When do you put your hard top back on?

Started by Ernie Ball, October 6, 2005, 08:58

Ernie Ball

This is my first autumn with the '2.   I'm not yet ready to put my hard top back on for the long, dark winter.

When do you (or when do you plan to) put your hard top back on?

Anonymous

Come on mate surely you can decide yourself, it is raining most days the now so why not put it on, if you get a nice day then it is only a 3 minute job to take it back off.  They look nicer with the hardtop on anyway.

Ernie Ball

Uh, did I say I couldn't decide myself?  Just want an idea of others' practices.

Lord knows there's room here for these sorts of questions.

It may be raining where you are, but I had the top down 2 days ago.

And it's a 3-minute job for you.  It's a lot longer than that for me, as you need to have 2 people to do it and mine is up 3 flights of stairs from where the '2 is.

spit

Quote from: "Ernie Ball".....mine is up 3 flights of stairs from where the '2 is.
Blimey - that's quite a slog for you Ernie. Rope and pulley job  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I switch between hardtop and softop throughout the year. We can get some fabulous crispy sunny days in the dark months   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    & some pretty crappy Manchester summers too. I usually put it on when I wash the car too. But then its an easy lift compared to yours.

The only thing to watch for, I s'pose, is to get a good dry fold-up when you decide to go for it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

heathstimpson

I would say its much too early yet; there have been a lot of very nice days and mild evenings over the last couple of weeks  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

I didn't put mine on at all last winter.. and I probably won't this winter either  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Peter Wright

Quote from: "aaronjb"I didn't put mine on at all last winter.. and I probably won't this winter either  s:) :) s:)
Yeah
What a bunch of whimps
Who needs a Hardtop & Why
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

What's a hard top?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

edward.carter

hardtops pah! ya bunch a pansies lol, only joking, im jealous and i want one!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   but anyway in answer to your question, my friends got one and he has put it on already i personally think its too early but he has put it on because he likes the look of the car with the hard top on.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Quote from: "aaronjb"I didn't put mine on at all last winter.. and I probably won't this winter either  s:) :) s:)
Yeah
What a bunch of whimps
Who needs a Hardtop & Why
I haven't bought one yet but do like the look of the 2 with one on  s:? :? s:?  Impractical on a nice winters day though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

ive only had my hardtop off twice in the past few weeks and to be honest i prefer it on as the car handles a million times better, is much quieter and far smoother. just my opinion though....

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Richie"ive only had my hardtop off twice in the past few weeks and to be honest i prefer it on as the car handles a million times better, is much quieter and far smoother. just my opinion though....
But if you add strut bars and a Corky plate it will be just as good, if not better with it off  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

filcee

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"When do you (or when do you plan to) put your hard top back on?
Mine goes on when the clocks go back - or the nearest fine weekend after that so I can give the car a good exterior clean & polish.

It's off again when the clocks go forward, or the first available decent weekend before or after, so it can have a good clean & polish again before it gets put away for the summer.

Quote from: "Peter Wright"Who needs a Hardtop & Why
3 reasons:
1. Security
2. Security
3. Security

Given that I use the car daily for work, and am often working in industrial estates until late in the evening and staying in hotels with poor security overnight, then I use mine in the winter to keep the car a bit safer.  In my view 14 hours of darkness is plenty of time to have a crack at a bit of cloth.  Yes, security is still an issue in the summer, but the nights are shorter and there's usually more people out and about when the weather's better, therefore less chance of a long and undisturbed period of time in which to have a go at my motor (I hope!).
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

mines back on, cause the weather here is crap! if i do get an odd good day ill want to blow the cobwebs off the bike anyway.

Bongo

I'd say a hardtop would make your car more likely to be attacked for 2 reasons:

1) Breaking a window is always going to be the easiest way in.
2) You can nick the hardtop and flog it on ebay.

edward.carter

Still as mentioned in another post, scumbags can till take a knife to your soft top just for the fun of it!   s:x :x s:x

proeliator2001

Quote from: "Bongo"I'd say a hardtop would make your car more likely to be attacked for 2 reasons:

1) Breaking a window is always going to be the easiest way in.
2) You can nick the hardtop and flog it on ebay.

I've not heard of that many theiving toerags who happen to have access to a flat bed truck or other vehicle with a cavernous load area to put aforementioned stolen hard top into.  Perhaps the scumbags round your way have very deep pockets   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Agreed though re the window and in fact, with the hard top on it makes it easier for them to lever the door frame out (a popular slightly quieter approach)!
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

aaronjb

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I've not heard of that many theiving toerags who happen to have access to a flat bed truck or other vehicle with a cavernous load area to put aforementioned stolen hard top into.  Perhaps the scumbags round your way have very deep pockets   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You'd be amazed.. A couple of friends of mine have had entire cars stolen from outside their houses in just that way - flatbed rolls up, drags the car onto the bed & drives off.. Neighbours see it but don't think anything of it - it just looks like you're having your car recovered or taken to a garage..

The cars weren't anything that special either - Renault 5 GT Turbo & a Fiesta RST..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

We've just put ours back on last weekend, but then again it's grim up north as everyone knows!  As always, I'm amazed by how good it looks with the hard top on, almost like a different car...

We'd probably have left it a little longer, but we're moving in the next couple of weeks and I'm starting to sort out all the stuff in the garage. The hard top was in the way.

mrsmr2

Mine's on.  I put it on for Elvington and never took it off again.  Haven't wired up the demister yet so it might come off again.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

kanujunkie

reality check guys, its still 15-20degs outside!

get some metalwork and take the roof down, you bought a roadster, not a tintop
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Its nice out today - quite mild, going out in a mo, with the lid down!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

so.simple

I don't know why all the fuss about the hardtop, really.   s:) :) s:)  I takes two minutes to put it on the car or to take it out and it looks sooo sexy.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Also, it improves top speed and handling!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Carlos

Anonymous

Totally agree with you, it's only a car at the end of the day

Anonymous

quick hi-jack of post, ive got mine on and cant find the cable to connect to it, its plugged into the car (i think but cant find the other end to connect to hard top fopr rear window

Tags: