Insurance @ 18

Started by Anonymous, January 13, 2006, 17:51

MRMike

Elephant are worth a punt as well.  They are also pretty good with mods as well.  

The only annoying thing you will have to put up with is receiving letters from "Head Elephant"   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

try admiral with a mum or dad added... mine was £1090 at 19 with 2 years no claims but with my step dad as second driver who is 50, too nealry £400 off the price    s:) :) s:)

steve b

Wow  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  18 years old and can afford £8500 for a car, what do you do? I'm not on a wonderful salary high 20's and I've set my budget as £6500 for my next car, either an MR2 roadster or MX5.

As far as insurance goes, afraid you'll have to either a) accept it and pay it or b) get a 1.1 hatchback for a year to get at least 1 years ncb under your belt, your quotes will significantly reduce once you've proved your not going to write a car off in the first year of ownership.  Being named driver means nothing, as far as insurance companies are concerned you may have only ever collected mum from the shops.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

roger

I suppose Tommo's experience is a word of warning to all young drivers, if you are wanting to upgrade your cars fairly quickly.

Bite the bullet, and pay your own insurance and earn that NCB. DON'T add yourself as an extra driver to Mum's policy if your first car is actually yours, because when you upgrade (to an MR2?) you get clobbered.

Obviously easier said than done to an 18 year-old who has to pay £1K + for a 1.1   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

<edit> some companies might accept "named driver" experience. But IMO you can't push it, because they may want to know why you were only named but drove the car full time to earn the discount you are claiming </edit>
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

edward.carter

Quote from: "steve b"Wow  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  18 years old and can afford £8500 for a car, what do you do? I'm not on a wonderful salary high 20's and I've set my budget as £6500 for my next car, either an MR2 roadster or MX5.

As far as insurance goes, afraid you'll have to either a) accept it and pay it or b) get a 1.1 hatchback for a year to get at least 1 years ncb under your belt, your quotes will significantly reduce once you've proved your not going to write a car off in the first year of ownership.  Being named driver means nothing, as far as insurance companies are concerned you may have only ever collected mum from the shops.

like me probably still living wih parents so no mortgage to pay im only on 18.5 at moment until end of them month when it will be going up to 20 woo hoo and when buying my mr2 i got a loan for 10k, like i say only downside is living with parents!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

As for me being able to afford an MR2, im at university. I was paying £1300 named driver TPFT (because i was only driving it occasionally) before i passed my test for a 1.3 1995 Polo.

1 1/2 months after my 18th i passed my test.

6 months later my mums 3 year contract was up on a 3 year old Renault Megane coupe 1.4 16v. She had the option to buy it or give it back basically. I had limited funds available to me at the time and my parents offered me the car as long as i paid 75% of the £4k buy out clause.

I sold my Polo for a £200 profit   s:P :P s:P   then worked full time all through the summer to pay off the money to my parents.

Insurance was a killer, £3500 they wanted in my name, i couldnt justify this so went as a named driver for £1600. I understand that im not supposed to but after i took the policy out i contacted the insurers to notify them that i would be driving the car as much as the main driver and they said that was fine.   s:P :P s:P      

Now i went to University, but stayed local. I could have easily gone away and blown all my loan getting drunk everynight goin parties all the time but i didnt, instead i decided that i would treat myself with the loans i recieved. So basically ive got my Megane coupe worth £5500 plus loan and money ive got saved up for insurance.

Looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet and cough up this time, i could go as a named driver again, but i really need some NCB as my next car will have to be a special one to be a big step up from the '2

tom

Anonymous

I'm 20 and just got rid of an 05 plate Fiesta and bought an MR2 Roadster which I've had for just over a week. I'd always been a named driver from 17 so this is my first car I've insured in my own name (so no NCB) Its a bit of a shock to say the least!! I'm paying £1700 with Bell Direct. Got quoted same price from Elephant then found out that they are both trading names of Admiral so all three work out to about the same prices. Mite be a bit of a steep price but only after a week in the 2 I can tell you its well worth the money!!

Tags: