Celica 190 Engine

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2003, 09:50

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Ok, lets expand this thread even further. Would it be possable to drop a second 2 engine in the front  s:?: :?: s:?:  

If they managed to drop an extra engine at the back of the TT why couldn't they drop one at the front of the MR2???

Space would be one issue but I reckon a boxer could just about fit...

Now, imagine if the standard engine at the back was replaced by a boxer as well... And imagine if those boxer engines had turbos...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"
Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"
Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"It's power characteristics would be totally unsuitable for the 'snappy' mr2 anyway.

I think Cin, LR and the people in Japan would disagree.

have you driven a vvtli engine? t works in fwd installation fine, but if you were cornering hard when lift came in.....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

...and what?  The NSX seems to do fine...?

I believe the NSX is a bit heavier and has more traction/less dramatic breakaway due to that weight, longer wheelbase, wider rubber.?

btw, thanks for your input CIN.  I think my preference would be an sc, but seeing as how there's not enough room, a progressive turbo (from TTE????) would do.  The vvtli is huge fun in the Celi when lift kicks in, but does suffer from lack of torque(has less than 140 iirc)  and lack of go below 4k, has a little more btween 4&6, then takes off

Actually the difference in torque is more then compensated by the much closer ratios of the 6speed.  The celica engine has more power in practically all of the powerband.  You must also consider than I run the engine with a Power FC  s;) ;) s;)

The turbo will probably be faster than the celica engine inthe straights and have much more torque down low for normal driving.  In a circuit however a properly set up 2ZZ will be hard to beat especially in the corners.  The engine has superb response and if kept above 6k(which an be done if you know that you must change gears everytime the revs drop)it is a little beast.  s:) :) s:)

A turbo will also have lag but you can always put an anti lag on it to improve it   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Actually Iwould like to see an MR-S turbo with antilag   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Ok, lets expand this thread even further. Would it be possable to drop a second 2 engine in the front  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I would like to point out at this stage.....before being flamed from every angle......this is just a silly idea that popped in to my head & I have no plans to try it & yes it would ruin the perfect handling of the 2....blah, blah, blah..............

Would be interesting though  s:!: :!: s:!:

WTF?

You are the original nutter!

Not that nutty, saw a VR6 on Men & Motors with 2 engines. Pulled a 3 point something second 0 to 60 & Top Gear had a twin engined car attempting some sort of acceleration record.

Yeah, your right.....I'm the original nutter  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Quote from: "Rusty"We could also install dilythium crystals in the storage bins for a bit of extra "poke"

OK smart arse, where would you put Scotty  s:?: :?: s:?:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dimwit

Yep, i saw that mate, think it was 2 kwak zx12r engines...
Did hold the record 0-60 time..

Darth Paul

Quote from: "RUSTY"We could also install dilythium crystals in the storage bins for a bit of extra "poke"

That's a bit old hat isn't it? TRI-lthium is all the rage now, y'know!  s:D :D s:D  

DP

Anonymous

Wouldn't we need bi lithium crystals with us having MR2's  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

I read about a twin engined R5 GTT that ran mid 9sec 1/4's.

It was 4WD as well.

Anonymous

So my original idea suddenly doesn't seem so silly after all  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

http://www.knights19.freeserve.co.uk/twin.htm

And it's not like the VW W12 engine is that dissimilar an idea either.

Anonymous

any one know where i can get one of the T-sport engine in UK??i m seriously thinkin that i want to put a 2ZZ in my spyder. if anyone know any 2zz engine for sale please let me know..

sam

Anonymous

Quote from: "lautll421"any one know where i can get one of the T-sport engine in UK??i m seriously thinkin that i want to put a 2ZZ in my spyder. if anyone know any 2zz engine for sale please let me know..

sam

ok look, no offense, but if you don't know where you can get a 2ZZ from without asking I don't think you'd be able to do this kinda drop...

Anonymous

i will get the fitting kit from TPS in japan as i got contact and almost gettin parts from japan every month, i done similar kind of drop in my RWD corolla AE86 with the balck top 20V engine with refiguration of waterpipe, manifold and distributor and so i think this will be a good project for me...... if anyone know any info please let me know, IF i dont find one here with a reasonable price then i will prob get one from trial Japan 2ZZ/3ZZ stroked Full kit with power FC

cheers

sam

Tem

Quote from: "lautll421"corolla AE86 with the balck top 20V engine

Just for the record, 20V to AE86 is a lot easier than 2ZZ into MR2  s;) ;) s;)

You might wanna check  w www.spyderchat.com w  forums, lots of info there about this swap.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "lautll421"corolla AE86 with the balck top 20V engine

Just for the record, 20V to AE86 is a lot easier than 2ZZ into MR2  s;) ;) s;)

You might wanna check  w www.spyderchat.com w  forums, lots of info there about this swap.

A LOT!.

Anonymous

thats why i will enquire about tps in Japan to get me a kit  already made engine mount, harness and manifold!!!not cheap but a lot easier!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

sam

SteveJ

Quote from: "lautll421"thats why i will enquire about tps in Japan to get me a kit  already made engine mount, harness and manifold!!!not cheap but a lot easier!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

sam

What about the gearbox primary shaft (or custom built drive shafts if you go with the Celica gearbox)  s:?: :?: s:?: :?::?:

There is a lot more to this conversion than you seem to realise - otherwise we would have all done it by now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "lautll421"thats why i will enquire about tps in Japan to get me a kit  already made engine mount, harness and manifold!!!not cheap but a lot easier!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

sam

I hope you have a good project manager because this is a major undertaking (I am not saying that it can not be done).  I agree with Steve, there might be more to it than you anticipate and the amount of time required to get the car rolling with the new engine might surprise you.

It's been ages since I last logged in Spyderchat but, if I remember correctly, two guys have done it.

Have you thought of the alternatives? Going for a turbo of some sort or even getting rid of the MR2 for a car that's faster, i.e. an Elise.

Anonymous

well i dont need the celica box as i have a 6spd on my car  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

there are somethin i need to ask TPS or Trial in japan but it should be ok

the reason i think not many ppl have done that i think is becos all the price that add up will cost more than a turbo, i agreed but i love to rev the car and keep it in that zone and no lag thrill!!!!may be i m watchin too many Hot Verion Touge battle with the spirit MR-S.....  s:D :D s:D  

sam

SteveJ

Having the six speed box does not mean you have the celica primary shaft - you will still need to change it - the 1ZZ flywheel has NOT (to the best of my knowledge) changed between the pre & post face lift cars - hence the shaft is still wrong.

Anonymous

You'll still have a sort of lag whilst you wait for it to hit 4k, then 6k for lift.

Anonymous

may be i should say responsiveness rather then lag......

Also i will make sure i will get the complete package from Japan

sam

Anonymous

Even if the shaft was right, I very much doubt that even the newer 6 speed box could handle the Celica engine for too long.

Anonymous

if
TPS in japan use the 6 speed box ok and it should be fine and the six speed box is quite strong.......anyone can host video on their site??>?i really want to share the hot version video with everyone

sam

Anonymous

yeah i can... how big is the video? If its under 5mb send it to  e mailto:mr2roc@mr2-roadster.co.uk">mr2roc@mr2-roadster.co.uk e

markiii

the 6 speed is the same as that in the celica so it should be able to surely.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: