When do you put your hard top back on?

Started by Ernie Ball, October 6, 2005, 08:58

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"reality check guys, its still 15-20degs outside!

get some metalwork and take the roof down, you bought a roadster, not a tintop
15-20 deg in surrey, cold here.
reddi, the hardtop demister cable is on a kind of loop, on mine anyway, i found the easiest way to do it was to detach the plug from the hard top and trace it back. once i had traced it back to the luggage compartment i removed the plug for the soft top(it then plugs into a blank slot towards the outside of the car) and plugged in the hardtop, then plugged the other end back into the hardtop.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"reality check guys, its still 15-20degs outside!

get some metalwork and take the roof down, you bought a roadster, not a tintop
15-20 deg in surrey, cold here.

looks like the geese got it right, head south!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

lol yes, downside though its full of you english!

edward.carter

now now!  s:x :x s:x

Ernie Ball

Had the top down to and from work today.

I'd say it'll be a couple of weeks yet.

proeliator2001

Quote from: "aaronjb"You'd be amazed..

I'm too jaded to be amazed   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I've heard of those antics and far worse besides (I'm a criminal intelligence analyst for northants police so hear about stuff like that all the time.  My point was that no one is going to nick the hardtop if they can take the entire car.   Far easier to break into your home and threaten you for the keys that pee about with lorries and the like   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I drove home with the top down and got funny looks today - I mean, it wasn't even particularly cold  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:     When it's stiff nipples even with the heater on, or constant rainy days, the hard top will go on.  Looking forward to it really as they look almost like mini prototype sports cars with the bubble canopy on   s8) 8) s8)    (at least the nice ones in silver do   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

filcee

Quote from: "Bongo"I'd say a hardtop would make your car more likely to be attacked for 2 reasons:

1) Breaking a window is always going to be the easiest way in.
2) You can nick the hardtop and flog it on ebay.

Agreed.  It's the opportunists who are the problem - and who I am trying to deter.  An opportunist doesn't want the hassle of getting caught, therefore (the theory goes) won't want to waste a bunch of time on a car that looks secure and doesn't have anything tempting on display inside.  Time spent trying to get in is time spent trying to get caught.  On the other hand, there are people out there who will be determined to take it, or bits of it, to make big bunches of cash.  This makes this risk of being caught more worthwhile, and they will go with whatever hassle factor and time required in order to make off with their desired 'prize'.  I still remember losing my Nova GTE - all we found was the steering lock.  No trace of the car, even though it was alarmed & immobilised.  Clearly someone wanted it bad enough to spend the time getting around all of that.  A hardtop will be zero defence if that happens again.

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Agreed though re the window and in fact, with the hard top on it makes it easier for them to lever the door frame out (a popular slightly quieter approach)!
-e-e-e-rr- the windows are frameless (you do own a '2 don't you?  s;-) ;-) s;-)  ), so levering against them would result in breakage and noise.  May as well just whack it with the bar then, I think.  If you wanted to lever the door against a solid object, you could do it against the bodywork, with or without the hardtop in place.

I wish I hadn't mentioned security now.  Look what I've started  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

proeliator2001

If you don't happen to have a heavy-ish object to hand, just a screwdriver, its easier to break the window by levering.  Frameless or not, push it down the seals and hey presto.  Tis true you can do it off the front windscreen frame though but most dobbins seem to do it from the top of the door, rather than the side.

Nothings if someone wants it and it only takes 2 seconds to shove something through the side glass - bloody amazes me (so I do get amazed sometimes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) that idiots leave briefcases, handbags and even 500 quid tomtom units in their car whilst shopping - surely they should have been bred out of the gene pool by now   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

aaronjb

Quote from: "filcee"-e-e-e-rr- the windows are frameless (you do own a '2 don't you?  s;-) ;-) s;-)  ), so levering against them would result in breakage and noise.

I broke into a car with frameless windows once by levering the window out at the top - zero breakage  s;) ;) s;)  (Just to point out, it was my car..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  The Nissan, though, not the '2 - managed to lock myself out, oops, silly auto-locking alarms  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) So it can be done..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Look at the weather today all those with their hard tops on  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  23degrees this afternoon  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Jigwar

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Look at the weather today all those with their hard tops on  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  23degrees this afternoon  s8) 8) s8)
..... And still

The weather in this country never ceases to amaze! Gorgeous warm, sunny weekend in the south-east and its mid-October   s8) 8) s8)  

Couple of hours motorway motoring down to and back from Folkestone Saturday and some back-lane fun Sunday - all with the top down.

Apologies to those not enjoying such - but be rest assured it is raining now!!

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

aaronjb

I had the roof down several times on the way to & from work last week - despite leaving work in the dark (on the 10am-6pm shift now) - lovely.. crisp dark night, roof down, heater on.. bliss  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

proeliator2001

I've given in early   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    Recovering from a flu bug and facing a drive "up north" I decided to fit the hard top.  It might well be costing me money though as the extra stiffness has made me consider get a breat plate now   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Do love the way the car looks with the top on.

Ernie Ball

This week I did the full detailing treatment to the hard top in anticipation of putting it on the car today: Meguiar's clay, Autoglym Super Resin polish, 2 coats of Wolfgang's Deep Gloss sealant and a layer of P21S carnauba wax.  It took 3 days.

So what happens?  Gorgeous weather this weekend.  Had the top down tonight and it was fantastic.

Maybe next weekend...

kanujunkie

10 MR2's went karting yesterday all with their roofs down, way too early for hardtops

unless you have the Flu, get well soon if so
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm just turning into an old bugger  s:( :( s:(

Turning?  s:P :P s:P   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I actually contemplated getting the hardtop out today  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Mainly due to the air temp, rather than anything else.. it's freezing right now, brrrrrr!

spynish

Not yet...  s:P :P s:P

Ernie Ball

Mine finally went on today.  I don't see it being top-down weather again until spring.  Sigh.

aaronjb

I keep thinking I'll put mine on - and every time I do, we get a nice crisp (cold!) sunny morning again and it's roof down all the way to work  s;) ;) s;)

mrsmr2

Mine went back on last night.  Main reason is because I'm staying away all week and the car will be left outside in the hotel car park overnight.  I would rather have the frost attack the hard top instead of the soft top.

If I was garaging the car most nights I would have kept the hard top off.

I did a couple of 100 mile trips last week with the roof down, it was a bit chilly with the occassional gust of wind but fine inside the car.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

aaronjb

Just put the HT back on mine for the first time in a couple of years - I'd forgotten how good the car looks with it on  s:) :) s:)  Was murder getting it on by myself though!

Anonymous

I've put mine on today.  s8) 8) s8)

proeliator2001

Quote from: "aaronjb"Was murder getting it on by myself though!

Shorty   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Us long armed people have no probs   s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Shorty   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Us long armed people have no probs   s8) 8) s8)

Bah  s:P :P s:P  What's the weather like up there, anyway?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Drove to work with the HT on this morning (obviously, I wasn't about to take it off again in the frost  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) - I'd forgotten how totally different this car is with it on.. So quiet, virtually no wind noise or road noise, you feel all cossetted and cosy, snuggly and warm (well, frozen stiff really, but you get my drift).

Yay  s:) :) s:)

proeliator2001

I liken the hard top to a Buy One, Get One Free offer.  The car looks totally different with it on and as you say, behaves quite different too - like having two cars.  Well worth the extra IMO.

Tags: