I've ruined my car!

Started by Anonymous, October 19, 2005, 17:04

Anonymous

Hey, I like that wire!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You want to know the only thing that's holding me back about changing the wheels? And this is going to sound schoolyard-pathetic I know, but it's because everytime someone sees the car for the first time, one of the first compliments I get is "Nice wheels!".

See? Told you it was pathetic. Unfortunately, with me compliments will get you everywhere.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

*EDIT* Any more of that Stu and I'll post up the Pink Picture again.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Got to admit, when I first saw the title.. that's the first thing that came to mind! "Oh hell, what's he done this time.."  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Dan - I know what you're saying about the wheels, but I reckon you'd get the same compliment with a nice set of anthracite wheels - or even a set of fairly deep dish split rims with anthracite centres and polished rim (someone just got a set on IMOC - know the ones I mean?).. Or go retro and get hold of some Yokohama Super Advans.. mmm.. Super Advans.. Always wanted a set on the ZX  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Right, anthracite coloured pre-'03 stock wheels it is then. And if they look crap, I'm blaming you.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Funny though, I was thinking the same thing with regard to the colour of the stock wheels. I still like them on that picture of the stock silver '2 I saw in Mr T's.

aaronjb

s:D :D s:D

Actually, I think a set of similar style wheels (five spoke) but with 'fatter' spokes would look nice - anthracite centres and polished lip..

I decided I really wanted a set of wheels with 'fatter' spokes after seeing this pic of my car btw:
 m http://www.mr2.net/gallery/elvingtonsep ... _2170.html m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "jonytom"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Wow, we really don't agree on this.

I bet you like skinny blondes as well!

Who told you!

QuoteOut of interest Steve, name me a few of your favourite lookers (cars).

Well, I love the look of the Boxster and the current Carreras.  Love the Gallardo and the MurciĆ©lago.  The Ferrari 456GT Scaglietti might be the most beautiful car of all time.  Among more sedate models, I love the current Volvos (!).

I like clean lines and I don't like things like wire mesh.  I can't stand the Enzo and never liked the Diablo because their lines aren't clean.

I like the lines of the '2, particularly when viewed from the side and front.  I like its looks so much that I can't imagine wanting to put a bodykit on it.  Sure, skirts all around look OK, but I really don't like the widebody kits at all (no offence to those of a different view).  For instance, I think this is an abomination:

Liz

Dan mate, you are on a right downer today aren't you....I like how your car looks..honest and I especially like the fitting of the fire extinguisher!!   s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Fire extinguisher install = Ghetto engineering at it's finest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I think I'm just having pre-turbo blues.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ekona"I think I'm just having pre-turbo blues.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

guess we'll know when its over with the OMG!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  posts
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

jonytom

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Well, I love the look of...

Boxster - urgh! Apart from that can't really disagree, except for the Volvos. Scaglietti certainly is beautiful.

Lines on the MR2 are good, I just think it sits way too high and the front lights are too big. Also, it could do with looking a little more aggressive.

Yes, some wide bodykits are terrible (the one you've pictured is a good example), although personally, I think the Monocraft GT300 improves the car no end.

You ever been to a major car show Steve? My 'not that great' comment stems from a trip to the NEC a few years back (before I bought the MR2). If you see a huge range of cars all at the same time, it helps put them into perspective.

I was lucky enough to go on the press day, when there wasn't that many people around and I could get a good look at everything. For me the MR2 looked pretty ordinary compared to many of the cars there - some I've mentioned already, and so have you!
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

aaronjb

Must admit, I do think the Mk3 looks a little 'ordinary' too - especially the pre '03 cars, the foglights & updated front bumper really helped the front end of the car IMHO. The pre '03 bumper just looks.. bland and amorphous.

I agree on the sitting too high bit too - we seem to be much taller than even the MX5, and tons higher than the VX220 (which, incidentally, I'd love to own  s;) ;) s;) )..

Having said that, it does look a lot better than probably 80% of cars out there I reckon  s:) :) s:)  And most of the ones that look better than the '2 are well out of my price range..

Ernie Ball

Well, the other day I was driving around and asking myself whether I'd trade my car for some of the cars I see around.  And, basically, there aren't too many out there I'd trade for and certainly none in the same price range.  I'd trade it for a Boxster or a Carrera, sure.  And I'd certainly be tempted by an M5 (yeah, no kidding) or one of those Audi S models.  But other than those and more exotic stuff, I can't think of anything.

Now, of course, that's not just a question of looks.

Yeah, I've been to a auto shows.  I went to the Los Angeles auto show (among the largest in the world) a few years back and saw more amazing cars than I can remember.

Of course, in Dublin, we never get those sorts of shows.  But thanks to the Celtic Tiger, I have seen plenty of exotics around on the streets.  In addition to the Orange Gallardo that some guy was crazy enough to register in Ireland (vehicle registration tax would've been insane on that car), there's also Bono's Maserati Quattroporte (as well as another one), a few DB9s.  Just yesterday I saw a very well-preserved, big, fat, stainless steel Delorean.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"Must admit, I do think the Mk3 looks a little 'ordinary' too - especially the pre '03 cars, the foglights & updated front bumper really helped the front end of the car IMHO. The pre '03 bumper just looks.. bland and amorphous.

I agree on the sitting too high bit too - we seem to be much taller than even the MX5, and tons higher than the VX220 (which, incidentally, I'd love to own  s;) ;) s;) )..

Having said that, it does look a lot better than probably 80% of cars out there I reckon  s:) :) s:)  And most of the ones that look better than the '2 are well out of my price range..
Have to agree and when lowered it really improves the 2 IMHO  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

philster_d

I can tell you the view that sold the mk3 to me.

From behind with the roof down looking over the back into the cabin.

Looks like the car in Outrun.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

*Hooked*  *line reels in*

*Philster strugles feebly to resist*

/Philster.

dieamond

i don't see what you don't like

except the wheels

everything looks stock to me...
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"And, basically, there aren't too many out there I'd trade for and certainly none in the same price range.

Despite what I said, I'm exactly the same really - I'd consider a VX220 Turbo, but they're still a price bracket above the '2 really, and aside from that then you're up into exotica that carries an exotic price tag (y'know, the kind of thing Dan wants to buy  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Me, jealous?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Quote from: "philster_d"Looks like the car in Outrun.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Best you get a respray in red then eh Phil?  s;) ;) s;)

*goes off to find a copy of Outrun*

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"we seem to be much taller than even the MX5

I would disagree with that. I don't know the MX5, but I often see people with the top of their heads above the windscreen. Same on the Z3. This might just be the seat runners, but IMO it makes the package look cr*p, despite what the car might look like on a garage forecourt.

And Dan, sorry mate, but if you want my opinion, and I hope I am not out of order (remember I was brought up on Morris Minors) whilst I think your wheels are great in themselves, I don't think chrome goes. That would be the one thing I would change. Though they are certainly nice enough to get a wad load of cash of somebody else for them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"I would disagree with that. I don't know the MX5, but I often see people with the top of their heads above the windscreen.

Ah - I dunno about that.. I was just comparing door line to door line - pulling up next to them at the lights, look at the level where the door ends and glass starts, it's a good bet they'll be lower down than you (unless you've lowered your '2, of course, then it might be about even).

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "roger"I would disagree with that. I don't know the MX5, but I often see people with the top of their heads above the windscreen.

Ah - I dunno about that.. I was just comparing door line to door line - pulling up next to them at the lights, look at the level where the door ends and glass starts, it's a good bet they'll be lower down than you (unless you've lowered your '2, of course, then it might be about even).

I'll do that, and no, I'm not lowered. Maybe they have bigger windows ??  s:? :? s:?  

However I would rather my position in the car looked more like Alonso et al than the Pope  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Ernie Ball

There's no question that the window sills on our car are higher than on the MX5.  But I don't think we sit any higher.  We just have taller doors.

roger

Just been reading Liz's new toy thread... why didn't I think about it before.

Liz and Simon can get out the tape measure for us, and resolve the point once and for all   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

jonytom

Not sure measuring will help. After all it's not a question of reality, it's about how it appears to be!

(Jeez, that was a bit Zen. I'll be trying to confince you that other cars are more feng shui than the 2 next. Need to lie down!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock: )
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

roger

Quote from: "jonytom"Not sure measuring will help. After all it's not a question of reality, it's about how it appears to be!

That was my original point about the drivers head, the MX5 and Z3 both appear to be high cars when its being driven. At least if we know the dimensions we can at least agree to disagree   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

jonytom

Must confess, I hadn't been factoring in what both cars looked like with someone inside - you've certainly got a point.

MX5s for small people who like to pose and MR2s for tall ones that prefer to drive - that's the way to go!

roger

Quote from: "jonytom"Must confess, I hadn't been factoring in what both cars looked like with someone inside - you've certainly got a point.

MX5s for small people who like to pose and MR2s for tall ones that prefer to drive - that's the way to go!

s:D :D s:D  Agreed
Roger

Tags: