TTET coolant leak help

Started by mg, August 6, 2006, 21:06

mg

Do any TTET owners have this:

This picture was taken looking over the top of the turbo straight down into the engine bay (turbo is bottom right in the picture).  It is pink in colour and to me it looks like dried toyota red coolant but I can't find where it is coming from...

I found this after I noticed that I had a spot of mystery fluid left on the driveway when parked for a few hours.  Funny thing is that when parked in the garage, I get no drips, but parked on a slight downward incline, I get drips.  After searching underside of the car I finally found where it is dropping from (not easy with no ramp and lowered springs!).  There is a rubber pipe that connects the intercooler to the inlet pipe.  The coolant seems to be dripping off this (for those with the TTET install guide, page 50 fig 7.)  I assume its dripping down the intercooler inlet pipe.

I also noticed that this rubber pipe is effectively unprotected from the road by the plastic nappy and it sits nearly flush with the nappy.  Is this right?

I am due for a one year service so will have Mr. T find this leak.  There are also additional checks in the service data sheet.  Is it safe to say that fixing this leak is a warranty item that should be covered by Mr. T?
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

SteveJ

Almost certainly not, given that the TTET warranty is underwritten by TTE NOT Toyota

You may be lucky and get an understanding dealership who will sort the warranty work with TTE, but failing that it is back to SP to get it fixed.

Anonymous

Given as the TTE is an approved Toyota part, surely the warranty is covered by any Toyota dealership? The same would apply with the TTE exhaust, springs etc.

I'd rather take it back to SP since they have more knowledge on the TTET than anyone, but there's no reason that your local dealership won't touch it. under warranty.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Given as the TTE is an approved Toyota part, surely the warranty is covered by any Toyota dealership?

Toyota GB do not recognise the TTET as Toyota approved equipment. I'm trying to get MrT to put it in writing but am meetinng with a brick wall.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Ekona"Given as the TTE is an approved Toyota part, surely the warranty is covered by any Toyota dealership? The same would apply with the TTE exhaust, springs etc.

Thats the whole point why the TTET isn't being fitted by Mr T dealers - Toyota have NOT approved it.

When we met TTE at the Essen motorshow 3 years ago to discuss the turbo project, we asked what they would do if they didnt get Toyota approval, and they said they would go ahead and launch anyway, but underwrite the warranty themselves. This is what they have done.

markiii

to be precise it's toyota uk approval they dom't have
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"to be precise it's toyota uk approval they dom't have

I stand corrected, but the above still applies.

mg

Quote from: "DavidM"Toyota GB do not recognise the TTET as Toyota approved equipment. I'm trying to get MrT to put it in writing but am meetinng with a brick wall.

To what end?  Toyota Europe does.  Are you hoping to get some clarification from Toyota Europe about the TTET and TGB?  If so I will join in.  The marketing bullet point for the TTET 'turbo backed by Toyota' should mean something.

I am not inclined to travel 7 hours to SP, I'll need to conact SP about how this is covered.
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

kanujunkie

to be exact the TTET has TMC approval, but as Marks says its trying to find a UK dealer that recognises it. Personally i'd say rip that heat tape off the pipe and inspect it, it may be an easy repair or replacement of the pipe
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

mg

Sorry Stu, but what is TMC?

I don't really think this is a problem with the dealers, as they would sell/repair anything if it made money.  My dealer had no issues but was working under the direction of TGB.

Maybe it would be useful if we as TTET owners along with SP to draft a letter to the head of TGB to get some official recognition.  As time goes on, these cars are going to start showing up at dealers more often.  It would be useful if we could secure some uniform equitable treatment from TGB (and dealers) early on.

Any club members who are solictors and feel like a bit of pro bono letter drafting help?

Tem

Quote from: "mg"what is TMC?

Toyota Motor Corporation, the big thing.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

to be honest I'm not sure how far you will get.

they are loads of TTE and TRD parts that Touyota GB don't recognise and sell, and tehy won't warranty them either. Individual dealers rely on TGB for tehir Franchises so will do as teh are told.

at least they are honouring the warranty on the car regadless of turbo
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mg

Further to this, here is the warranty from TTE as provided via email by SP:

QuoteTTE warranty statement is as follows;
If the vehicle has 25,000 miles on the counter at installation of the Turbo Kit, TMG (TOYOTA Motorsport GmbH) guarantees that the parts and installation of the turbo kit are free from defects for 3 years.  this warranty only covers damage to the Turbo Kit caused by defects in or from improper installation of the Turbo Kit.  Damage to other parts of the vehicle are expressly excluded from this warranty.

If the vehicle has less than 25,000 miles on the counter at installation of the Turbo Kit, TMG guarantees that parts and the installation of the Turbo Kit are free from defects for the remaining period of the normal Toyota manufacturer warranty (which is 36 months after purchase of the vehicle or 60,000 miles whichever comes first).  this warranty covers damage to the Turbo Kit and to other parts of the vehicle provided the damage is directly caused by defects in or from improper installation of the Turbo Kit. In the event that a warranty claim related to the Turbo installation is rejected by a Toyota dealer, TMG (Toyota Motorsport GmbH) will cover the claim (subject to the terms laid out previously)

So this looks like I have to contact TMG (not TGB) to get relief.  But I don't quite understand the "In the event that a warranty claim related to the Turbo installation is rejected by a Toyota dealer..." - does this mean there are situations where a dealer would honour a warranty claim with the TTET?  And how will TMG 'cover' the claim, exactly?

This is why I agree with DavidM and find it would be helpful if TGB put in writing their position and why.

SteveJ

What they mean is if the dealer refuses to carry out warranty work on some other part of the car, citing the installation of the turbo as the reason for the refusal then you should contact TMG so they can agree whose is responsible for the problem and it's fix.

mg

Quote from: "SteveJ"...you should contact TMG so they can agree whose is responsible for the problem and it's fix.

heh.  This sounds about as much fun as cat wrangling...

Anonymous

Somewhere on this site is the address and contact for above your local MrT's head.

I cannot find it, can anyone remember?

This has given me renewed spirit to continue my letter writing. You'd think the local MrT would respond to numerous written requests but no. All I want to know in writing is why they have refused to extend the original 3 year warranty now I've got the TTET fitted. The turbo kit has a 3 year warranty that will take me upto March 2009 and extending my original warranty by 2 years will take it upto January 2009. Seems very simple to me but alas not to MrT.

If somebody can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

SteveJ

Quote from: "DavidM"You'd think the local MrT would respond to numerous written requests but no. All I want to know in writing is why they have refused to extend the original 3 year warranty now I've got the TTET fitted. The turbo kit has a 3 year warranty that will take me upto March 2009 and extending my original warranty by 2 years will take it upto January 2009. Seems very simple to me but alas not to MrT.

Now this is a completely different ball game. Toyota (in all of their forms) DO NOT underwrite the extended warranty - it is an external insurance company (AON IIRC for the UK) and they will only take the work on if the car is completely standard. Give them the slightest excuse and they will refuse the cover (or worse still refuse to pay for work that has already been done  s:? :? s:?  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "DavidM"You'd think the local MrT would respond to numerous written requests but no. All I want to know in writing is why they have refused to extend the original 3 year warranty now I've got the TTET fitted. The turbo kit has a 3 year warranty that will take me upto March 2009 and extending my original warranty by 2 years will take it upto January 2009. Seems very simple to me but alas not to MrT.

Now this is a completely different ball game. Toyota (in all of their forms) DO NOT underwrite the extended warranty - it is an external insurance company (AON IIRC for the UK) and they will only take the work on if the car is completely standard. Give them the slightest excuse and they will refuse the cover (or worse still refuse to pay for work that has already been done  s:? :? s:?  )

Steve
I understand that BUT when all said and done if the TTET warranty is covered by AN OTHER, then my 2 is basically standard with TTE springs and TTE Dual Exhaust. Therefore the warranty issue is covered one way or another, and TGB should be capable of sorting this through TMC.
Or have I got this wrong and it's really rocket science  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Plus why the reluctance to respond in writing. This is very poor customer service.

markiii

bear in mind teh extended warranty through AON will have standard terms to TGB

doubt very much they can negotiate them to suit

if it says non modified then thats what it means

SteveJ

And the biggest caveat in the T's&C's - they reserve the right to refuse cover without giving a reason.

Basically they are underwriting a risk (like any insurance company) and if they perceive that risk to be too great (ie there is a remote chance they will have to pay out more than the premium during the life of the policy) then they will decline to take on your business.

Given that TGB DO NOT offer warranty cover for the TTET, there is very little chance that the AON warranty will offer it either (and hence they cannot take the business on)

Best bet would be a 3rd party warranty, but off the top of my head I can't think of any that will cover modified vehicles.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"bear in mind the extended warranty through AON will have standard terms to TGB

doubt very much they can negotiate them to suit

if it says non modified then thats what it means

Yes I understand that but thats not what MrT are telling me. MrT's verbal refusal to extend my warranty was not that my 2 is modified, but more specifically that the TTET "is not Toyota approved".
Now I've asked them verbally once and in writing twice to confirm their reason for refusal without any success.
And the most surprising aspect is that they still wish to service my 2 as they tell me they are fully understanding of the TTET  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

mg

Just to bring things back to my original Q's not related to warranty:

-Have any TTET owners seen what is depicted in the picture at the top of the thread?  I've had a poke around but I still can't find the source of the leak.

-Have any TTET owner noticed if the nappy is supposed to cover the rubber pipe that connects to the front of the intercooler?  It seems odd that this easily damaged rubber hose would be sitting exposed.

Thanks

Gazz

So far I haven't experienced any problems with leaks from the TTET.

With regard to the hose coming from the IC, I'm not sure if the nappy is supposed to protect it, I'll try and get a look at mine this evening and let you know.

Have you asked SP about this yet ??
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

mg

Quote from: "Gazz"With regard to the hose coming from the IC, I'm not sure if the nappy is supposed to protect it, I'll try and get a look at mine this evening and let you know.

Have you asked SP about this yet ??

If you do get a chance to look, it's the hose on the passenger side of the IC, near the centreline of the car, located at the front of the nappy.

I spoke to Matt yesterday but he could only really talk in general as he was not in front of a MR2.

BenF

Quote from: "mg"Just to bring things back to my original Q's not related to warranty:

-Have any TTET owners seen what is depicted in the picture at the top of the thread?  I've had a poke around but I still can't find the source of the leak.

-Have any TTET owner noticed if the nappy is supposed to cover the rubber pipe that connects to the front of the intercooler?  It seems odd that this easily damaged rubber hose would be sitting exposed.

Thanks

FWIW, I found my PE turbo sprung a leak on a rolling road meet just after I'd got it fitted.

I tracked the leak down to a clip on a water coolant hose that wasn't clamping down with enough force to stop water escaping past it when the engine revs were high.

It was fixed by swapping the clip for a jubilee clip - I suspect its something very similar to this that is happening on yours.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tags: