More SMT / Clutch / Battery problems

Started by Chris, November 17, 2005, 13:42

Chris

It looks like I may be going down the same road that SteveJ and Mph went down with their troublesome smt's...   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

On my journey to work this morning, the smt warning light came on, but it was still driving ok so I carried on.  Then, as I was pulling off onto the m25 slip road, the gear display disappeared completely and the car juddered and splutted to a stall at the side of the road, with the smt warning light being joined by the trc off, vsc and engine warning lights!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I tried starting it again after a few minutes and to my surprise it started ok and even realised that it wasn't in 5th gear any more, but I've still got the warning lights.  Hopefully, there should be code for mr t to read off and diagnose the problem, although from reading all the posts on here I suspect that it's either a problem with the battery again (I had problems a few months back with it going flat easily) or the clutch being worn, as there was a noticeable burning smell when I got to work...

The car has been on a few track days, but none for a while, and I would've thought that a clutch should last longer than 26000 miles!!
I'm hoping it's just a battery issue, as it was very cold this morning, so I had lights, heaters and radio all going and maybe the smt hydraulics pushed it over the edge...  but then again the alternator should be recharging it over the 45 mins or so the trip takes surely??
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

mph

The main thing is to get the OBD codes off it. The garage claimed that mine failed after the hydraulic pump relay stuck on, consequently pressurizing the system until the GSA internals went bang; though after replacement it was never quite as smooth after..
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SteveJ

The failure on mine was the cross-gate hydraulic actuator had a leaky seal which meant whenever I changed from 2nd to 3rd the hydraulic pressure dropped too quickly for the pump to keep up which made it shut down.

In the process of fixing it, they managed to reconnect the hoses in the wrong order resulting in a rather nasty incident where the car selected reverse at about 50mph on the test drive   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

6 weeks (and 2 complete sets of hydraulics & electronics) later I finally got the car back. Like Martin's, it was never the same although I did get a later version of the software which made for a slightly quicker up-shift. The only down-side was sometimes it snatched the clutch on 2nd gear resulting in a few neck-snapping moments  s:( :( s:(

Chris

I've just been your old threads today steve, hope i'm not without my car for 6 weeks!!!

Spoke to the dealer today, and they can't fit me in until 2 dec!!   s:o :o s:o  
Do the codes stay around until they are cleared by downloading or do they go when the light goes out?

The pump noise is no longer than it always has been, so i guess it's not sticking on, and i'll try and notice if any of the shifts are quicker than others.

oh well, here goes for the journey home...  the battery is going on charge as soon as i get in, assuming i make it!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=100]
[/size]

Chris

It gets stranger - made it home with no problems, and all lights went out when restarting after filling up with petrol...

Still, it was only showing about 11v on my meter, so I've stuck it on charge and will look at getting a new battery tomorrow..
[size=100]
[/size]

Chris

New battery now fitted, and things seem ok for now as i've got no lights, although I've lost the codes i guess...

Driving around with no radio on does mean that you hear every little annoying rattle though, and i can also hear the smt pump coming on about every 1or 2 minutes which i would think was too soon?  No wonder the battery was flat if it's doing that all the time...

anyone like to share how often they can hear their pumps coming on please?
[size=100]
[/size]

Chris

Quote from: "Chris"anyone like to share how often they can hear their pumps coming on please?

I take it that's a no then?  Go on someone, turn your radio off and see if you can hear/time it for me, pleeeeaaasssseee!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

filcee

Sorry Chris, haven't had time to reply.

I can't hear the gearbox pump when I'm driving.  I'm not sure whether I've ever heard the gearbox pump in either of my SMTs, other than when I open the driver's door after it's been standing for a while.  Should I be able to hear it cutting in & out whilst driving? I do have the hardtop on at the moment, so maybe that is making the pump harder to hear - but I don't recall ever hearing it whilst driving around with the top down during the summer (then again, I wasn't listening out for it either ...)

Not much help I'm afraid, sorry  s:-( :-( s:-(
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

SMT
I have only ever heard the pump when opening the door

Anonymous

same for me... only when i open the door. I did however have the same problem with my smt. stuck in gear and when i stop, the engine stalls. and it only happened when i had lots of stuff switched on (it happened 3 times since i have the car) and i had no problem to start the car after. Which is why it led me to believe it was the battery. I did get a CEL (code 1647 i think?). but since the last time it happened, it's still going fine (except for my oil problem, but that's an entirely differnt story)

Nicolas

Chris

Thanks for the replies...

I would've thought that you'd be able to hear it, but maybe it's just that i'm hyper sensitive at the moment...  I must admit that it is hard to hear at normal road speeds, but i can certainly hear it while pulling upto/away at lights/junctions etc.

I did think mine was battery related, but the problem has returned since replacing my battery for a new one.  Now whether this means that the new battery is down to the levels the old one was (althought status light is still showing green), or whether it's another problem is anyone's guess...  

It does only usually happen at the start of journeys in the mornings or evenings, when the blowers have been on and i've been going through town to get to the motorway, so it could be that all the gear changes through town are wearing the battery down and the motorway run is charging it a bit again, before being run down again on the run through town to home...

on the other hand it could be a dodgy clutch, as it does drag the changes sometimes (flares the revs), or a leak in the smt pressure system somewhere leading to the pump overactivating and flattening the battery...

I'm just hoping that the garage will be able to find something wrong on friday, as the warning lights keep going on and off, so there may not be a code for them to read..
[size=100]
[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "Chris"on the other hand it could be a dodgy clutch, as it does drag the changes sometimes (flares the revs),
I get this too - it's like a CVT moment, revs rise a bit then it's as if the clutch engages fully.  I have noticed it seems to happen more regularly lately, but had put that down to me not being in 'press on' mode when driving.  Seems to clear up if I'm getting on with things and changing up at a more reasonable, 3.5k-4.5k engine speed.

Hmmm ... hopefully this isn't becoming a symptom of anything serious  s:-? :-? s:-?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Jap GT300

BTW you never lose the codes completely.  I think our ECU stores the last ten so I would still get your OBD read.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jap GT300"BTW you never lose the codes completely.  I think our ECU stores the last ten so I would still get your OBD read.

The engine ECU does, but the SMT ECU doesnt - it clears down when you switch the ignition off  s:!: :!: s:!:

Thats why mine took 6 weeks to fix - they had to drive the car around with the hand-held reader plugged in until the error light came on, and then read the code (and no they werent blagging it so they could use the car for playing in - I spent 2 days with them trying to confirm the error codes  s:( :( s:(  )

SteveJ

Quote from: "filcee"
Quote from: "Chris"on the other hand it could be a dodgy clutch, as it does drag the changes sometimes (flares the revs),
I get this too - it's like a CVT moment, revs rise a bit then it's as if the clutch engages fully.  I have noticed it seems to happen more regularly lately, but had put that down to me not being in 'press on' mode when driving.  Seems to clear up if I'm getting on with things and changing up at a more reasonable, 3.5k-4.5k engine speed.

Hmmm ... hopefully this isn't becoming a symptom of anything serious  s:-? :-? s:-?

I got the same thing in all 3 of my SMT's - even from brand new they slipped the clutch on upshifts to 5th (same on both the 5speed and 6 speed versions!) Once I had the 6 speed box I just missed out 5th gear  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Hi guys,

New to the site so let me first of all say a big HELLO to everyone.

Im Alison form Blackpool and i have a MR2 MK3 complete with SMT.

Was browsing the site when i came across this topic on the SMT failure.

My gearbox crashed on me last week, same symptoms as described above. Gear display dissapearing and not being able to get it past 2nd gear.

My car was with Toyota all last week. Blackpool Toyota didnt have a clue what to do with it so they got on to "Toyota Technical" who advised it needed a replacement clutch and ECU.

Got the car back Friday running like a dream but by Saturday it was up to its old tricks. Only this time its cutting out completley and my display panel of warning lights is lit up like a Christmas Tree  !!!! HO HO HO   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So it's back of to the garage again today, and i get to drive a lovely Yaris courtesy car for ANOTHER week.

All i can say is thank goodness for Warranty !!!

Does everyone have trouble with the SMT ?  or am i just one of the unfortunate ones ?   s:? :? s:?  

Its only done 11,000 miles so would'nt have expected it to be messing up so soon.

dreambackup

not everyone has problems with the SMT. mine is 40000 miles and except for the clutch slip between gears, it's flawless.

about the clutch slipping between gears, don't you think it's because of our longest final gearing? I'd be curious to talk to someone who has a US or J-Spec 6SMT...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Chris

just a quick update - mine went in on friday and is still in the garage now!
They haven't said much apart from that they have found some error codes and they are sorting them out.

Not sure whether the length of time it's taking is a good thing or not... they have either found a big problem and it takes a while to fix (clutch replacement maybe..) or they don't know what they are doing and are stalling for time...  Still, at least I've got a courtesy Yaris now - except that I have to change gears manually and I feel like I'm driving a truck!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Chris,

Dont mean to worry you but it took Blackpool Toyota 2 days to change my ECU and clutch.  1 day for parts to arrive and 1 day to fit it !!

So you can only assume its something more serious, i'd give them a chaser call if i were u !   s:? :? s:?  

My car went back to Toyota this morning and they have called this afternoon to let me know it will be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon.

The mechanic hadn't checked the fluid levels after installing the new bits and bobs !!    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Fingers crossed its sorted out the problems.    

As for the Yaris........................   !!    I know your pain    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Hi Chris

Been having a similar problem to yourself. Other day early 'cold' morning driving along and SMT stuck in 1st gear. Pulled over, restarted engine, problem gone but got warning light.

Few days later, similar problem except stuck in 3rd, couldn't change up and down. Restarted, problem sorted. 2 mins later LCD gear display turns off and lose all my gears, no engine power and then get the 'engine' fault sign.

Took it to Toyota today and got them to run diagnostics on it, told error code p1880 (apparently could be something to do with some motor, can't remember the name ??accentuator motor??) They aren't sure if this is exactly the problem as could be another 14 or so parts.

However it is interesting you mentioned the battery. Had problem starting the engine the other day so also wondering if my battery could be a little low, after all this problem only happens for the first 5-10 mins on a cold morning, (afternoons and longer drives are fine).

The motor they were on about costs around £500, i've asked them to be 'sure!' they know what the fault is before they start chucking new engine parts in, they're gonna get back to me after they've consulted Toyota themselves.

How are things with yours? Any better with the charged battery?

Rich

Chris

an update for you all:

I heard yesterday that they have ordered a new pressure valve and i should get the car back next week, so i can finally get back to proper driving   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rich, the problems persisted after a day or so after changing the battery, so while it may be a factor, i'm not entirely convinced it was at fault after all.

I'll see if i can get a explanation of the diagnosis and fault codes faound when i pick up the car next week.
[size=100]
[/size]

Chris

Picked up the car today, and it seems ok at the moment   s:D :D s:D   There was only 1 guy in this morning and he didn't know any details, so will have to speak to someone else later to try and get details of what was wrong and why it took so long...

It definately feels strange being back in the '2 after a month in a Yaris - so much smaller, lower and rattlier!! Still, it'll be nice getting used to not having a clutch again though!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Oh, and Happy New Year to you all!!
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

I'm having all these problems too!

Did you guyes, get this all sorted out in the end?

Is it something to do with actuator pressure?

I've had a new ECU fitted, and had the tans "retrained", but in the mornings I get gearbox lights, "locked" gears and engine stalls.

Chris

Hi Jetter,

Replacing the valve seemed to have done the trick on mine - I still need to find out exactly what work was done though - the garage seems to be having trouble locating any paperwork at the moment though...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
[/size]

Tags: