Wife wants MR2 but questions

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2005, 07:18

Tem

Quote from: "southerneditor"And I for one and more than happy to live with that ambiguity. If anything ever does take my engine out, I know it won't be precats. So, the question is: "Since I'm only going to own the car for a year or two, should I bother with removing the precats?" This is a no-brainer - of course you remove them.

Exactly. And since the gutting has no negative side effects, why wouldn't someone get rid of them? Of course nothing's for sure, but a quick and free job to get rid of one likely cause to blown engines sure sounds good to me  s8) 8) s8)
(and if you're in UK, you might even meet some new guys while you're at it)

I remember the early days when the first engines started to blow. They all seemed to happen to less known members and the regulars more or less thought that they are doing something to cause that. I was one of them, thinking it won't happen to me, cause I always baby my car, never loading a cold engine, always changing oils in time etc. But then even the regulars started to blow their engines and suddenly everyone took the problem seriously.

I say take it seriously, even if it hasn't happened to you (yet).
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I think we all appreciate the advice (even if we choose not to follow it) but the club needs to do better than that.

To start with, why don't we have a poll on here (and the spyder site) to see what % of cars are affected?

And then perhaps sort out a wider check?

At least there's no doubting cold hard statistics and perhaps Toyota can be made to take any problem seriously.

Can the mods sort this out?

markiii

well volunteered.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'd be happy to help. What do I need to do to create a poll?

Tem

Quote from: "martin-s"At least there's no doubting cold hard statistics and perhaps Toyota can be made to take any problem seriously.

1) The "cold hard stats" will be just what people who bother to answer have to say. No one can say for sure how many of them are telling the truth, know the full history of their car, or even have a '2 in the first place. Toyota knows it and probably doesn't take it too seriously either.

2) Toyota doesn't sell the '2 anymore. Guess if they could care less?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

3) Many have tried it and failed. Even here as you will find out if you search around a bit  s;) ;) s;)

Good luck anyway! You might wanna browse Spyderchats maintenance area first, there are few stickys about this and even a poll like you just mentioned:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=6 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

k...just doin a search to see if any advice or views on induction kits, this wee thread comes up and now i'm wonderin, wots a precat? wots guttin the same said precat mean? and how would i kno if my 01 model has already been gutted or not? 28k miles on her (not bad fer a 4yr old) , so how likely is it that a blow will soon occur?   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

i printed out the photos and instructions from the pre-cat fix and my local garage removed them for £90.00 no problem

Tags: