If MR2 Roadsters werent invented what car would you have?

Started by Anonymous, August 27, 2003, 16:47

Anonymous

A bit OT, but I'm a huge fan of Evo. I figure that I'm only ever going to buy a car every two or three years. In between times the only things I want to read about in a car magazine are cars that I'll probably never be able to afford, or places to drive your car too. Evo does both of those, with a good dose of the best car photography I've ever seen.

Take this month. The GT3, CSL, C-Spec article. It's facinating cos the cars are great, the scenery is beautiful, and writing is interesting. It's as much about the journey and the places as it is abou the cars.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I like to know about ALL cars, not just ones that are supposed to go fast and look good......(but there is nothing wrong with that!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )
Fair enough.  Personally I don't really need to hear about the new Fiat Panda, or the lastest Corsa Spam Charriot, hence why I get evo.  I think I've probably had every one since they first started printing a few years ago, in fact I wish I'd kept them now as early issues are going for a price on eBay already!

--H--

Anonymous

Ehy up!!! I'm not slagging Evo, just pointing out the other mags out there, thats all!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I actually wuite like Evo and agree with everything that was said about it, but those things can also be aimed at my preferred read, Car. Good articles, good cars, cracking photography (if I recall, both Car and Evo use a lot of the same freelance photographers, so there can't be that much in the photography) and just generally a good read.

Anonymous

Sorry!

I didn't think you were slagging evo!

I used to get Autoexpress now and then but was only interested in half the contents as I'm not interested in reading about family cars, MPVs etc, that's why I only get evo these days.

--H--

Anonymous

s'actly!

Keep passing the open windows  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Yep, fair enough. Can see the point.

I suppose I am a bit more of an "anorak" when it comes to cars maybe?   s:? :? s:?  

I am VERY sad.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:? :? s:?    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

Quote from: "John Woodward"Enjoy your track day and be prepared to be astonished at how good the RS really is. I don't like Fords at all, but I would be quite tempted by one of those.........  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Well, just to follow up on this - I did enjoy the day, but only got 10 minutes in the RS (about 4 laps), which I was a little disappointed at, as just as I was getting to grips with it then I had to come in    s:( :( s:(  
I then went out with the instructor for 3 laps and found out what it could really do - boy did he chuck that thing into the corners!!  seemed rather understeery though...

It was quick in a straight line, but i wasn't blown away by it.  The cornering was pretty fantastic, but obviously different to the way it felt in my 2 - same track different car, I didn't feel that much faster in the rs, although timing was not allowed so i couldn't tell for sure..

Overall, I think I'd still get one, but probably only if it was cheap enough, perhaps 2nd hand?  not worth 22k new or whatever they are... much rather have an elise 135   s:D :D s:D   or possibly vx turbo
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Well, just to follow up on this - I did enjoy the day, but only got 10 minutes in the RS (about 4 laps), which I was a little disappointed at, as just as I was getting to grips with it then I had to come in    s:( :( s:(  
I then went out with the instructor for 3 laps and found out what it could really do - boy did he chuck that thing into the corners!!  seemed rather understeery though...

It was quick in a straight line, but i wasn't blown away by it.  The cornering was pretty fantastic, but obviously different to the way it felt in my 2 - same track different car, I didn't feel that much faster in the rs, although timing was not allowed so i couldn't tell for sure..

Overall, I think I'd still get one, but probably only if it was cheap enough, perhaps 2nd hand?  not worth 22k new or whatever they are... much rather have an elise 135   s:D :D s:D   or possibly vx turbo
Lucky Git!   s:x :x s:x    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Chris wrote:
QuoteWell, just to follow up on this - I did enjoy the day, but only got 10 minutes in the RS (about 4 laps), which I was a little disappointed at, as just as I was getting to grips with it then I had to come in  
I then went out with the instructor for 3 laps and found out what it could really do - boy did he chuck that thing into the corners!! seemed rather understeery though...

It was quick in a straight line, but i wasn't blown away by it. The cornering was pretty fantastic, but obviously different to the way it felt in my 2 - same track different car, I didn't feel that much faster in the rs, although timing was not allowed so i couldn't tell for sure..

Overall, I think I'd still get one, but probably only if it was cheap enough, perhaps 2nd hand? not worth 22k new or whatever they are... much rather have an elise 135  or possibly vx turbo

Chris, you have said pretty much what the guy at the Ford stand at Millbrooke said earlier this year. Its a great car, but can scare you witless on the road and is much better on track. BUT, and this is a BIG but, it really is a compromise on road manners and all out track ability. At the end of the day, its still a tall family hatch and what you have said about it sums the car up nicely. A little understeery (which is the safe option. The family thing again), didn't feel as quick as you thought (trust me, they ARE quick, but again, you have the comforts of the fmaily car again) and not as pointy in the corners (back the the family basis again). Very fast car in the right hands and for 99% of people looking to get a fast, good handling car, then its the dogs. For people who know what they are doing (not saying you don't!), then its a little dissapointing and its a shame. Better off sticking with the 2 for driving thrills to be honest, or of not, then go for one of your other choices. I have tried both and can't split them, but for sheer grunt, I don't think you can beat the VX220T!!!! Elise is VERY good though!

If you get one, can I have a go?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

Quote from: "John Woodward"Very fast car in the right hands .... For people who know what they are doing (not saying you don't!), then its a little dissapointing and its a shame.

Definately - the instructor bloke knew how to handle it and threw it into the corners and knew how to control the slides!  He did say that it felt a bit detached though - not as alive/communicative as the clio's he had driven on the previous weeks renault day

I think that's the crux of the matter - most people don't know how to get the best from these type of cars and so think they are wonderful as they never exceed the cars capabilities, but pro/experianced drivers can push the car to uncover it's weaknesses...

QuoteBetter off sticking with the 2 for driving thrills to be honest, or of not, then go for one of your other choices. I have tried both and can't split them, but for sheer grunt, I don't think you can beat the VX220T!!!! Elise is VERY good though!

Exactly my thoughts the '2 will be with me for a while yet, especially while i'm still learning track skills - i heard a wise track bod say once 'learn the limits of your current car before getting something faster!'

QuoteIf you get one, can I have a go?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yep, and vice versa, if you beat me to it!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Chris wrote:
Quotethink that's the crux of the matter - most people don't know how to get the best from these type of cars and so think they are wonderful as they never exceed the cars capabilities, but pro/experianced drivers can push the car to uncover it's weaknesses...

Absolutely. That is why there is a good argument to say that some of the faster cars on the road today are actually the safer ones as they have actually been designed to stop, go and corner at much higher limits than other cars and on 99.5% of the time, any normal Joe like you or I would NEVER exceed those limits and if you do, then you only have yourself to blame. Clarkson said that the safest car on the road was also one of th fastest, the Porsche 911 Turbo. Why, cos it has the most amazing brakes on any road car. I can see his point......

QuoteExactly my thoughts the '2 will be with me for a while yet, especially while i'm still learning track skills - i heard a wise track bod say once 'learn the limits of your current car before getting something faster!'

Couldn't agree more. Stick with it and it will reward you. This side of the Elise, there is little better......

QuoteYep, and vice versa, if you beat me to it!!  

Right, you're on!!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  [/b]

juansolo

Quote from: "Chris"seemed rather understeery though...

FWD, TADTS.

FWIW, one of the only FWD cars that I've ever driven around a circuit and enjoyed was the 205 Gti.  It's goon-tastic but in the end it's still FWD and there is only so much you can do with them.  I know if it was mine I'd get bored of it quite quickly.  However on the road it was an absolute scream, so much fun it was indecent.  I haven't driven a modern FWD car that can come close to the communication through the wheel and chassis.  Amazing little car.

Edited to add:  Not entirely true it's the only one I enjoyed.  Citroen Xantia diesel on sheet ice at Elvington was absolutely hilarious.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

juansolo

Quote from: "Hardcore"I didn't think you were slagging evo!

That's my job!  (mention evoness just once and I'll be dispatching war rocket Ajax to recover your body...).

*casts mind back to Performance Car, the last great car mag*   s:( :( s:(  

The best thing out there at the moment is Circuit Driver (if that's your thang).  Covers sports/track/race cars, driving technique, car setup, etc, etc.  Could do with being a little thicker but then it is largely devoid of crap and padding.

Chris

Quote from: "juansolo"
Quote from: "Chris"seemed rather understeery though...

FWD, TADTS.

front wheel drive i got, but tadts?   s:? :? s:?
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

They All Do That Sir.... ?

And while we're on it... here's some TADTS for the VX220:

- Windscreen Wiper fall on the bonnet when you lift it, scraping away paint.
- Leaky soft top, the modified VX-Turbo roofseal can be retro-fitted to VERY leaky roofs)
- Rattles and creaks - the VX is a firmly suspended car with little soundproofing. Potholes sound like someone is hitting the undertray with a sledghammer, and whirrs, creaks and the odd rattle are quite normal
No, the passenger seat isn't supposed to be adjustable !
- Doors can get rattly over bumps - easily remedied by adjusting the door pins to get better tension.
- The heater isn't as hot as some.
- The cabin air intake has no filter and throws dust, gravel and wildlife liberally over the cabin when the fan's on.

Courtesy of http://www.vx220.org.uk/.

See it's not just the '2 that has a few "problems"  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

juansolo wrote:
QuoteFWIW, one of the only FWD cars that I've ever driven around a circuit and enjoyed was the 205 Gti. It's goon-tastic but in the end it's still FWD and there is only so much you can do with them. I know if it was mine I'd get bored of it quite quickly. However on the road it was an absolute scream, so much fun it was indecent. I haven't driven a modern FWD car that can come close to the communication through the wheel and chassis. Amazing little car.

I on;y drove the standard 205, so never got the "thrill" of chucking one of the supposed best FWD cars ever made, but I HAVE driven a 106GTI and a 106 Rallye and I kid you not, I was STUNNED by the ability of the Rallye. Incredible little car. I only had the keys to it for about 20mins, but JEEZ, what a little car! Back to the old "high power, no weight" thing again cos the feedback and the stopping a going in this thing was pretty close to as much fun as you can have in a car without having to go at silly speeds to achieve it. I loved it and would probably considerone now if they still made them. Shame they fall apart and the white, steel press wheels go rusty 48 hours after purchase!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

phil4 wrote:
Quote- Windscreen Wiper fall on the bonnet when you lift it, scraping away paint.
- Leaky soft top, the modified VX-Turbo roofseal can be retro-fitted to VERY leaky roofs)
- Rattles and creaks - the VX is a firmly suspended car with little soundproofing. Potholes sound like someone is hitting the undertray with a sledghammer, and whirrs, creaks and the odd rattle are quite normal
No, the passenger seat isn't supposed to be adjustable !
- Doors can get rattly over bumps - easily remedied by adjusting the door pins to get better tension.
- The heater isn't as hot as some.
- The cabin air intake has no filter and throws dust, gravel and wildlife liberally over the cabin when the fan's on.

Yeah, but Phil, of we can put up with some of the crap that the '2 throws at us, for the sheer driving thrill, I could put up with ALL of the above!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Yeah, but Phil, of we can put up with some of the crap that the '2 throws at us, for the sheer driving thrill, I could put up with ALL of the above!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Cool  s:) :) s:)   Would just hate people to get the impression that we're the only ones with problems.  Especially as if someone interested in a '2 comes here, and reads through the maintenance section, pretty much all they get is problem after problem after problem  s:) :) s:)

juansolo

Quote from: "phil4"They All Do That Sir.... ?

:thumbup:

Anonymous

There is always the classic route, perhaps a Lotus Elan, quick and full of cheap ford parts.  Only problem is they tend to breakdown.

Chris

Quote from: "colindanks"Only problem is they tend to breakdown.

Isn't that a TADTS for (old?) Lotus's (Loti?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
[/size]

spyderman

Miatahhhh.....
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

Tags: