Next car

Started by Anonymous, November 8, 2005, 20:12

Anonymous

So i've had my '2 for over 3 years and it's time for a change. I have ideas what i want to look at but thought i'd ask you lot what you would go for if you changed, up to £30k, incase there's some models out there i've overlooked, or you have any experience with. Also not bothered about a new car so can be upto 4years old, on the look list so far is

350z roadster
porsche boxster s
porsche 911(996) cabriolet
z4

Anything less pratical than the '2 is out, so, even though i really like, the elise, it is a no go   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .It has to have no roof   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Boxster S gets my vote. If I ever had to get rid of the '2 and get another roadster, that's the one I'd go for. Power, control, looks, comfort, practicability... It's got the lot.

But only if you can afford the parts and servicing. They ain't cheap.

markiii

I wouldn't go for the Z purely based on cost for maintenance and fuel consumption, plus while it's quick it left me somewhat unmoved.

how about a TVR Chimera?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Boxster S gets my vote as well but as Dan says the running costs are rather high; speak to Perry as he has one now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  My 2 is three years old in March but I cannot think of anything that is really comparible when you look at the whole ownership picture  s:? :? s:?  That's hwy I'll probably be keeping her for a little while yet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Yeh the boxster is high in my list, i've been in contact with Perry quite a bit and he's very impressed with it. Running costs i'll look into.

I sadly only put 14k miles on my '2 in my time with her   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  so petrol consumption and running costs isn't too much of a concern.

I just don't like the look of the Chimera, it may be a nice car but not my cup of tea.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Yeh the boxster is high in my list, i've been in contact with Perry quite a bit and he's very impressed with it. Running costs i'll look into.

I sadly only put 14k miles on my '2 in my time with her   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  so petrol consumption and running costs isn't too much of a concern.

I just don't like the look of the Chimera, it may be a nice car but not my cup of tea.
Funny but I like the look of the TVR; it's the shite build quality that puts me right off  s:? :? s:?  The interior looks good as well  s8) 8) s8)  What about a Aston Martin DB7; they are the business  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Anything less pratical than the '2 is out, so, even though i really like, the elise, it is a no go   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Why do you think the Elise is less practical than the '2 ?   s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Hanslow"
Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Anything less pratical than the '2 is out, so, even though i really like, the elise, it is a no go   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Why do you think the Elise is less practical than the '2 ?   s:? :? s:?
Probably that agro hood  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Series 2 isn't aggro tho (the short roof version). OK you really need to get out to take it off (although you can do it from inside), but it only takes 20 secs or so....

Anonymous

My friend had an elise and i wouldn't say it was as pratical a car as the '2 but that's not the point i meant. I just realised alot would say an elise as an option but i have already ruled it out of my list as i feel it's in the same "group" as the '2, if you know what i mean   s:? :? s:?  

DB7 is a step or 3 out of my league, i'd have no change for a 10year old model    s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

M3 convertible?

proeliator2001

Jaguar XKR

Maserati Spyder 2002 model just creeps under 30k

Audi A4 cab - bit of a more practical dull to drive car but it would last for years.

Old shape Merc SL.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"M3 convertible?

a bit pimpish don't 'cha think!??    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "jamesr1"
Quote from: "Ekona"M3 convertible?

a bit pimpish don't 'cha think!??    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
One of favourites for the mums at my kids school; says it all  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Jaguar XKR

Maserati Spyder 2002 model just creeps under 30k

Audi A4 cab - bit of a more practical dull to drive car but it would last for years.

Old shape Merc SL.
All would be included in my list.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

mercedes slk 320

heathstimpson

Quote from: "mefarri"mercedes slk 320
Yes the new Merc is much better looking and more of a sports car than the last attempt  s8) 8) s8)  But watch that airbag (see post in chit chat)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dreambackup

Boxster S from your list.

Caterham from mine  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mefarri"mercedes slk 320

Now that's a good choice, but, they are all (or seem) automatics. I know it's all the rage in luxury cars but i need to have a manual or atleast a semi automatic.

Maserati spyder is nice, but i would imagine running it to be high, i do like though   s:D :D s:D  

I watched an old 5th gear last night, you'll probably remember it, where they where looking for the best "true" sports car. They had the s2000,mr2,mx5,tvr,elise,vx220,radical and others but the winner in their opinion was the boxster, Tiff did make it look good thrashing it around a track.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

xdesign

There is no car like the MR2.

We have the following pluses

Handling
Fun to drive
Maintanance costs
Consumption

Now, I have many friends who changed their MR2.

Two bought S200
One Boxter S
One M3
Three Evo 6, 6.5, 8
One Subaru Impreza Sti
Honda Type - R
911 Turbo

What they all say? They miss the Mr2!!! Not that they don't have great cars, but they're not as fun to drive! The only car that compared to the game the MR2 offers, would be the M3, which is very costly to maintain. The 911 of course is an amazing car, you can drift you can do anyting, but it's dangerous.

The Typer - R is front wheel.. no comments
The S2000 is a faster car, still not as fun to drive as the MR
Evo and Subaru, the same. Too safe for my taste! No fun, lots of adrenaline though.

That my thoughts, and that's why I'm not in a hurry to change it!

But if you must, consider the Mazda RX8 Cosmo.

Anonymous

I'd have an S2000. Bored by Boxsters (two mates have had them and they leave me cold)..

Anonymous

[edit] HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Just seen which topic i actually put this post on!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  how did that happen?!? I'm sure I saw someone mention a '5 in a favourable light around here somewhere...    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    [/edit]

I have a confession!    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

After the earlier mention about the new MX5, I went to check one out at the local Mr mazda yesterday.

I was really quite impressed! To begin with, the inside is absolutely gorgeous, I couldn't believe it!! probably, and i know this is a big statement, but probably the best i've seen the inside of a car look!

The outside still looks a bit too 'mx-fivey' for my liking, especially the back, waayyy too curvy and feminine, i prefer em a bit more agressive, but hey, it's an improvement on the mk2. And i think probably the best bit, the bit that would possibly convert me, is that the 2litre model, is ONLY £16600!!!!

The top of the range 2.0sport, with ALL the options is only £18900!!!!!!!

although I was slightly dissappointed with the performance, the 2litre, running at 160bhp, does 0-62 in 7.9secs   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  . Sound familiar anyone!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   (not to mention the fact that they've pinched our roof design!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)  )

MRMike

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"So i've had my '2 for over 3 years and it's time for a change. I have ideas what i want to look at but thought i'd ask you lot what you would go for if you changed, up to £30k, incase there's some models out there i've overlooked, or you have any experience with. Also not bothered about a new car so can be upto 4years old, on the look list so far is

350z roadster
porsche boxster s
porsche 911(996) cabriolet
z4

Anything less pratical than the '2 is out, so, even though i really like, the elise, it is a no go   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .It has to have no roof   s:D :D s:D

I considered all these when I swapped! Here is my unbiased extremely accurate write up!

350Z Roadster

What Mark said! AFter living with the 350Z coupe for 9 months, I have to say there was a lot to like about the 350Z.  It is stonkingly fast in a straight line, with awesome torque, making the increase in speed seem linear with each gearchange.  IT also made a bloody fantastic noise.  I also liked the BOSE stereo that comes with it.  What I don't like is the fuel consumption, the niggling problems with the car, clutch, tyre feathering etc.  But most of all it's too heavy to throw around and really enjoy taking by the scruff of the neck

Porsche Boxster S

Fantastic car, does everything so well, steering is faultless if a little light for my taste, brakes fantastic, usable power throughout the rev range, with a spine tingling top end zing.  Downsides for me is it seems to do eveything so well it's rather devoid of character.  It just doesn't do anything for me! Second downside is the servicing costs, as being mid engined without access to the engine, any repair to the engine is usually a complicated affair gulping large amounts of labour time.

Porsche 911 cab

IMO the best choice out of the bunch, takes the best bits of the boxster, and adds a charismatic engine, with an unconventional engine layout for a car with bags of character that IMO the boxster is devoid of. Every journey would be an adventure in a 911

Z4

What are you mad? O  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Only one I would slightly consider is an alipna with the M3 engine, or the 3.0 litre which doesn't feel anywhere near as quick as you would expect a 3.0 car to feel. Gearbox feels mass produced, engine feels like the parts bin engine it is.  Again doesn't do a lot for me, and feels like your paying for the badge, and marketing rather than the engineering.

Personally if I had so few miles to do I would buy something mad, like a Tuscan/350C that you can take a risk on it not starting.  My best mate had a tuscan which was riddles with problems, but as your getting it second hand one most of the problems should have been iron out by the time you get it by previous owners.

Other than that I can recommend an S2000, which feels like it was made by engineers rather than a marketing team .e gearbox is amazing, best 4 stroke engine in the world, no ESP, small wheels, lithe handling.  

Another to consider, surely early Noble's must be edging the 30k barrier now?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"... I can recommend an S2000, which feels like it was made by engineers rather than a marketing team .e gearbox is amazing, best 4 stroke engine in the world, no ESP, small wheels, lithe handling.

I echo the S2000 sentiment  s:) :) s:)  

Happy New Year all!   s:D :D s:D

juansolo

Quote from: "xdesign"The 911 of course is an amazing car, you can drift you can do anyting, but it's dangerous.

To be honest modern 911s are so sorted that you'd have to be driving it like a complete numpty to get yourself into trouble.  Older ones had interesting handling traits that you had to adapt to, but that's nothing more than someone going from a hot hatch to an Elise for example or from a low powered car to a S2000 (other cars that in the past has been described as dangerous.  Unforgiving maybe, but that is very different from dangerous.).  

You can't expect to jump in any car like that and drive it fast.  Most peoples idea of throttle control is binary, try that in any of the above cars and it's time to bring out the diesel/tyres/handling excuse out, then shout how dangerous it is and how it's the cars fault...  Basically blame anyone but the driver.  It winds me up.  If you run out of talent, you run out of talent.  I've done it myself on a fair few occasions.  Costs you in the wallet and damages your pride, but to blame the car would be wrong.

As for the original query, £30k will buy you a lot of car.  I was looking at a low milage S2k for £16k with a hard top, £15k buys you a new Impreza WRX.  It depends what you want.  If you want a sports car for the road, look at the S2k and the Boxster S, both are cracking cars.  Of course there is the Elise/VX220 option if you want to forego some creature comforts.

As for missing the 2, yes and no.  There are days when it would be fun and times when I'm happier in the WRX.  Depends what you're after at the time.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: