TRD Brace

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2005, 12:49

Anonymous

Does the TRD brace prevent the fitting of the cover on the spare wheel well?

If so, I guess that the well will be exposed to rain water, preventing it being used for carrying luggage.  Does the alarm module, under the spare wheel suffer from exposure to the wet?

dieamond

Quote from: "peterb"Does the TRD brace prevent the fitting of the cover on the spare wheel well?

yes

QuoteIf so, I guess that the well will be exposed to rain water, preventing it being used for carrying luggage.  Does the alarm module, under the spare wheel suffer from exposure to the wet?

I use it everyday  :-) :-) :-)
the rain won't come in
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

roger

Quote from: "peterb"Does the TRD brace prevent the fitting of the cover on the spare wheel well?

If so, I guess that the well will be exposed to rain water, preventing it being used for carrying luggage.  Does the alarm module, under the spare wheel suffer from exposure to the wet?

The spare wheel cover has to be left off.

Never had any problems with wet getting in, but I have kept the larger compartment cover on.

I think the "alarm Module" may in fact only be the siren. Stand to be corrected. In fact some have moved it out of the spare wheel hole to a bulkhead UNDER the cover (Phil4?)  i.e. more exposed to climatic changes, and AFAIAA  no problems have been reported.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

edward.carter

my alarm speaker has been  moved under the plastic cover , it is quite high up though, but no probs as of yet!

Anonymous

I hear some people have modified the cover so it still fits. Just by cutting a couple of slots in the side.

I expect there is a guide on here somewhere ?

roger

Quote from: "oos_ya_daddy"I expect there is a guide on here somewhere ?

Don't think there is, though I can defintely recall discussion.

This might help

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/April/trd_front_strut_brace_install.htm
Roger

Slacey

There was a template made for the Cusco bars, I don't think there is one for the TRD though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Two's Company

Quote from: "oos_ya_daddy"I hear some people have modified the cover so it still fits. Just by cutting a couple of slots in the side.

I expect there is a guide on here somewhere ?

I remember that picture too, can't find it though.  

The cover was installed so that the strut tower (top) couldn't be seen with the plastics in place   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Thats a usefull guide !

Cheers !

Wold love someone to make a template so you can still use your lid !

Think ill atempt it. But will keep looking for a guide to cutting ????

s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

roger

Quote from: "oos_ya_daddy"Think ill atempt it. But will keep looking for a guide to cutting

Just measure, draw, measure, draw, place in position, draw, measure, cut less than necessary.

Repeat 5 times = one side done!

TBH a template could well vary when posted on a computer / web and then transposed to a printer. You are much better off diy and taking great care. The more care, the better it will look.
Roger

kanujunkie

and dont use the marked areas on the plastic shield as a guide as they dont line up!!!

guess how i know that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

About the lid with TRD STB...there's VERY little room between the bar and the bin/hinges. I'm not sure if it would make any sense to cut the cover enough to make it fit.

Get another bar, if you need the lid  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Ok. Point taken, Think Ill just loose the lid !

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

anyone came up wioth instructions on trimming/fitting the lid then?

Ernie Ball

If I were you, I'd just give up on the lid.  It's what I plan to do.

Apparently, despite what one would think, water does not get into that compartment even with the lid missing.

Anonymous

probably will jsut give up on it bud but just thought id check if was anyone out there done this yet. hhmmm lid or the brace, tough choice......NOT    s:D :D s:D

dimwit

Quote from: "Slacey"There was a template made for the Cusco bars, I don't think there is one for the TRD though.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Sean do you have the template for the Cusco?..

mg

Anybody know an internet supplier for rubber moulding to dress up the cut edges in the plastic frunk cover created when fitting the strut bar?

I found this: Thames Valley Supplies

They say they will sell short lengths, but I could not find an order page.  I've looked for other applications and could only find PC Modding pages as part of kits.
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

roger

Quote from: "mg"Anybody know an internet supplier for rubber moulding to dress up the cut edges in the plastic frunk cover created when fitting the strut bar?

I used a very narrow (<5mm??) flexible pre-glued door edge strip that I bought from Motorists Discount. IIRC no more than a couple of quid at the most.

I would guess any car parts shop (internet or otherwise) would have it or similar.
Roger

Anonymous

You got any pics of this?

roger

Quote from: "reddi"You got any pics of this?

Best i can do  without taking more. You can just make out the rubber strips

Roger

Anonymous

cheers bud. so is it a simple case to fit then?just unscrew bolts then screw back on

roger

Quote from: "reddi"cheers bud. so is it a simple case to fit then?just unscrew bolts then screw back on

Yes you are right. Its actually NUTS that come off, the bolts are part of the suspension unit and feed throgh the bodywork. Fitting the bar is the easy bit. Its the cutting the holes in the compartment cover that takes the time.

You could leave that off if you wanted to and not do the holes.

Doing that has 2 advantages:

1. MrT (or you) doesn't have to take the strut bar off before access is required to under cover components, and

2. You have a pristine cover to put back on the car should you sell it, and want to try and get some money back on the strut bar (God forbid   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Three other pointers for fitting:

1. When you have the nuts off don't move the car. Can't say if suspension geometry might change if you did, but not worth the risk.

2. You will see a "silver" horse shoe shaped suspension support around the bolts. This is not needed with the bar. In fact if you did keep it on, you might find the bolts have very little length on which to grip the nuts. In fact first time round I left the support on and buggered one of the bolts just for this reason. Fortunately I can get the nut on properly with care, but I am making sure only I do it - not leaving it to MrT or he could really mess it up.

3. Finally, if you have access to torque wrench, the bolts should be tightened to 29 lb/ft. Again, to avoid a possible upset to the geometry, I went round in succession 5 or 6 times tightening each one a bit at a time. May be unnecessary, but I like to be careful.

BTW this is one of the easy mods    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

mg

Quote from: "roger"I used a very narrow (<5mm??) flexible pre-glued door edge strip that I bought from Motorists Discount.

Is this it? (1 metre slim black for £2.95)

Defender Door Guard Strip

Picture here
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

roger

Quote from: "mg"
Quote from: "roger"I used a very narrow (<5mm??) flexible pre-glued door edge strip that I bought from Motorists Discount.

Is this it? (1 metre slim black for £2.95)

Defender Door Guard Strip

Picture here

Pretty sure thats exactly the stuff. Subject to the usual let out clause, of course   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

<edit> It is. Just checked the packet </edit>
Roger

Tags: