6 speed gearbox in '52 plate 2's?

Started by Anonymous, October 26, 2005, 15:13

Anonymous

Did 6 speed boxes go in all '52 plate MR2's or is it just some of the late ones.

Im after an '03 on the basis of the 6 speed box and the body tweaks would be nice to have but Im not having lots of luck finding one. So Im looking at '52 plates as well???

In fact if anyone knows where there is a silver or sable grey with air con and leather for sale and a 6 speed box then Id like to hear from you...

roger

6 spd only on the facelift models started around 03, the easiest way to spot them is the foglights.

Inchcape Oxford had a sable 54 SMT a few weeks ago, but don't know other spec. May still be there, 01865 291300. About £13K from memory.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"6 spd only on the facelift models started around 03, the easiest way to spot them is the foglights.

Inchcape Oxford had a sable 54 SMT a few weeks ago, but don't know other spec. May still be there, 01865 291300. About £13K from memory.

Really? ok...I knew that '03 onwards defo had 6 speed but I thought I read somewhere that some or all '52's had them as well...IVe seen some advertised with 6 speed ('52) but maybe thats an advert mistake then.

Cheers for the Inchape info.....Im after manual only though....in fact theres not loads around that match my requirements....which means Ive got to be patient...which isnt really me.....

roger

There could obviously be an overlap when the new ones came in, and the old went out. So you would have to be careful and not go by registration only.

Have a look here...

This is Inchcapes website

http://www.autobytel.co.uk/

They have 4 sable / silvers under used cars.
Roger

roger

By the way.. somebody may correct me, but I think sable only came out on the new ones. If I am correct, and it is sable, then it should be 6 spd.
Roger

mrsmr2

The facelifted cars with 6 speed box started on a 52 plate, not sure what month it was though - I don't think all 52s were facelift models though (but could be wrong).

Sable was only availble on the facelift cars.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

jonytom

Not sure, but I think it might have been mid October 2002
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mrsmr2"The facelifted cars with 6 speed box started on a 52 plate, not sure what month it was though - I don't think all 52s were facelift models though (but could be wrong).

correct they did, they started the facelift cars in November 02, you may find a few import cars with the facelift lights and front bumper only but they were only available on the Japanese market
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

We just bought a Nov 02 car with facelift and 6 soeed box. But from our searching they are hard to find.

Jap GT300

I had an 02 import, i forget which month but this was a facelift with 6 Speed.

roger

Quote from: "lemac"In fact if anyone knows where there is a silver or sable grey with air con and leather for sale and a 6 speed box then Id like to hear from you...

Here you are..............

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=108976&sid=5f0bf5aef494cfe059692810ccac7e8e#108976
Roger

filcee

Quote from: "lemac".....I'm after manual only though....
Why?  ... I would advise you try the SMT just to see what it's like, otherwise you may be walking away from the car of your dreams (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"
Quote from: "lemac".....I'm after manual only though....
Why?  ... I would advise you try the SMT just to see what it's like, otherwise you may be walking away from the car of your dreams (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?)

SMT = Too slow.....and I like gears and a clutch..its prob just a personal thing.

filcee

Quote from: "lemac"SMT = Too slow.....and I like gears and a clutch..its prob just a personal thing.
I see  - the hype has got you then  s;-) ;-) s;-)  If you want the truth search for some of my older posts  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Quote from: "lemac"SMT = Too slow.....and I like gears and a clutch..its prob just a personal thing.
SMT definitely has gears and a clutch, you just don't have to waggle two limbs about in order to change gear - you can do it all with your digits!

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"I see  - the hype has got you then  s;-) ;-) s;-)  If you want the truth search for some of my older posts  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Hype?  Am I missing something?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

roger

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "filcee"I see  - the hype has got you then  s;-) ;-) s;-)  If you want the truth search for some of my older posts  s;-) ;-) s;-)

The hype that SMT is an automatic. You  know it isn't, I know it isn't, so why doesn't everybody else!!

Probably Auto express readers - see other post   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Roger

Anonymous

Oh, I thought the hype refered to performance.

Well, I almost understand why people like my little niece who just got her driving license would mistake sequential gearboxes for an automatic...

heathstimpson

There are a few 52 plate facelift versions as remember the 03 is from March 2003. I test drove a 52 facelift model  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

filcee

Quote from: "Emmanuel"

Clearly, I'm not being clear.

Hype, as in all the BS that gets spread about SMT being slow.  It isn't.  It just does not match the 0-60 time of the full manual because of the way it has been programmed[1].  But other than that, it's at least as quick, if not quicker than a plain old pudding stirrer manual 'box.  The reason it's (apparently) slower to 60 is because the '2 has to go 10k miles between services, so has been programmed to be gentle on the running gear.  I'd rather that than having the 'box and drivetrain rebuilt every 200 miles just to shave a second or two off a feature I never use, and to be able to change gear in 0.000000001020201 of a second.

Having said that, I have heard (Spyderchat, I think) that you can rev it to a stupid engine speed and pop the lever into first gear and it takes off like a scalded cat - good 0-60 times result, but the clutch and gearbox make funny noises if you do that.  Funny as in noises they shouldn't make, which means you are not being nice to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if side-stepping the clutch in a manual has a similar effect, as well as making the clutch smell bad too.

Ergo, if you do this a lot, expect your service & repair bills to increase accordingly.

I get the feeling I have said all this before ... which must mean I'm getting boring to read.  I'm off to change the copy'n'paste source now ...

[1] No, I don't know if it can be re-programmed, before you ask.  Even if I did (and I really don't) I'm not sure I would, because Toyota's R&D budget for these things is sooooo much bigger than mine, therefore they have a better chance than me of being able to afford to get this wrong.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Tags: