Brake Caliper Painting

Started by Anonymous, August 28, 2003, 11:40

Anonymous

Any tips?  Any idea how long each wheel took?  Presume you left the wheel off for a while after painting... how long?

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Any tips?  Any idea how long each wheel took?  Presume you left the wheel off for a while after painting... how long?

Not long, I put the wheel right back on and moved onto the next one myself.

Slacey

My dealer actually did mine, but I am going to give them another coat as the paint is a bit thin in places. The advice I was given was just to take your time and be careful with the brush!
I'm going to take the wheels off to do it (I have to now with those multi-spokes), one at a time (only have the Toyota jack) and then put a rag on the inside of the rim in case any paint drips. I then won't drive the car for 24 hours to make sure it has dried properly.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

I painted mine myself, and it took about 30-45 mins per wheel because I was being careful!  I also had to go back and do the first one again as the paint was really watery when I started, and didn't thicken up for a while...

I have 2 jacks so left the wheels off for a few hours and then didn't drive it for a few more hours (the tin says to leave if for 24hrs)

Tips:

1) Make sure you have time to paint them all before it starts raining, or else you'll be driving around for months with only the fronts painted...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
2) Don't mix the hardener and paint in a plastic pot, unless you too want a rosso red heat resistant drive!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"unless you too want a rosso red heat resistant drive!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

As I've got a red motor... that wouldn't look too out of place  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"I have 2 jacks so left the wheels off for a few hours

Why the need to leave the wheels off? There's ZERO possibility of a wheel touching a caliper, unless you have some serious geometry problems...   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Chris

dunno, just made me feel better, as i thought there would be more air around to dry them!

just my strange ways...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"Why the need to leave the wheels off? There's ZERO possibility of a wheel touching a caliper, unless you have some serious geometry problems...   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

And I'm guessing if it did, you might have something looking similar to a Mr R. Barichello's recent problem with a Ferrari rear left.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Slacey

Quote from: "pmdye"Why the need to leave the wheels off? There's ZERO possibility of a wheel touching a caliper, unless you have some serious geometry problems...   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
All I can say is that when I bought those 17" rims, they had red paint splodges on them where the guy had painted the calipers and it had dripped while drying onto the wheel. That's why in my tips above I said put the wheel back on, but stick a bit of rag inside the rim to catch any drips.

dancarbon

Any preference to paint manufacturer?

I was going to use the Halfords stuff, but I was hoping to do them silver or black and Halfords only do Red, Blue & Yellow.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Try FoliaTec or FolioTec (sp? sorry!) They should sell that in halfords too... near the max muppet section.

Anonymous

Another vote for Foliatec. Comes with a cleaner spray as well.

MR2Blue

I used Foliatec too, also bought from Halfords, gave each caliper two coats and still have more than half left in each tin, annoying thing is you are advised not to drive the car for twenty four hours to let the paint harden.

Anonymous

I also did my own using Foliatec bought from Halfords. They do it in Silver, Black, Red, a beautiful Gold and a horrible Blue   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  . took 3 hours give all four calipers two coats. Looks the dogs danglies.

dancarbon

I will have to go and find some, the trouble is I feel far too old to be in that section of Halfords!
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Why, how old are you dancarbon? No one will be bothered how old you are as long as you have the readies to give them. You could always wear a disguise, say, blonde wig, skirt high heels, sussies stop it ,stop it. Other option try mail order. Good luck.

MR2Blue

GOLD!!! Urgh, it's just so seventies   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Now your showing your age, mind you, you did say you are 70year old MR2blue  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Where are the pics, Cartell!!?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Slacey, why do you want pics   s:? :? s:?  , don't you believe me. Seriously, I will post them as soon as I can.

Slacey

Quote from: "cartell"Slacey, why do you want pics   s:? :? s:?  , don't you believe me. Seriously, I will post them as soon as I can.
Yes, Cartell, I do believe you, as Kris said on the other (Chester) thread, I love gold!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I'm on 12 hr days next two days, just for you Slacey I will get them done Friday   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Quote from: "cartell"I'm on 12 hr days next two days, just for you Slacey I will get them done Friday   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I'm touched!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I've heard  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: