Insurance @ 18

Started by Anonymous, January 13, 2006, 17:51

Anonymous

Hi guys, have the money to go and buy a new car this weekend, ive been looking at the mr2, 51 plate with 30,000 miles on the clock for £7995.

However the insurance is the hardest part. The Cheapest ive got so far is £2600 From elephant.co.uk.

Is there any other Young drivers (18) insured on an mr2 roadster , who you with and how much are you paying?

thanks tom

Liz

Hi Tom and welcome along  s:) :) s:)   Have you tried  w www.confused.com w  ? put your details in once and get a list of results from insurers who will cover you, saves having to ring around loads and you can pay online, what no claims etc have you got, if this is a first car you are going to pay a premium for its sports car status.  Good luck.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Thanks Liz, i will give it a try.

This will be my third car since passing my test 16 months ago. No NCB (which is not going to help i know) But it just seems strange that Elephant admiral & Bell direct are the only ones that will actually give me an online quote.

Tom

kanujunkie

Adrian Flux
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

So many cars and so young, I could be your mother!!!

Why no NCB?

Anonymous

Right ok, Confused came back with £4100 as cheapest.

Adrian flux were... wait for it.....  s:? :? s:?   £5900

Anonymous

i'm sure you have seen this, but read here http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2469

£2600 is going to be the best your going to get it for.

did you put you mum or dad as second driver when you did elephant?

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"So many cars and so young, I could be your mother!!!

But you don't look a day over 21, Liz  s;) ;) s;)

Anyway I agree with the others, on a relatively high insurance group car, that has a reputation for spitting inexperienced drivers off the road quite quickly, and is a high theft risk due to the soft top - £2900 is probably about right.

At 19, I was paying £1400 TPF&T on a Renault 19 16v (this is quite a few years ago, too)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

im with elephant and with 2 years NCB  im £540  and im 22, and with a previous accident

aaronjb

Quote from: "reddi"I'm with elephant and with 2 years NCB  I'm £540  and I'm 22, and with a previous accident

That goes to show that an awful lot is down to where you live I think - I pay £300 more and I'm 27, 6yrs NCB and no accidents, but a high crime area..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "reddi"I'm with elephant and with 2 years NCB  I'm £540  and I'm 22, and with a previous accident

That goes to show that an awful lot is down to where you live I think - I pay £300 more and I'm 27, 6yrs NCB and no accidents, but a high crime area..
I know how you feel; 38 with full NCB, no accidents, clean licence and I pay over £500 with mods covered  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

The biggest difference is a NCB and Any experience.
I take it you havent had a full years driving experiance, thats why it's so high.

Reddi, you have a cracking good deal, Probably where you live up north. I'm also 22 with 1 years driving experience but 4years no claims (from my bike) I pay £700

Anonymous

[/quote]I'm 27

my god man! have you been clocked m8?  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

im getting my renewal at the moment - best quote so far is £625 fully comp from adrian flux - i have 4 years ncb and am 21 with no accidents and a clean license.

Anonymous

richie mate you should try elephant as your license better than mine and im lower that you for cost

Liz

I only pay £517 fully comp for mine!

Anonymous

arron thatts crazy,  mines is total standard, as said 22, 2 yrs no claims, 1 previous accident, which my insurance had to pay for, car parked on main street (not like at front door),  and pretty sure cost is £565 fully comp

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr tommo"Right ok, Confused came back with £4100 as cheapest.

Adrian flux were... wait for it.....  s:? :? s:?   £5900

Tommy,
My nephew is 17 with a Peugeot 307 and his insurance quotes frightened me. His best quote believe it or not came from RAC. Obviously less than 1 year with licence, third party, no ncb and premium for TPF&T..£2052  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
However the reason for mentioning this is that they do offer a PassPlus system whereby you take a 6 lesson course with a driving instructor and get a certificate which confirms that you have tuition about motorways and safe driving etc.. In my nephews case the premium would have reduced to £1652.
Only real advice is buy a cheap car, low insurance for 10 months then change up to MR2 and you'll have 1 years NCB and lower premium.

Two's Company

TBH I don't think 2,600 is that bad for an 18 year old on an MR2   s:? :? s:?  

When I was 18 I was paying £1400 TPFT on a sh*te 1.2 Nova   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I assume your quote is for fully comp insurance? How much is the excess?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Liz"I only pay £517 fully comp for mine!

for a Porker!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

you bugger!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

yeah the quote is fully comp with a max excess of £250.

Well, when i first passed my test i had a P reg VW Polo, car = 1500 Insurance = 1500. As a named driver   s:? :? s:?  

Then 7 months later - just before i turned 18, i bought a Renault Megane coupe 1.4 16v , insurance = 1500 as a named driver because i was only using it when i wasnt at uni.

Now, i will be using my next car all the time. Elephant.co.uk is still the cheapest by FAR, but im worried incase, when i come to renew, they increase the premium (as i have seen happen) and then nobody else will be able to match it or even give me a quote.

Ive got £8,500 to buy a car, i preferably want an MR2 - Parents have said they will loan me the money for insurance and i can pay it off monthly to them, however, i dont want to take advantage and ask for a lump sum of £2500.

Just REALLY gutted tbh, i was willing to pay £2000 max for insurance alone. Any other cars, with similar capabilities of the MR2? MX-5's i have looked at, dont even need to go to a garage because you are guaranteed to fins at least 3 on every car park you go in, they are that common.

Anonymous

mr tommo - i would suggest adding somebody with preferential insurance requirements as a named driver to your quotation (ie your mum - female, lots of no-claims, over 5 years driving)
You should see your elephant quote drop significantly.

Reddi - Im presently with elephant however they have quoted me £777 for my renewal (im paying £670 this year). Their counterpart (admiral) have quoted me £666   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

DavidM - i have "Pass Plus" and even now i think it still makes a big difference to premiums. It certainly made a huge reduction when i started driving when i was 17.

Liz

How about buying a cheaper MR2? There are plenty out there.

Stifler

If you cant get a lower quote i would recommend Bell for Insurance.

Im with them and they have always been very helpful with paperwork & any changes to details.  

They are cheap for me also im 25 3yr NCB and pay £425 fully comp so its all good.

MR-S Turbo

Tommo

Try Newton Lee insurance services on 0191 549 4949.  They always look after me and are trying to get a large Jap car base.
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

Tags: