A bit of advice please....

Started by Anonymous, December 3, 2005, 18:04

Anonymous

Im looking into buying an MR2 very soon, and just wanting a bit of advice on what to look out for on a used, probably about an W/X reg depending on price (looking to spend about 9k), iv been warned about the precats but as im buying one thats probably going to have done over 30k im hoping they would have already been sorted, anything i need to look out for other than this?
Also is it possible to buy the hard top seperate as i would prefer it with one?

Cheers xx

spit

*edit - sorry, it started as a short post and turned into waffle*

The '2 is a pretty solid car, and at the price you're looking at, you should be able to haggle for a decent UK model with a full service history ('specially here up north where they seem to be a bit cheaper  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). At 30k miles the mechanicals should be pretty solid!

I'd recommend you test-drive a couple of cars at a MrT dealers to get a feel for them......that way, you should be able to spot a lemon. Of course, buying from a dealer rather than private sale should give you a little more security if there are any comebacks.

Other than the precats (I suspect most cars you look at will still have them fitted), the other issue that springs to mind is bubbling alloys, where the paint lifts from the wheels. It generally starts at the sharp edge at the rear of the spokes and is an irreversible process, so you'll notice pretty much straight away if it is gonna be a problem.

Many of us have had our wheels refinished by 3rd party outfits with better results than Toyota (who recycle the knackered wheels under warranty without taking too much care on things like preparation)

Another thing to check for on older models during a wear'n'tear inspection is condensation/misting of the headlights. Its a pain to fix  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

As for hardtops, yes you occasionally see them coming up on EBay etc but you'll need an additional fixings kit if it doesn't come with. A car with hardtop from new will have air-con as standard (if you go for a HT car, don't forget to check the softop out too  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Finally - keep an eye out for cars for sale in this forum - chances are they'll be well looked after, especially if they belong to regular posters  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Cheaper but just as good (ie better  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  ) is the Jap-spec MR-S, but more caution required if you go down this route and there may be implications with insurance.

Go for it - happy hunting.
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I looked at a dozen cars from local papers, autotrader and ebay and they were all very tired.

I looked at 1 car for sale on this site, bought it and she still looks immaculate, in fact nobody believes (non-MR2 owners) that we only paid £10k for it.

Plus if you buy off here, you may well get some goodies included   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

thanks for that, just been to lok at one today, 02 plate for 10k that did hve some condensation in the front lights but didnt know how much of a problem it was going to be! How easy is it to fix a hrd top on if i did get one?

spit

IIRC, Stu (kanujunkie) has install instructions for the chrome lugs and side posts, or the details may be lurking in the forum somewhere.

I believe its a relatively simple bolt-on task. No idea how much the fitting kits are though   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

roger

Quote from: "nickie"thanks for that, just been to lok at one today, 02 plate for 10k that did hve some condensation in the front lights but didnt know how much of a problem it was going to be! How easy is it to fix a hrd top on if i did get one?

Unfortunately condensation can be minor or major.

IMO any car can suffer condensation of some sort or the other, especially if you pull it straight from a cold garage into brilliant sunshine. However what you need to be wary off is if damp / water is actually getting into the light cluster. It might be a cracked lens, or perished or worn seals. The cost may be that of replacing the unit. Not cheap. However, whilst it is best you don't have it, its not critical to the operation of the car.

If you buy a car with a hard-top, its just the effort needed to move it on or off. To be sure needs 2 people at least, but its quite easy.

If you buy one as an accessory, finding, paying for and fitting the necessary kit will be quite a pain. If you really want an HT, I suggest you make sure you buy a car with it already there.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"To be sure needs 2 people at least, but its quite easy.

Nahh - it's possible on your own  s;) ;) s;)  Tricky, and you do need to be quite strong, but if I can manage it...  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "roger"To be sure needs 2 people at least, but its quite easy.

Nahh - it's possible on your own  s;) ;) s;)  Tricky, and you do need to be quite strong, but if I can manage it...  s:D :D s:D

I'm assuming Nicky is slightly more, shall I say, svelte, than you Aaron   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"I'm assuming Nicky is slightly more, shall I say, svelte, than you Aaron   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

*cries in the corner*  s:P :P s:P   s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I took mine off by myself this morning. It's heavier than I remember, but not that difficult. I can imagine it being a right PITA putting on by yourself, though.

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"I took mine off by myself this morning. It's heavier than I remember, but not that difficult. I can imagine it being a right PITA putting on by yourself, though.
Its not too tricky once you figure out a technique, but I'd be stuffed without my long arms and plenty of reach  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Clearing the TTE sports spoiler single-handed is fun though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: