Snow

Started by Anonymous, November 17, 2005, 16:21

Anonymous

whats the 2 like to drive in the snow? jsut wondered as never had a mid engined car and also its low down so if high snow is it ok or do you guys not use it?

edward.carter

im actually not looking forward to the snow either, it is my everyday car and back is a bit a twitchy in the wet, so snow should be interesting! think just have to drive  mighty slow....somehow...  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I drive my '2 everyday so when it snowed earlier this year I was a bit worried. I though the '2 behaved admirably and felt quite solid on the road. I managed to spin the odd wheel in a car park but nothing dramatic.

I should point out that the dusting of snow was nothing in comparison to what you guys further North might find.

edward.carter

cant wait to find myself a nice big car park   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mph

Quote from: "reddi"whats the 2 like to drive in the snow?
Really depends on what tyres you've got fitted. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Bridgestone S03s perform extremely 'awful' (I can attest to that, though a lightweight flywheel really doesn't help) whereas Goodyear Eagle F1s perform as good as 'badly'. I suspect Toyo to perform around the same as Goodyear. If you're on snow, dropping tyre pressures will help, but remember to put them back up again. Personally I'd say ice is much more problematic. If you haven't already done so, I'd strongly recommend finding the nearest skid-pan course centre and booking yourself in.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Rhonsmr2

I know mines a mk2 but I dooooooooooooooooooooooo love the snow  s:D :D s:D

Liz

IMHO it is awful in the snow, had a nightmare trip in some heavy stuff a few years ago.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

I thought the MR2 was pretty docile on all the snow & ice we had two/three years ago (bearing in mind they don't treat the estate I live on at all).. In fact, no harder to handle than my old FWD cars really - just be gentle with it and don't try to come shooting out from any junctions..

Then again, I never had problems with the 300ZX either (even the automatic one).. maybe I just drive like the proverbial granny  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

There's no maybe about it...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"There's no maybe about it...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bah, cheeky sod  s:P :P s:P
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

JMHO, but it's the best RWD car I've ever driven in snow  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

But like mph already said, it's all about the tyres. Doesn't help much, if the car itself would be great, but the only contact to road sucks. And generally performance summer tyres are useless on snow. Some more, some less, but anyway.

Then again, being mid engined and RWD, it can surprise you, if you don't know what you're doing. So be careful out there if you doubt yourself  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Michigan gets more than its share of snow.  Most tires with good tread will help.  The key is to be very smooth in all driving actions and conditions.  Save the nonsense for empty parking lots .... crashes occur less frequently.

karlus972

Driving an MR-S in snow conditions is just a nightmare. I drove mine last winter (I live in Bavaria) and we had heavy heavy snow from December till March. It's purely UN-DRI-VABLE if you want to drive safely.......well if you wanna drift in every single curve, then, bob's your uncle   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Well that's why I bought a Renault 5 for winter and my 2 (as you say   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) sleeps now in the garage   s8) 8) s8)
Madinina Style!!

Jap GT300

And don't bother with Yokohama studless snow tyres either.  Last xmas I bought three damaged MR-S from the far east and they all had these tyres on!

I do still have one set available though if someone wants to try them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

what if its realy high snow does it get up into your engine since car is low?

kanujunkie

how deep you talking?????

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

just the unuasl 3-6 inches

Anonymous

Quote from: "reddi"just the unuasl 3-6 inches

The cars not that low....it's not a go-kart!!

Anonymous

yeah true,   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

guess ill need to go have some un in a carpark then   s:o :o s:o )  well once its snowing

Tem

Quote from: "karlus972"Driving an MR-S in snow conditions is just a nightmare. It's purely UN-DRI-VABLE if you want to drive safely.

Please don't tell you drove with summer tyres on snow? You don't walk in snow with flat sandals either, do you?  s;) ;) s;)  And even if you did, it wouldn't make YOU a bad walker in snow, would it?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What I'm trying to say is, please don't say the car sucks, if you don't give it a chance  s:? :? s:?

Quote from: "Jap GT300"And don't bother with Yokohama studless snow tyres either.  Last xmas I bought three damaged MR-S from the far east and they all had these tyres on!

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the tyres are different depending where they are sold. For example most winter tyres sold in Germany are more or less useless up here  s:? :? s:?  Even though they are supposed to be the same, they just aren't. I can only imagine what sort of "winter" tyres they have in far east  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Mr2chris

Well I have to say the 2 is the first RWD car I've driven in the snow, I just got back from work which is 30 miles and a mixture of every road imaginable!
It handled very admirably considering!
However hills of any incline (let alone considerable incline) were a big issue of you didn't drive slow/smoothly/under 2k revs you would find yourself going sideways pretty quick!
Braking was usless as usual the abs made it impossible to even skid to a stop!
I got stuck on my roads so my neighbour towed me but its not the 2s fault there 6inch+ of untouched snow.
All in all handled like a champ and I love it!

steve-m-uk

Just driven mine from Leeds to Cardiff and back again to collect a car part, the roadster is perfectly useable in snow if driven smoothly and with care, great little cars.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

minimike

Like Steve and Chris say, it is fine IF you drive sensibly. 2000revs max and you need to have a bit of a run at a hill because you can't put the power down easily once you start to loose speed, you just go sideways! Most of the time it is other cr*p drivers that bugger it up for everyone else by getting stuck anyway. Then it doesn't matter what your driving. LOL
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Richard41

I'm a wimp and dont use it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  had a few scary moments in mine in the snow and having a second car the cover goes on and stays on til the roads are clear.

Really want to take it to work and get some photos but doubt i could get it up the slope by my house.

StuC

I'd like to go and have a play in the snow with mine. Less than 12 months since I last crashed mine, so she is staying on the drive and collecting snow.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: