Attention Digital Camera Buffs

Started by Anonymous, October 11, 2005, 10:03

Anonymous

I'm looking to buy myself a semi-decent digital camera. I enjoy the one I have (a cheap one) but really, I get put off using it by the fact that it runs on AAA batteries (rechargeable ones) that don't last long enough, the picture quality is not great, it's got massive shutter lag and it's just generally ... naff.

I'm looking at a few cameras now and I'm sure there are snobs out there who will say that Kodak are not the best buy because they're Kodak! but they do seem to be excellent value for money and are getting some great reviews both in magazines and customer reviews on Amazon.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Kodak DX7440 and the DX6490.

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHICH TO BUY???

The 6490 is winning me over slowly with the 10x optical zoom! but the 7440 is cheaper and highly rated.

If I take photo's, it's usually of live music (gigs), my pets or cars at shows etc. Holiday snaps too I suppose! (erm - you know what I mean   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   )

WHAT SHOULD I BUY???    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I know naff all about cameras but when I was looking I read reviews from:

http://www.dpreview.com/

They seemed pretty good.

Anonymous

no problem with AAA batteries if you buy the correct ones, try NIMH 2400mah re-chargable, these dont retain memory if you recharge before they are flat, you can get these of ebay for around £10.00 for 2 sets, i also use a fast charger, takes about 90 mins. cheaper than buying a second battery

Anonymous

my sister's kodak absolutly eats battery life but it is quite an old one now!.

go here  m http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html m

I have a Casio Exilim Pro EX-P600 which was quite cheap but has tons of features, lots of value for money.

Liz

I have a Fuji F10, rechargeable battery which does 500 shots, brilliant little camera, even Craig approves of it!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

any more for any more?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I agree with Liz, I have a Fuji F10 and think its great. I couldn't find a single bad review of it on the web.

Anonymous

Depends on the type of camera and what you want of it. I am intending on doing a little travelling next year for a month or two and wanted something small, light, quick, long battery life and well made (for obvious reasons when travelling really). I also didn't want to spend much more than £220-230. I dont' know how much you want to spend, but I ended up getting the Canon Ixus 50, which in my mind is bloody brilliant! WELL over 300 pictures on a 512Mb card and the charge on the battery should easily take all of those, with flash. The picture quality is excellent for something so small (only the Panasonic Lumix and the Fuji one has a slightly better picture, but they are also slightly more expensive) and it is tiny! The only one I found to be either the same size of smaller was the Fuji and one of the Pentax Optio's, which wasn't very good anyway...

If you don't want to spend that much, then there is the Canon Ixux 40, which is exactly the same camera, but only 4Mpixel instead of 5Mpixel. Its also about £40-50 cheaper, depending on where you look.

Its up to you, but I would go for something like that, or of not, one of the alternatives that I have mentioned above, cos they were all pretty impressive........

Let us know what you think....

Also, the sites that have been mentioned are pretty good, but the DPReview one is american and the names of some of the cameras are different over there. Also, prices are different and there isn't a HUGE number of reviews on there.........but it will give you a good idea.....

Anonymous

in my own personal experience, olympus seem to really kick *ss!!!

Anonymous

I have the Olympus C765uz (uz= Ultra Zoom)
review for it can be found here:
 m http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html m
as well as a host of other reviews for digicams
it is an older model, but it has never let me down and takes great pictures

10x optical zoom
rechargeable battery + charger (NimH does not get a memory from part charging)
4megapixel
to name a few of it's specs and you can pick it up for around £190 delivered. I quite often print A4 borderless prints and love the results I get from it

I have had it for around 10 months and it gets used and abused at least every other day, absolutely brilliant

HTH   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Bluey.

heathstimpson

I have a Canon IXUS700 which is really good and would highly recommend. By the way I'm an engineer for Kodak; say no more  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  The cameras we produce are pretty good but not up to a Canon or Olympus etc IMHO  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

spynish

I'm really happy with my  Canon IXUS 500. also...  s:D :D s:D

loadswine

If you're looking on Amazon and want a decent camera at a good price, try looking at the Minolta G600, 6megapixel, metal body and around £150 or so on Amazon. Maybenot quite as sexy as a Canon Ixus 700,but you do get excellent results.http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dimage_g600.html
Yes I do have one. I think there is a ton of choice out there and guys on here are pretty knowledgable about most things . Just depends on what you want.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

got an Canon Ixus 700 myself, just got back off holiday where i ended up takeing 2300 pictures and really happy with the quality of the pictures  s:D :D s:D  , not so happy with the operator though, particulary after a few at the bar  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

Hey Stu , you need a camera with a lager compensation device!!  s8) 8) s8)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "loadswine"Hey Stu , you need a camera with a lager compensation device!!  s8) 8) s8)

fraid i've only got the anti puke on device

works a treat though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  LOL

heathstimpson

Quote from: "loadswine"If you're looking on Amazon
Bought my IXUS 700 from them as they look to offer the best deals
Quote from: "loadswine"and want a decent camera at a good price, try looking at the Minolta G600, 6megapixel, metal body and around £150 or so on Amazon. Maybenot quite as sexy as a Canon Ixus 700,but you do get excellent results.
Looks really good value for a 6 million pixel minolta  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Quote from: "loadswine"http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dimage_g600.html
Excellent site for impartial advise; have used for years.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"got an Canon Ixus 700 myself, just got back off holiday where i ended up takeing 2300 pictures and really happy with the quality of the pictures  s:D :D s:D  , not so happy with the operator though, particulary after a few at the bar  s:? :? s:?
What size memory card do you use Stu or did you reduce the print quality  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Thanks guys and gals!   s:D :D s:D   Gonna take a look at the Canons and see what I can find then.

Will let you know what I decide on.   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Canon Ixus is the daddy.....they have just brought out the siblack which is gorgeous, but the ixus 30/40 or 50 are perfect and I couldn't be happier with mine.

Great size, superb picture and a huge screen on the back.....You do not need to go above 4megapixels for a normal photographer.

Peter Wright

Anyone with thoughts on this camera, did not want to spend over £200, seems pretty good ????
 m http://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog ... lAodNCKRIQ m
or any ideas for around the same money
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

loadswine

Prefer the Panasonic Lumix FZ18, smaller size and i think its had slightly better reviews , probably the best of the superzooms.
I have an FZ7 and been very happy with it.
No , I'm not an expert, though there are one or two professionals about.
I think it all depends on what you want the camera to do.

Anonymous

Like Loadswine I'm no expert but can thoroughly recommend Cannon gear. A little more expensive but have never experienced a problem and have a real quality feel to them i.e all metal cases, sturdy buttons, good menus and options etc.

I think the most important thing is to decide how you are going to use it. Some are better for photographing sport and some are better for still photos like portraits/buildings etc. Some have better lcd displays (higher res). Do you want better zoom (SLR's) or portable sling in pocket and snap?

Also try not to get too carried away away by Mega Pixels. This is no guarantee on quality and only really makes a difference to the size of the photo.

i.e 5 mp = A3 size print achievable.

Hope this helps.

Tags: