MPG

Started by Anonymous, September 8, 2003, 21:11

Anonymous

MPG
I obviously drive my '2 far too conservatively.  Just filled up this afternoon, and my average MPG for the past week (and 300 miles) was 38.6 mpg.  This car is just plain daft.

Anonymous

Hrmphhh... I'm lucky if I manage 30mpg on a typical tankful, 'cos I spend almost all my mileage commuting in and out of town traffic  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

I find I get between 35-40 around town/commuting. On the open road is a different matter, get behind the wheel,grin,yahoo, right foot becomes awfuly heavy, causing speed to go up dramatically. Only get about 25-30 if lucky. I am awful, but I like it.

Slacey

30+ usually, although I haven't calculated it for quite a while.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Last tank full got me about 37 MPG, doing about 75% motorway driving and the rest caning it through the countryside.

My MPG's have been getting better over the last year, I use Optimax exclusively now.

--H--

Anonymous

FWIW I just use the supermarket stuff.  And if you want to make MPG calculating easier (ie. from litres (on the petrol receipt) and miles (on the odo) to mpg) this site is nice and easy: http://www.guycroft.clara.net/utils/mpg.html

Anonymous

No idea with mine cos I rarely calculate it, but it doesn't seem as high as some of the figures said here. Right, nest tankful..............  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Great calculation site Phil, I can never usually be bothered to work it out!

Apparently I get 34mpg on almost every tankful..which is 80% motorway at a constant speed just under 4000rpm, and the rest is spirited weekend driving!   s:D :D s:D

Not too bad! And I was complaining about having to fill up every week...

Tim

zud

My drive to work takes about an hour for 16 miles... and I still get approx 32mpg.  By comparison, my 2.0 Alfa 156 was lucky to return 24mpg!

I tend to do a rough calculation most times I fill up... divide mileage by number of litres... 6.5mpl is about 30mpg, 7mpl is about 32mpg, and I'm usually around 7mpl.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Chris

what a top site!!!

just worked out the rough figures from memory of my spa/ring trip, and they are:

total miles: 940
full tanks: 4 (iirc)
total fuel: 160 litres (assuming 40L/tank, 40L on the receipt iirc)
26.71mpg (including track milage!!!)   s:o :o s:o    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

from spa to home (all motorway) = 300 miles 1 tank/40L = 34.1   s:D :D s:D  

I'll have to work out what I get at next fill up...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"And I was complaining about having to fill up every week...

I think that goes with the car; our range will never be great, even with good mpg, since the tank just isn't that big. If you want a long-range cruiser, then we've got the wrong car; go and buy a German barge!

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"And I was complaining about having to fill up every week...

I think that goes with the car; our range will never be great, even with good mpg, since the tank just isn't that big. If you want a long-range cruiser, then we've got the wrong car; go and buy a German barge!

Yes, realise the tank isn't so big, it was more an observation on the fact that I have to do so many miles each week, and petrol is so expensive!

I will stop complaining now that I realise I'm doing a very respectable 34mpg - and still having fun!   s8) 8) s8)

Tim

Anonymous

Tank size on the '2 is a bit of a problem. The 'F comes with a huge 60l tank, but we only get 40  s:-( :-( s:-(

Still, I usually average about 31 MPG, so I can't bitch. I only drive on weekends (it's not worth driving anywhere in London now!) when I'm going somewhere, so I usually drive with a lead right foot. The car still brings a grin to my face every time I get in. I thought that would've worn off after a year.

I've just thought. Do you think they kept the tank size down to keep weight down?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ender"The car still brings a grin to my face every time I get in. I thought that would've worn off after a year.

I've still not had mine that long, but it's usually the first corner and the first braking that suddenly remind me just how good it is.

Quote from: "Ender"I've just thought. Do you think they kept the tank size down to keep weight down?

Either that or they couldn't find anywhere to put it... there's hardly enough room for luggage, let alone more juice.

zud

Quote from: "phil4"I've still not had mine that long, but it's usually the first corner and the first braking that suddenly remind me just how good it is.

Definitely!  I'm also reminded every time I drive my wife's Focus... before the '2 I thought it handled really well for a family car... now it reminds me of a transit van!!!

zud

Just thought of something else... my mpg has only increased to 32+ since changing to Optimax.  Before that it was just over or under 30mpg.  So the increase in mpg is paying for the more expensive fuel.  Then any performance or engine-cleaning it gives me is a bonus!  

I'm not sure it's giving me either, but it's not costing me anything  s:) :) s:)   unless of course its slowly killing the engine/cats, as has been suggested elsewhere   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I should know this, but can't be arsed to look it up, but what IS the capacity of the fuel tank?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Didn't I just say??? I think it's 40 litres.  :-) :-) :-)  It's tiny...

Anonymous

Whoops, sorry Ender! I am crap!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

RANDOM MPG CHECK OVER 1 1/2 YEARS OWNERSHIP

Milage   -    Fuel (ltrs)   -       MPG
261.90  -      39.33       -      30.27
258.20  -      38.07       -      30.83
263.60  -      40.71       -      29.43
198.60  -      30.71       -      29.40
265.40  -      38.40       -      31.42
284.60  -      40.30       -      32.10
289.20  -      39.20       -      33.53
303.00  -      38.77       -      35.52
286.40  -      39.21       -      33.20
190.00  -      28.01       -      30.83
267.00  -      40.06       -      30.30
261.00  -      37.78       -      31.40
232.50  -      32.74       -      32.28   

Average   31.58

This is running with 17" wheels, bodykit & Magnex twin exhaust. Most journeys are 10 to 15 miles but with the odd longer run thrown in for good luck.

(note - this is not an anal thing. I calculate mpg every now & then to see if I can spot a problem before I destroys something  s:!: :!: s:!:  )

dimwit

Quote from: "Ender"Didn't I just say??? I think it's 40 litres.  :-) :-) :-)  It's tiny...

Have they changed the fuel tank for the 03my, the manual says 48litres on mine.. sh*t doing even less to the gallon now  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

On Saturday going down to Hayward  & Scott (M42, M40 and M25) and back to the Oxford Welcome Break constant 4000/4500 revs (90/100mph) especially with that exhaust on the way back averaged 35mpg. I must try REALLY hard to slow down a bit  s:!: :!: s:!:  

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

filcee

I was getting 40+ mpg out of mine before I went away on holiday.  Mostly motorway driving at 65-75 mph in traffic, 2500-3000rpm in 6th.  300+ miles out of 3/4 of a tank.

Whilst away I rented a Mustang, and somehow it's changed my driving habits (It was horrible btw.  A classic american sports car I thought.  It is not a sports car.  It is a classic american - overweight and out-of-shape.  I got the traction control light on when cornering though   s:D :D s:D  )

Just run through my first tank since coming back from hols. 230 miles from just over 3/4 tank of juice.   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Boy am I having fun now   s:!: :!: s:!:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Slacey

Nice to see you back filcee, hope you both had a nice holiday - I must get the next Mids meet sorted!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: