of 2 sets of wheels.

Cheers for the info on the RAV4 wheels Roger, I was actually thinking of using steels for cheap replacement cost, painted white for that 'Rally Slag' look  s8) 8) s8)  - However, I am a bit magpie-like so something shiny always appeals. How much would you be looking for them?

cheers,

dave.

Anonymous

They're US tyres.  They may well have different laws over there regarding requirements from a street legal tyre.  I'd be very careful to check.

That said, surely your original plan to just buy some new wheels (steel or whatever), pop some slicks on and change them at the track, would be a better plan?

mph

Quote from: "davejevons"Has anyone tried the cut slicks which are available as just legal/trackday tyres, such as the Michelin Pilot Cup and I think Yokohama do some as well?
I haven't tried, but I suspect the usual list would be fine. As a slightly more intermediate tyre, juansolo seems very pleased with using the Yoko Advan Neova (Lotus) tyres - but this requires the '03 spec wheels.

Quote from: "davejevons"Do any Toyota 15" wheels fit the 00-02 roadster?
Pass, but you're after 4x100PCD +45 if that helps.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Nah guys... You should check out Evo, as they did a thing on Track Day tyres a few issues ago. They rated the Dunlop Formula R's as being worth almost 5 seconds a lap faster than standard road tyres. They're low profile cut clicks that are perfectly road legal. The Pilot Sports were supposed to be okay, but you just have to check out what people run on the track to see which is best... and most of them drive home at the end of the day  :-) :-) :-)

Tem

Just wondering...but I thought you have a very good race/sports tyre manufacturer already in UK, Colway.

These would be road legal:

Just don't even think about driving on wet road...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Check out the tires on THIS Toyota:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/images/Toyota/FJCruiserConcept/FJ_Exterior3.jpg

I think they are BF Goodrich. I'll bet they ride smooooooth.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Yoko Advan Neova (Lotus) tyres.

They are great tyres, just don't try driving in the rain  s:) :) s:)

GSB

First off, when selecting your wheels, bear in mind that the rear wheels are half an inch wider on the MR2, if you're going to stick Corolla wheels on you will lose this differential, and possibly compromise the extra grip that you are trying to get.

Secondly, (if were talking about trackdays here) as a racing friend of mine keeps telling me, if you're not already driving on the ragged edge of your tyres and, and the biggest obstacle to faster lap times is your driving technique, Then thats the area that needs improvement. Fitting stickier rubber will only exacerbate any problems with your technique, and ultimately reduce your enjoyment.

In short, you'll extract faster lap times and have a bigger grin on your face, if you spend the money on racing lessons. Once the car starts to be the obstacle to further improvement, rather than your own talents behind the wheel, then thats when the slicks should go on.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

GSB, you just reminded me of this:
 m http://members.roadfly.com/brown1706/DrivingLessons.htm m

So true, so true...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Just a word of warning about buying tyres that are 'road legal' if you intend to use them for competition purposes, eg. sprints and hillclimbs.

The RACMSA, the governing body for British Motorsport events lays down specific details of which tyres are acceptable by them for use as being 'road legal'.

The lists of accepted tyres are published each year in the rule book, known as the Blue Book, and the generally accepted tyres for road classes are listed in List 1a.

For example, many of the sticky road tyres such as Yokohama A021R, although being road legal, are not in List 1a!

If competition is in your mind, you might want to bear this in mind before you shell out good money for sticky tyres.....

Andrew

Anonymous

Also bear in mind that some trackday organisers (I think incl BookaTrack) won't allow full slicks without a rollcage.

Anonymous

Quote from: "amr2"Just a word of warning about buying tyres that are 'road legal' if you intend to use them for competition purposes, eg. sprints and hillclimbs.

The RACMSA, the governing body for British Motorsport events lays down specific details of which tyres are acceptable by them for use as being 'road legal'.

The lists of accepted tyres are published each year in the rule book, known as the Blue Book, and the generally accepted tyres for road classes are listed in List 1a.

For example, many of the sticky road tyres such as Yokohama A021R, although being road legal, are not in List 1a!

If competition is in your mind, you might want to bear this in mind before you shell out good money for sticky tyres.....

Andrew

Thnaks, that's useful to know. I'm planning to do some hillclimbs and sprints next yera and I'm trying to decide whether to have a dedicated toy or use the '2.

I'll wait till I get my blue book to check which tyres are allowed and which aren't.

I had thought about the size differential at the back which was why I was wondering if any other Toyota's had a similar issue.

Thanks for the help guys.

dave.

Anonymous

Trackday organisers also don't allow timing of laps so cut slicks for trackdays aren't really worth the money/hassle.

Competition is another matter of course!

--H--

Anonymous

davejevons
However, I am a bit magpie-like so something shiny always appeals. How much would you be looking for them?

Hi Dave
The model of alloy was called Suru, but Toyota no longer do this one. It has 5 spokes and the inside depth is 150mm (according to the wife). I should have brought one with me because I'm not sure now precisely what size tyre would work the best on these wheels. £30 each plus transport or petrol if we don't live too far apart. If you need more info let me know and I can find it out over the weekend to let you know Tuesday.
Don't worry if they are not suitable. They have been in a corner of my garage for a long time neatly boxed up. I'm due to have a big clear-out shortly (I have been told by her indoors!!).

Enjoy the week-end

s:D :D s:D

juansolo

Bear in mind that proper track tyres like Yokohama A032Rs and slicks will place a massive amount of stress on the car that it was not designed to take.  Your brakes will take a serious beating as will your wheel bearings.  For certain tyres (thinking of Avon ACB10's, though I don't know if they're available is large sizes) geo changes will be required to make them work properly.  The biggest concern will be oil surge with sustained high speed cornering.  Having lunched one engine this way this is something I'm particulaly paranoid about.

Basically, unless you're timing, I wouldn't bother with sticky rubber.  The Yoko Advans Neovas (I really do go on, and on, and on about these tyres...) offer all the grip of the Bridgestones but without the melting on track.  They also have a nice stiff tyre wall like the A032R so don't roll very much.  You do need to run less pressure in them than the book recommends for the Bridgestones though.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

davejevons

At long last I have established that the alloys I have tucked away in the corner of my garage are 5.5J x14 h2s. Presumably that means they are only 14".

They may be too small, but if anyone in the Midlands mini-meet is interested I could bring them to Ragley Hall.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Tags: