Variable Valve Timing

Started by Anonymous, September 1, 2003, 14:30

Anonymous

i found this on the net - now i know its for Lexus, but im guessing they use the same system as us. The guys on here say that the VVTi kicks in at a set rpm, but this says that its always checking....?

Variable Valve Timing

Variable Valve Timing is a relatively new innovation to the automotive industry. It uses a computer to electronically control the valves of the engine. It effective changes the way the engine runs to be most effective at all times in all RPM's. At idle, the computer will cause the engine to use the least amount of fuel possible to conserve gas and improve overall gas mileage. If the throttle is opened and acceleration is needed, the valves run in a manner that provides the most amount of power possible. What makes Lexus VVT-i system different from other variable valve timing systems is that it is continuous. This means that the Lexus computer will watch its valves more carefully than any other similar system around. The end result is greater fuel economy and more peak power of the engine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"This means that the Lexus computer will watch its valves more carefully than any other similar system around. The end result is greater fuel economy and more peak power of the engine.

Sounds like a bit of marketting speak to me, that bit in particular.  There are definately a number of different ways VVT is achieved.  There's a few sites about, this one for example compares VVTi with VTEC , http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

Anonymous

you work for toyota and lexus dont ya   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

The VVTi in the '2 kicks in at a set rpm.  Assuming the paragraph above is true and not just marketing speak (which it probably is anyway but never mind) then they say that "What makes Lexus VVT-i system different from other variable valve timing systems is that it is continuous." therefore I'd say that the Lexus VVTi and the Toyota VVTi in our car, are different.

--H--

Tags: