Whoops!

Started by aaronjb, October 24, 2005, 09:56

aaronjb

I'm sure some of you will remember me saying "I've never had the back end come out unexpectedly on the road" before now.. Well.. I knew I shouldn't have said that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Admittedly, I was half expecting it - some of you might know where it happened - There's a roundabout affair in Windsor, at one end of the funny little 'one way system' (if you came down the A355, second exit at the big roundabout at the end, then it's the first one you come to after the bit of national limit dual carraigeway)

It's not really roundabout shaped, more of a < shape for the bit you're going round, with a nice water inspection plate cover sunk nicely where your nearside wheels go if you're in the outside lane.

I kept my foot in just that little bit harder than normal and .. wheeeeee.. Thankfully I collected it before it got out of hand - and thankfully the Civic that had been beside me was just behind me at that point.

I'll try not to repeat that, fun though it was, on the public roads  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Its the slippy time of year Aaron! Diesel and slime all over the roads at the moment. Glad you're OK.

I've often wondered why inspection drains are allowed to be placed on high-risk bends though. It invites accidents, even at low speed.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Love driving in countries with more space, where all service drains and pipework are alongside the road. No dig-ups and uneven surfaces  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Its the slippy time of year Aaron! Diesel and slime all over the roads at the moment. Glad you're OK.

It certainly is - I'd say I was only using 15-20% more throttle than I normally would in the wet around that corner..

QuoteI've often wondered why inspection drains are allowed to be placed on high-risk bends though. It invites accidents, even at low speed.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I know - there's one on the exit to my own road that makes the inside rear spin up every time I leave the road in the wet, then there's one half way round pretty much every roundabout between home and work I reckon! Good planning, that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

Slightly OT, but reminded me of an old mate who took me through several near-death spin experiences in his shoe-horned Scimitar. The only way he could get traction was to tether the old engine & g'box in the boot - which sort of defeated his efforts to improve power:weight!

Even with well over half a ton directly over each axle & decent boots, he couldn't keep the car straight even when it was going straight  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Dear me, if I had 1p everytime I am saying "Whoops!" I'd be rich.  Well, maybe not.  But I had the rear end coming over to say hello even at 0mph when wet.

kanujunkie

thank God for a slippy clutch  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  or the yeeeeee hahs would be makeing an appearance  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Bah, and here I was expecting Aaron to have made a Dan-Style© cock-up with his car, judging by the title. I came in to gloat and everything!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Still, now you know how the rest of us feel, matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Bah, and here I was expecting Aaron to have made a Dan-Style© cock-up with his car, judging by the title. I came in to gloat and everything!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I own a set of axle stands, remember  s:P :P s:P

QuoteStill, now you know how the rest of us feel, matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Indeed I do - just think what yours is going to be like with the turbo  s;) ;) s;)

Group buy on RaceLogic Traction Control anyone? (I can't recommend that stuff enough - had it on my first 300ZX and it is a fantastic bit of kit. Adjustable slip, and launch control is to die for  s;) ;) s;) )

Tags: