Laptimes

Started by Tem, September 9, 2003, 09:48

Tem

My friend has a lil thingy that shows and records laptimes. You just plug it in a cigarette lighter and put 1-5 thingies around the track and it shows and logs all your laptimes. He bought it from Russia for next to nothing...and I want one too!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Does anyone have any experience on those..? What to get and where..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

My guess is, it must be some kind of transponder, every time you pass start/finish line signal is relayed to officials control tower. This is then relayed back to you via your ickle thingy giving lap time. Does he have to tune in if used on different circuits.
All race cars/ motorcycles use the same sort of stuff, possible more sophisicated though.

Tem

"My guess is, it must be some kind of transponder, every time you pass start/finish line signal is relayed to officials control tower. This is then relayed back to you via your ickle thingy giving lap time."

Close...but it's only those transponder pods and the thingy in the car. Nothing else, so it works everywhere, even if you wanna time the distance from your home to your workplace  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  You just need to put the pods where you want.

"Does he have to tune in if used on different circuits."

No, just place the pod(s) where wanted.

"All race cars/ motorcycles use the same sort of stuff, possible more sophisicated though."

Yeah...I just want something simple...found some online, but they were loaded with features, I bet you could order pizza through them. And the price was way too much as well...

Tem

Something like this:
 m http://www.farringdoninstruments.co.uk/ ... imers.html m

But he paid 50 euros for his and it seems to work...so £500 seems a bit high to me  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

mph

They're nice, but you can use them for track or airfield days due to insurance coverage. You'd have to go to a test day and that requires a full MSA race licence which in itself requires you to pass the ARDs test.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"You'd have to go to a test day and that requires a full MSA race licence which in itself requires you to pass the ARDs test.

Maybe in UK, but not over here  s;) ;) s;)

mph

Yep, I realised I omitted that, but CBA to edit it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

juansolo

QuoteYou'd have to go to a test day and that requires a full MSA race licence which in itself requires you to pass the ARDs test.

Not neccessarily here either   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: