Your thoughts needed please

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2006, 19:30

Anonymous

I used to come on this site quite regular back in the days when i had a 2,
in a sense i still have a 2 but not an MR2, i now have an S2000 (Honda)
anyways, to the point, I am a product manager for a performance exhaust manufacturer which has a big name over in the USA, Magnaflow Performance Exhausts.

Magnaflow systems are made from stainless steel, lined with rock-wool (Ferrari are the only other company to do this) and have a life time warranty.

I am looking to produce a twin exit system for the MR2 Roadster which i know has been done by a few companies.

Where i need your thoughts is on the style of tailpipes. I was thinking of being a little different and coming up with a twin / twin exit?

This would mean twin 3" rounds either side.

What do you reckon?

I will take onboard any suggestions.

Thank you

kanujunkie

sounds interesting, Peter has quad pipes, what about triangular or semi circle tips
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "LLOYD"Where i need your thoughts is on the style of tailpipes. I was thinking of being a little different and coming up with a twin / twin exit?

This would mean twin 3" rounds either side.

When I first read that, I thought you meant a copy of the TTE. On second reading, it sounds like you mean a quad-exit set-up with four 3" tips!

Either way, I wouldn't bother. There are a million and one twin-exit exhausts out there, and having four 3" tailpipes on the Roadster would look atrocious.

I'd quite like to see a single exit exhaust, but with a different tip to what's already out there. Whether that's a slash-cut type, or something more akin to the Kakimoto (which is pretty rare), I'm not sure.

loadswine

I think that would look rather cool, but I remember that one member had his done in a similar style , a while ago and opinion was split.
There again, variety and choice of modding options is part of what makes the 2 interesting.
I wish I had this as an option, before I bought my  replacement box last year .
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

is it possible to post pics or graphics of various designs? a poll then might point you in the best direction. also a final version shown actually on a car would probably generate sales. as ive suggested this, i suppose(heavy sighs) that i should really offer my car as the recipient of the first exhaust you produce, which i could then post lots of pics of, obviously i would not charge you for this!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "nelix"also a final version shown actually on a car would probably generate sales. as ive suggested this, i suppose(heavy sighs) that i should really offer my car as the recipient of the first exhaust you produce, which i could then post lots of pics of, obviously i would not charge you for this!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

watch out Lloyd, the Vultures are circling  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I think twins make the car look simetrical but if you think there is call for single i will consider that...

I will keep sound and performance as priority because thats what Magnaflow is all about.

w www.magnaflow.com w

thanks .... keep the thoughts coming, together we will achieve the ultimate system.

Also... whilst im on the case, i am also a tech consultant for  w www.fpuk.co.uk w  a company that supplies EMS and Catalysts,
I deal with the whole of Europe on a daily basis, i would say i
average a call per week on the Toyota VVTI cracked pre cat
problem.
How about if i design a big bore 4-branch de-cat? I have all the technology
to produce this along with a rolling road to ensure not only will
it get you out of the expensive pre-cat issue and save you money, it
would increase your BHP?

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"is it possible to post pics or graphics of various designs? a poll then might point you in the best direction. also a final version shown actually on a car would probably generate sales. as ive suggested this, i suppose(heavy sighs) that i should really offer my car as the recipient of the first exhaust you produce, which i could then post lots of pics of, obviously i would not charge you for this!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

scwark scwark!!!    s:D :D s:D  

I could seriously consider this.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

draw up some further details Lloyd, i'm sure someone on here will be nearer to help you with this
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"draw up some further details Lloyd, i'm sure someone on here will be nearer to help you with this

or Email on -  e mailto:lloydd@fpuk.co.uk">lloydd@fpuk.co.uk e

There you go

Cheers

PS

Im also looking to create big brakes too.

This would be kinda a budget kit which would have a bracket
to extend out the calipers, caliper paint (even in Sable!),
soft or hard compound pads option and cross drilled & grooved
discs..

A must for people with big 5-spokes!

What do yer think??

Anonymous

Another member from this site - Emzipoos, works in our marketing dept. and owns a 51 plate, Nat in HR has a Y plate semi auto...
Unfortunately this means i do have access to the vehicles and dont need
any doner cars...  

*******  B U T *******

I will consider doing a Roadsters owners club competition, where i will donate a system to the site for someone to win...   s:D :D s:D  

This will be great for the site and im sure the impressed winner will boast till they drop and do loadsa advertising for me!

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  i wish you would loyd, as it was a serious offer! would give me a great excuse for a few days away in the 2! please remember i offered first! the big bore de cat sounds interesting, im sure those who havent gutted pre cats yet due to warranties etc, would be interested in the future. best of luck anyway, always nice to see new options becoming available.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Remember, de-cat = MOT fail. A different manifold to replace the pre-cats is a good idea though, as long as it's quality and can undercut those already available (PPE, TRD etc).

markiii

if your going to copy a manifold copy teh top secret, it's the dogs doo doos
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Wow great ideal lloyd and very generous.

How about a batmobile style exit Id love that (pref with the afterburner flame too)    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Holly smoking MR2's battman  *punches fist into hand* sometimes you just cant find a parking space in gotham city.

Best of luck with your venture.

Philly.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Remember, de-cat = MOT fail. A different manifold to replace the pre-cats is a good idea though, as long as it's quality and can undercut those already available (PPE, TRD etc).

I have the technology!!

I can install a 200cfm high flow monolith, this will get you through the
MOTs and increase perfomance by halving the back pressure.
(Standard = 2 x 400 cfm)
It would need this because de-cats are too loud in my opinion.

Anonymous

Cool... But's not a de-cat then, more a high-flow cat.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"if your going to copy a manifold copy the top secret, it's the dogs doo doos

cheers for the tip off Marki    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Cool... But's not a de-cat then, more a high-flow cat.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Trust me i have secret about cats that no-one knows about...
The proto type is under test as we speak and i will have the results
on Friday.

work this out.. I have got a 60mm straight through cat which runs
a 30% + reaction (enuf to get an OBD II through an MOT) and
as i said, as per a de-cat, TOTALLY straight through!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If this works i will have de-cats available for many applications that can
take OBD II (cars with rear Lamda`s) through an MOT without a problem!

philster_d

cool

Jap GT300

Magnaflow already have exhausts available for the roadster.  You can get a twin or single in both mild and stainless steel.

They are sold as Team Moon and I had one on my first roadster.

markiii

strictly speaking Team moon are an independant who just happen to use magnaflow silencers in their product.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

very interesting..

Never heard of Team Moon, maybe they are a customer of Magnaflow USA? I will find this out on Monday.

I will definately be producing a system over here in the UK and im certain to create a modified 4-branch big - bore high flow manifold to overcome the pre-cat issue, this of course, i will ensure to be of MOT standard.

I am VERY grateful of your comments, especially the input from jap GT300 & Markiii for the info on Team Moon.

Thank you

Lloyd

Anonymous

Flame me if you will but i like this exhaust set up and it would be different from anything else out there (apart from the Zonda)  s:) :) s:)

markiii

Quote from: "LLOYD"very interesting..

Never heard of Team Moon, maybe they are a customer of Magnaflow USA? I will find this out on Monday.

I will definately be producing a system over here in the UK and I'm certain to create a modified 4-branch big - bore high flow manifold to overcome the pre-cat issue, this of course, i will ensure to be of MOT standard.

I am VERY grateful of your comments, especially the input from jap GT300 & Markiii for the info on Team Moon.

Thank you

Lloyd

don't assume big bore manifolds will get you a gain

on a turbo yes to an extent

on an a na they wil play hell with your torque curve

just look at teh PPE 2" primaries and it produces more power across teh whole rev range than standard.

Tags: