Interesting Article - TTE Turbo available in UK

Started by MR2john, January 25, 2006, 20:14

dreambackup

the price is definitly too high. I started - late this week - a dialogue with TTE and the price they state is 6800€ installed in TTE's factory  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I'd love to get a "factory" kit but I really wonder if they want to sell it  s:? :? s:?
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "dreambackup"the price is definitly too high. I started - late this week - a dialogue with TTE and the price they state is 6800€ installed in TTE's factory  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I'd love to get a "factory" kit but I really wonder if they want to sell it  s:? :? s:?
That would equate to nearly 5K in English pounds  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  That would be far too high for most me thinks  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"That would equate to nearly 5K in English pounds  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  That would be far too high for most me thinks  s:? :? s:?

You could probably put together a turbo 2ZZ for the same kind of money, at the very least a very well done turbo 1ZZ with a much better upgrade path than the TTE.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

filcee

Just wondering ... and to play devil's advocate with you ... with all this talk about prices when comparing with other options for more power ... everyone here is considering the cost of their own time aren't they?  Or is that just marked down as free?

Given Dan's experiences putting his own kit together, almost leading to him ending his relationship with his car (no doubt due to utter frustration), what price would you pay to have a kit - any kit you choose - fitted and working "out of the box" (and warrantied, of course)?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

markiii

and that is exactly what yuour paying for.

some people consider the install and troubleshooting part of teh fun, some don't.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "filcee"everyone here is considering the cost of their own time aren't they?  Or is that just marked down as free?

Personally, I don't "charge" my own time, when I'm doing something I enjoy anyway. It's a hobby, not work. Heck, I even made a tune from scratch, just because I enjoyed doing it!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
(I did have a working map before that)

Anyway, of course this is expensive. Warranty, TÜV-approvals, tested by Toyota Japan, it's all charged in the price. If someone values those, I'm sure it's a great kit for them. If not, there's no point in paying for them. Great thing to have so many choices these days!  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "filcee"Just wondering ... and to play devil's advocate with you ... with all this talk about prices when comparing with other options for more power ... everyone here is considering the cost of their own time aren't they?  Or is that just marked down as free?

Given Dan's experiences putting his own kit together, almost leading to him ending his relationship with his car (no doubt due to utter frustration), what price would you pay to have a kit - any kit you choose - fitted and working "out of the box" (and warrantied, of course)?
I know Thor charge about 1K for a full turbo install so the labour portion is not hugely expensive. 4K for all the parts and warrenty; I think NOT even with development costs included  s:? :? s:?  If the price is fair they will sell many more kits and recoup their initial design outlay. They only have a select audience and many cheaper more powerfull kit options  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

I hope they do bring the price down to a sensible level. I need more horses, Mini Cooper S ate me up today after leaving it up to 60.
Trouble is , I have an earlier 2 that uses a bit of oil and would think I'd need to rebuild the internals or get a late model engine replacement to handle all that grunt. Cost of turbo install plus engine might make it out of reach for me unless the blower is very reasonable.
Don't think I'm quite bright enough to do it myself.  s:? :? s:?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

mg

Just to add to the momentum, I would be interested in this if a GB got the price near 2.5k installed.

Also a bit clueless, but could I keep my TTE exhaust?  What bracing is different from an 05 model?  Could I still use the Unichip?

How long would it take to install? (would have to travel from Scotland)
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "mg"Just to add to the momentum, I would be interested in this if a GB got the price near 2.5k installed.

How long would it take to install? (would have to travel from Scotland)

theres discount and there is discount, but jeez, I think you've got no chance of getting it that cheap even at a bargain £500 for labour, that would be £2000 just for teh kit, I paid £2500 for my Hass, so that could be somewhat optimistic   s:D :D s:D
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I can't see the price getting anywhere near £2.5K for kit and install myself, as I would have though the kit alone would cost Silverstone that. £3.5K would be nearer my best guesstimation...

Still, I could (and indeed, would love) to be wrong.

*EDIT* Damn, Mark beat me to it!

mg

Quote from: "markiii"theres discount and there is discount, but jeez, I think you've got no chance of getting it that cheap even at a bargain £500 for labour, that would be £2000 just for the kit, I paid £2500 for my Hass, so that could be somewhat optimistic   s:D :D s:D

Just trying to get them moving in the right direction!  s:D :D s:D  Have you never haggled?
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

dreambackup

Quote from: "mg"Just to add to the momentum, I would be interested in this if a GB got the price near 2.5k installed.
wake up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "mg"Also a bit clueless, but could I keep my TTE exhaust?  
I'm not really 100% sure but it seems so. stock exhaust too (they change the header and the main cat). I have a detailled list part hosted by Dieamond here

Quote from: "mg"What bracing is different from an 05 model?
bracing changed almost each year. if your model has been build before 08/2004, they install the X-brace seen on this forum.

Quote from: "mg"Could I still use the Unichip?
guess not, they install their own ECU.

Quote from: "mg"How long would it take to install? (would have to travel from Scotland)
they would take car of the install in 1 day, if I understood correctly.

TTE is very picky about other mods made to your car (they asked me pictures of the TRD parts ie strut bars, Waydo struts, etc...)...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

markiii

TTE now have a mutal arrangemtn with TRD ref supply of each other parts so TRD fitted stuff shouldn't be an issue.

Any aftermarket exhaust or cat replacement pipe will work fine.

unless it causes boost creep. There demo car used to have teh TTE exhaust so it should be fine.

TommyD

I think for the very reason that TTE have taken so long releasing this to the public, shows how much R&D has gone into making this as stable as possible. Some people need to get back down to earth about how much the parts alone cost.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"TTE now have a mutal arrangemtn with TRD ref supply of each other parts so TRD fitted stuff shouldn't be an issue.

Any aftermarket exhaust or cat replacement pipe will work fine.

unless it causes boost creep. There demo car used to have the TTE exhaust so it should be fine.
Would I be able to keep the H&S exhaust then Mark  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I'd have thought so. It's more free flowing though than the TTE, but I'm not sure on the effect of boost-creep on that. My brain tells me that you'd have a higher chance of it, but I'm probably wrong.

As usual.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd have thought so. It's more free flowing though than the TTE, but I'm not sure on the effect of boost-creep on that. My brain tells me that you'd have a higher chance of it, but I'm probably wrong.

As usual.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Don't worry I'm often wrong but Grant always corrects me  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Normally you'd be right, Dan.. But given the huge great Pre CAT that TTE put right after the turbo, I'd wager you could run it with no exhaust at all and still not suffer boost creep  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Ah, but who's going to leave that pre-cat in there...?!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hang on, does the TTE manifold actually include the pre-cats? Or does it bolt straight up to the main cat?

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Ah, but who's going to leave that pre-cat in there...?!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

The same kind of mod-phobic folks who go for a turnkey turbo solution from Toyota  s;) ;) s;)

QuoteHang on, does the TTE manifold actually include the pre-cats? Or does it bolt straight up to the main cat?

It includes a precat  s;) ;) s;)  (This is from the pdf that someone else posted earlier) - the order goes:

Manifold (which is 'upside down'), Turbo, PreCAT (bolts directly to the turbine outlet), big U bend, L bend, standard main CAT (and onward)

dreambackup

are you sure about the pre-cat thing?

it's not Euro IV compliant anymore, only Euro 3...  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:   gotta check that later...

aaronjb

Quote from: "dreambackup"are you sure about the pre-cat thing?

it's not Euro IV compliant anymore, only Euro 3...  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:   gotta check that later...

I was going by your link  s;) ;) s;)

Maybe they've dropped it then.. guess there's only one person around here who could tell us right now  s:) :) s:)

markiii

well it used to have a precat.

looking at the pics their only seems o be 1 02 sensor as well, so looks like a few things have changed

Silverstone Performance

The TTE does have a pre cat that replaces the standard one. The original O2 sensors are retained. It is also designed to work with the standard exhaust and main cat.  A replacement silencer will not effect the running, but removing the main cat will.  
We are working on a more performance orientated silencer and main cat that will be optimised for the kit, as well as investigating the pre-cat's function and how they it controls emmisions and the effect removing it has...
BTW the intercooler installation is neat,

Tags: