help with lowering springs please????

Started by Anonymous, September 5, 2003, 23:09

Anonymous

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  what are your thoughts on the best lowering springs.
there are so many different types i dont wanna spend the cash and get crappy results.
i want a drop of about 30/40mm and have 17" wheels.
also what price should i be looking at to supply and fit,my local toyota dealer in wolves wanted more in labour charges than for the springs themselves.
many thanxs.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

If you do not wish to face potential warranty issues, your best bet would be the TTE springs (I think they are made by Biltstein; everyone correct me if I am wrong) fitted at your local Toyota .  The drop is around 30mm.

As for reviews, EVO had them fitted on their Fast Fleet MR2 a couple of issues ago and they rated them quite highly.

You are right about the price though, my local dealer sells them for £165 but they come close to £350 fitted!!!

markiii

Ok then I will.

TTE are made by Eibach.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Has anyone fitted their own springs. Whats the degree of difficulty on a scale of 1-10? I have in the past fitted springs to a BMW & never had any bits left over, unusual that, they always put far too many bits on cars.

Slacey

Quote from: "jonboy"i want a drop of about 30/40mm and have 17" wheels
I too would like to lower the car, but I have concerns with 17"s rubbing - on the very odd occasion (usually on fast off-camber bends) I get the wheel rubbing on a funny sticky-out bit of the plastic wheel arch cover, which I can only assume is to indicate rubbing problems. See the pic below, you will notice the light grey area of the lump where my tyre has rubbed....

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Good pic  s;) ;) s;)

DaSpyda

I had H&R Springs installed on 16" and they rubbed crazy - especially in spirited driving situations.  It seems the wheel well will be filled with 17's, no?

Anonymous

@Slacey
Take a Hot air gun, heat the plastik Part and push it away outside.
Be carefull the part will be hot after heating.

Anonymous

Quote from: "DaSpyda"I had H&R Springs installed on 16" and they rubbed crazy - especially in spirited driving situations.  It seems the wheel well will be filled with 17's, no?

Surely this is dependent not on rim size, but overall wheel size.  If you pick suitable profile tyres, then you shouldn't get any rubbing   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

slacey what size tyres are you running????
i have no rubbing whatsoever on mine.

Slacey

Quote from: "jonboy"slacey what size tyres are you running????
i have no rubbing whatsoever on mine.
205/40/ZR17 front;
215/40/ZR17 rear,
what are you running?

BTW Jonboy, are you able to make the Mids meet next Sunday?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

same as you on the front but 225/35/zr17 on the back.
i had a real loss of power and acceleration with 215/40's on the back.
hopefully yes,give people a chance to take the p@.s in person about my spoiler.  s:P :P s:P

markiii

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "DaSpyda"I had H&R Springs installed on 16" and they rubbed crazy - especially in spirited driving situations.  It seems the wheel well will be filled with 17's, no?

Surely this is dependent not on rim size, but overall wheel size.  If you pick suitable profile tyres, then you shouldn't get any rubbing   s:? :? s:?

also the offset of the wheel which is key.

I had 215/40/17 and the sportivo and no rubbing at all.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "jonboy"same as you on the front but 225/35/zr17 on the back.
i had a real loss of power and acceleration with 215/40's on the back.
hopefully yes,give people a chance to take the p@.s in person about my spoiler.  s:P :P s:P

Jonboy,

thats interesting, so your saying you had a drop in power with 215/40, but now your unning 225/35 the power is back?

I've been pondering wether weight or diameter is more important in this scenario, your answer may answer that for me.

Anonymous

when i had the 17" fitted i noticed the lack of acceleration and crappy top end speed so i asked for some help on spyderchat and was directed to a site for calculating upsizing your tyres in relation to stock tyres.
i was told that the diameter of the 215's where 2 inches bigger than stock thats why i had loss of power and the rotation of the wheel was completly different to the original 15's,where as 225/35 where a closer match.
i couldnt believe the difference after i had them changed.

markiii

thanks,

I was hoping the weight was more relevant, but thats good to know. looks like I just talked myself out of those Yoko Neovas then  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"thanks,

I was hoping the weight was more relevant, but thats good to know. looks like I just talked myself out of those Yoko Neovas then  :-) :-) :-)

Its all relevant, Mark.  The unsprung mass, the diameter and the width of tyre.

more weight, further from the centre of rotation = less acceleration.
larger overall diameter = slower acceleration, but higher top speed due to gearing effect.

Choose super lightweight 17s with rubber bands  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

edit.  just read this again and it sounds a little condesnding.  It was not meant to - I know Mark knows this stuff., I just felt it was worth repeating.

juansolo

A smaller light wheel and tyre will almost always be lighter than a larger one.  To a point, large wheels are almost always a cosmetic choice as there will always be compromises to ride and handling.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"A smaller light wheel and tyre will almost always be lighter than a larger one.  To a point, large wheels are almost always a cosmetic choice as there will always be compromises to ride and handling.

I am predisposed to agree with that but it is not strictly true.  Mostly the weight of the wheel depends on the materials used and the manufacturing technique (forged, etc.).  Regarding larger wheels, it depends on the set up of the car but for the MR2, bigger wheels will compromise handling and ride.

juansolo

Ah yes but a wheel of the same construction.  A 18" mag wheel will always be heavier than a 15" one.  Then we get onto relative tyre weights though...

markiii

do you have any tyre weights for the Noeva?

Come to that could you weigh one of your rears with tyre in place for comparison?

juansolo

Will do when I CBA to take one off.

SteveJ

**Admin Request**

Can we keep on topic please - tyre discussion in the current tyre thread please.

Anonymous

jonboy, have you decided on springs yet?  

I am considering the TTE ones, subject to insurance quotation.

Anonymous

probably not till after winter.
i have just ordered a set of 03 chrome air intakes,besides my insurance is due in november so i will wait for my policy to go down and then ask if it will cost anything extra if i have it lowered.

Tags: