Oh lordy... insurance problems

Started by Slacey, September 1, 2003, 12:53

Slacey

This morning, I decided I should really tell my insurance company about my modifications (yes, before you all have a go, I should have done it a lot earlier), namely the TTE, 17" wheels and the Apexi induction.
They have just called me back... and it's not good   s:( :( s:(
Apparently, for whatever reason my existing insurer won't cover the car with the Apexi, although they are fine with the wheels and exhaust, so they say they have to cancel the policy (pro-rata fortunately) and source me a new one that will accept the mods. This says to me 'cha-ching' on their part.
I'm going to see what they come back with, but if the quote is ridiculosly higher than what I was paying, I'll try to get them to leave my existing policy be and 'remove'   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  the Apexi.
Wish I'd kept shtum about the induction now.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

It's not wise to keep quiet about obvious mods like that.  If your car got written off, when they inspect it, they'd notice the mod, and quite possibly refuse you any money.

Slacey

Yeah, but in the event of an accident, I would have the car taken either to my home or my very friendly and understanding dealer, where I would throw the stock airbox back in. If it was a bad accident, I don't really think I would be too worried about that anyway! Bear in mind that the induction isn't visible without an inspection, and I'm prepared to take the risk.
Hell, it's been on the car for 10 months as it is!

Anonymous

Thats one of the reasons im not making major changes to my car at the moment as my current insurance company wanted £150 extra for a set of alloys! (yeah right!!!)

You might want to try that Dorset Insurance that do special discouts for members of... IIRC 'IMOC' or whatever club it is (i think mph is with them). Thats who i will be getting a quote from next.

Anonymous

Fair play.  Last time I had a prang the care was banana shaped and undrivable.  The insurance company carted it off to a compound and then gave it a very thorough inspection.

I'm not brave enough to risk it, but good on you if you are... insurers are second on my hate list after "safety" cameras.  Anyone who can save make less money for the insurers and not risk others is fine by me!

zud

If the quote is high, will you get the option of taking a refund?  If so it might be worth joining the MR2 Owners' Club and using their scheme with DIG.  I think you can get a quote before joining, but must be a member before start of policy (i think)

From what I can make out they may well charge nothing extra for these mods.  They also cover track days, and were still the 2nd best quote that I received (behind Direct Line).  I didn't plan mods or track days so I went with DL... which is probably a good thing as I might have been sorely tempted to join the H&S group buy otherwise!!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"If it was a bad accident, I don't really think I would be too worried about that anyway!

I have no idea how strict your insurance-thingies are, but over here you can get into really deep s**t if you drive with illegal mods.

Here's a worst case scenario...something to think about:
You get into a serious accident. Both cars get totaled and ppl die or get a permanent injury and have to use a wheelchair for the rest of their life. You pay both cars and all medical expenses caused by the accident...and the accident doesn't even have to be your fault.

You just might end up paying for someone for the rest of your life, more then you will ever earn from any work. It's a worst case scenario and very unlikely, but think about it anyway...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Slacey"If it was a bad accident, I don't really think I would be too worried about that anyway!

I have no idea how strict your insurance-thingies are, but over here you can get into really deep s**t if you drive with illegal mods.

Here's a worst case scenario...something to think about:
You get into a serious accident. Both cars get totaled and ppl die or get a permanent injury and have to use a wheelchair for the rest of their life. You pay both cars and all medical expenses caused by the accident...and the accident doesn't even have to be your fault.

You just might end up paying for someone for the rest of your life, more then you will ever earn from any work. It's a worst case scenario and very unlikely, but think about it anyway...
That sort of thing can, and does, happen over here all the time.  Insurance companies in the UK have zero tolerance for undeclared modifications in a claim situation.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"Insurance companies in the UK have zero tolerance for undeclared modifications in a claim situation.

I can undestand that, but where do you draw the line on a mod?  Had everyone declared their stainless sills, or their wind deflectors?  Or what about my little round reflective tow-hooks?

Anonymous

You need to find out from your insurance company, in writing, what they consider modifications to be.

--H--

Anonymous

Yep, that's how you're supposed to do it.  Wonder how many of us do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"I can undestand that, but where do you draw the line on a mod?  Had everyone declared their stainless sills, or their wind deflectors?  Or what about my little round reflective tow-hooks?

my thoughts exactly... i mean, some companies will not like you to even change the standard stereo or something, but im sure 99% of people do this and dont tell their insurance company, yet that would make it more attractive to thiefs.

Its usually mods that increase performance or desirability of the car that they dont like... so i could guess that a clear deflector or something liek that would generally not be a problem as that is the kinda thing that you could pick up from halfords and fit... if you get what i mean??   s:? :? s:?

thats all just off the top of my head.. no basis for my thoughts at all!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

True.

Personally i don't think it's worth the risk to not declare mods.  If you worry about paying £10 extra on your policy think about paying out £15,000 when your insurance company refuses to write off your car after an accident, or more if someone sues you etc etc...

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"Personally i don't think it's worth the risk to not declare mods.  If you worry about paying £10 extra on your policy think about paying out £15,000 when your insurance company refuses to write off your car after an accident, or more if someone sues you etc etc...

--H--

very true... so have you told yours about things like your side vents etc?

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Hardcore"Personally i don't think it's worth the risk to not declare mods.  If you worry about paying £10 extra on your policy think about paying out £15,000 when your insurance company refuses to write off your car after an accident, or more if someone sues you etc etc...

--H--

very true... so have you told yours about things like your side vents etc?
Yep.

I'm with Direct Line and so far they have not charged me for anything, as I would expect really.  The only thing that 'counted' as a mod with them was the TTE springs, and they didn't charge me anything extra for them.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"If the quote is high, will you get the option of taking a refund?  If so it might be worth joining the MR2 Owners' Club and using their scheme with DIG.  I think you can get a quote before joining, but must be a member before start of policy (i think)

MR2 Drivers Club
Dorset Insurance Group

DIG will provide a quote if you're not yet a DC member, and even take your initial membership fee (to prove membership) with an accepted quote. Note that continued membership of the DC is a requirement of the policy; allowing your DC membership to lapse == no insurance.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"Yep.

I'm with Direct Line and so far they have not charged me for anything, as I would expect really.  The only thing that 'counted' as a mod with them was the TTE springs, and they didn't charge me anything extra for them.

--H--

I know this sounds strange, but are those declared mods listed on your insurance statement?

That last time I spoke to my insurance company I had so much trouble explaining what I was changing I shudder to think how hard it would be to explain sills, wind deflectors or tow-hook reflectors  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I forgot to add; the MR2DC/DIG scheme's policy on mods has reportedly recently changed, in that there's now no blanket "any mod accepted without charge" coverage.

Reasonable mods (ie those that don't signficantly affect risk) should be fine without additional charge, but expect (fairly, IMHO) to pay for outrageous things (eg turbos   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Anonymous

They didnt charge for your springs? Thats good!!!

Whenever ive called them in the past (apart from the last time when i wanted wheels) they said "does it make any performance increase or more desirable to theifs" so ive said no and they have said "ok then" and thats it...none of the mods where listed on my policy after i told them. i just think that a lot of them think that if you mod your car then you are a rude boy and are going to drive like one!

Anonymous

Actually while I'm thinking about this, let's take this to the extreme... CDs and floor matts.  How many people declare their floor mats?  Yet they could affect safety (get stuck under a pedal), and add value to the car (the value of the mats).

If we're on the value front, how many people have declared what CDs are in their car?

This is what I mean about "what do you declare".  Just because we don't consider matts to be a mod, do they? Has anyone asked?

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"This is what I mean about "what do you declare".  Just because we don't consider matts to be a mod, do they? Has anyone asked?

It's easy to be on the safe side. Just tell them about anything you do, maybe they will get bored of it after a while and tell you to quit reporting anything but a bodykit or turbo  s;) ;) s;)

Over here CD's and any other removable stuff doesn't count. Only things that you "bolt on" to the car and can be considered permanent mods. For example a CD player that comes off without any tools is a permanent mod, but an Apexi RSM wouldn't be...unless you make a permanent bracket/fixing for it.

I'm sure YOUR company will tell you THEIR rules, if you phone them  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

DIG have my policy for both my cars.

They have matched my cheapest quote (£435) and are fine with A'Pexi etc.

mph

Quote from: "pmdye"... but expect (fairly, IMHO) to pay for outrageous things (eg turbos   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
My turbo is covered for no additional charge  s:D :D s:D  

I declare all fixed or altered from OEM standard parts to DIG. This includes brake pads, brake fluid and even oil (I use 10W-60 fully synth - not quite your usual stuff).
Given that: a) it's free; and b) it's only an email, there's no reason not to be 100% accurate. Don't forget, if you don't declare and have an accident, not only will your insurance be void, you could well be prosecuted for driving without insurance.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Slacey

Blimey, I leave the office for an hour or so, and there have been stacks of posts!
They have called me back asking for more info about the mods, the longer this goes on, the less I like the way it's going. This feels like it is going to cost me, big time. I think the comment about the refund and going with the MR2DC & Dorset may well be the way to go, especially as where the mods are concerned, I definately haven't finished yet!
Hopefully they will let me know soon....

markiii

aso worth checking is whether the value of mods are covered?

Last time I spoke to Direct Line about mods (previous car) they would charge you extra for the mods that they would allow but the extra was only for the privilige of being insured it didn't cover the value of the mod.

I.e if you got rear ended they would only replace your exhaust with a stock item not the TTE.

Bit of a con but fairly common amongst you typical high street insurer.

I'm with DIG because they actually cover the value of the mods as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: