I've ruined my car!

Started by Anonymous, October 19, 2005, 17:04

Anonymous

No, not literally, but as good as.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, but seeing pictures of my car parked next to the Enzo and seeing it sitting on the drive today when I came home has reinforced my feelings.

My car is verging on rice.

Seriously, it is. I've done too much to it too quickly, and it's over the top. The body kit is nice, but not with the spoiler. The wheels are nice, but not with the body kit. The DAMD vents are nice, but not suitable for use with body kit and wheels.

I used to think that I had a reasonable amount of taste when it came to modding, but I think I've proved myself wrong in the worst way possible. I've ruined my own car.

No, I'm not selling any bits just yet (back off, vultures!), but I'm going to have to look seriously at the bits I really want to keep and the bits I feel need to come off. Sorry if this sounds whingy, and I'm not looking for a million people to turn around and say "No Dan, your car is wonderful!", 'cos deep down I know it's not. I just suck at exterior modding.  s:( :( s:(

roger

Sorry you feel that way, but modding is sooooo personal.

My missus keeps saying.."you are going to overdo it", so I am trying hard not to. But there again, its only my own opinion.

P.S. I think the body kit goes nicely with the spoiler   s:D :D s:D
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I also know what you mean this was my first car?

After about 2 months I was board with it, hence it was an unfinished project, so I decided to look for a car that I didn't need to do anything to, hence I bought my 2' (1 month ago) I like it just the way it is, and defiantly no planes for modifications. Maybe a few handling and performance modes, like a sensible exhaust and induction kit.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"P.S. I think the body kit goes nicely with the spoiler   s:D :D s:D

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I forgot you have that combination too!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Sorry mate, no offence intended. I've got a set of stock wheels now, so I might try putting those back on first to see if it looks any better.

dieamond

it's very hard to match different parts from different makers in term of body appearance

first you see each part separatly on very special photos, mostly show cars with perfect lighting, not on a road with grey sky

plus you can just imagine, or mock up with photoshop what it will look like.

the best is to fix in your head what you want your car to look :
- stock improved
- super sport
- super show

and then see how each part you selected would fit

I'm currently choosing my wheels

I first think of black with chrome lip to be "in", but I finally remembered that what I wanted at the beginning was an all out sport look, so it will be simple 6 spokes, Rays, Volk, Yokohama, I don't know, in bronze.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

jonytom

IMO the MR2 is not that great to look at full stop! The reason I got mine was because of the drive - go cart style handling on twisty bends etc...

I'm already wondering if I wouldn't have been better off using my £250 for the Toyota GB body kit (plus another £190 for painting) on more bracing and performance parts? Even if, admittedly, the car does look better, and the kit was a real bargain!

My suggestion is sell off some of your cosmetic items and use the cash for something else - turbo perhaps?

You could of course sell the entire car (vultures at the ready) and buy something more aesthetically pleasing, but no doubt far less fun to drive?
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonytom"My suggestion is sell off some of your cosmetic items and use the cash for something else - turbo perhaps?

Check my sig  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

There's no way in hell I'm ever selling this car: My plan is to keep in in as good a condition as I can, for as long as I can. Ultimately, I'm thinking it would be really nice to pass on a car like this to my kids (when I have them and when they're old enough!).

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "jonytom"IMO the MR2 is not that great to look at full stop! The reason I got mine was because of the drive - go cart style handling on twisty bends etc...

s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

I love the look of this car in its stock configuration.  What would you consider a good-looking car?

Anonymous

vulture circling..........can I have first dibs on the DAMD vents?  Body kit and spoiler had better look good or I'm in trouble  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

jonytom

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I love the look of this car in its stock configuration.  What would you consider a good-looking car?

That Punto further up the page for a start! (phwoar).

Seriously though, off the top of my head I like the new Range Rover, most Audis, Fiat 500, Mini (old style), MX5 (now I'm in trouble), Lotus Esprit and my favourite - Zonda (I dare say this may well drive better than an MR2 as well, but there's the slight issue of my bank balance).

Appearance and ride are about personal preference. So is deciding which of these is your priority.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"I've been thinking about this a lot lately
Spooky, so have I  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  . Having bought the Toyota skirts on the recent flog off deal, I'm beginning to think "noooo....don't fit them".....and think of that extra weight  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Roger and his better half are the voices of reason - modding is a personal choice that you have to be comfortable with. For what its worth, I think the stock wheels look pretty decent on a MrT kitted car. I considered new alloys rather than refinishing, but couldn't really fault the existing ones.

I personally don't think you've hit the slippy slope of over-rice yet, and your arse-end mods at the weekend will bring the smile back  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

jonytom

Quote from: "Ekona"There's no way in hell I'm ever selling this car: My plan is to keep in in as good a condition as I can, for as long as I can. Ultimately, I'm thinking it would be really nice to pass on a car like this to my kids

I'd like to do the same. The thing is my seven year old says he only wants an old Hilux with 'Monster Truck' wheels, and my little girl only wants the MR2 if I agree to paint it pink!

philster_d

Ill be your son, Dad. And guess what im all grown up now daddy, runs over for a hug.

Philster.

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "roger"P.S. I think the body kit goes nicely with the spoiler   s:D :D s:D

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I forgot you have that combination too!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Sorry mate, no offence intended. I've got a set of stock wheels now, so I might try putting those back on first to see if it looks any better.

remember teh stock wheels you have are 15" all round though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

IMO the MR2 is not that great to look at full stop

are you sure?????  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:!: :!: s:!:

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "jonytom"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I love the look of this car in its stock configuration.  What would you consider a good-looking car?

That Punto further up the page for a start! (phwoar).

Seriously though, off the top of my head I like the new Range Rover, most Audis, Fiat 500, Mini (old style), MX5 (now I'm in trouble), Lotus Esprit and my favourite - Zonda (I dare say this may well drive better than an MR2 as well, but there's the slight issue of my bank balance).

Wow, we really don't agree on this.  I think the Zonda is quite possibly the ugliest car I've ever seen.  Especially the Batmobile back end.

The MX5 does nothing for me.  The others I could take or leave, with the exception of the Audi A4.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

roger

Quote from: "Ekona"

No offence taken, Dan, just my opinion. I was hoping to raise your spirits a bit, just letting you now at least one other person out there likes that combination   s8) 8) s8)
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

jonytom

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Wow, we really don't agree on this.

I bet you like skinny blondes as well! Out of interest Steve, name me a few of your favourite lookers (cars).

Don't think this is too far off topic (mods?) as it just proves the point that you shouldn't care TOO much what other people think in terms of appearance.

Incidently, I only said 'not that great'... And I wouldn't swap my MR2 for anything - well, except for a batmobile    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I have no problem with this thread drifiting the way it is, it makes for interesting reading. I'm surprised to see that there's people who own the car, but don't actually like the way it looks, though... I could never imagine myself buying a car I don't like the look of.

kanujunkie

Dan, know you've had a bit of bad luck with the wheels, but that aside yours aint that bad, its just a case of getting a few bits finished off. The Damd vents, look great, but the fit needs a few detailing bits. They appear to sit proud IMHO, they need to be  either recessed into the cars bodywork or have the edges filled and blended, plus of course the screws!
 The only other thing i'd say is try and keep the back and front of the car balanced, bolting too much one end can upset the other. This is of course a personal view and i know some hate what i've done to mine but its just my opinion so dont take offence
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

See, I really like your car Stu: It's got enough bits on to make it look better, but not too much that it looks overboard (like mine  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ).

dieamond

can you post more pics Dan ?
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

The Enzo one (Clicky) is the only one I really have at the moment that has all the mods on it.

There is this one or this one as well, but they don't show off the style bars (since they weren't on there when I took the photo!).

aaronjb

I've got to say - I don't reckon your car is over-done at all Dan.. Well, I say that.. if it was mine, the only bit I'd change would be the wheels - I'm so not a fan of chrome wheels, or that style for that matter (sorry bud  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s;) ;) s;) )..

A nice set of understated wheels, maybe in anthracite, and I reckon it would bring your car right down out of the 'rice' bracket  s;) ;) s;)

And maybe, just maybe, swap the spoiler for the duck-tail one.. (And get rid of that bit of wire I point at every time you open your engine lid  s:P :P s:P  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: