Exhausts mass vs power gains

Started by northernalex, September 7, 2006, 11:58

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"And here I was thinking this simple answer would've been enough.  s:? :? s:?

s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

northernalex

Quotestrangely this was also asked and answered  
sounds like this thread has gone down just the path intended.

The question was asked and answered, much in the way I write scientific journal papers - although I was hoping for some agreement which I have got.

And thank you very much (again) this forum is invaluable (and expensive by the look of things to come!)

Although was hoping someone would shed some light on the actual masses/gains avaliable, if it is known but it hasnt really been mentioned, found in a search the mass of an H+S exhaust.  Anyone know if the (cheapo) Blueflame is light?  Dont have a body kit so it wont be any problem fitting it to any "holes" or anything.  The magnex looks quite nice but with it being so quiet I dont think Id like less noise than stock.  However, it looks great, as does the TTE.. Grrr so many descisions.
And the top secret one is very light.. hmm might be the way to go, and loud too!  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tem

Quote from: "northernalex"And the top secret one is very light.. hmm might be the way to go, and loud too!  s:) :) s:)

The one I mentioned is 4.something lbs for the whole system. It replaces (=removes) the cat too, so you're saving 27.6+16.8-4.something lbs.
(muffler=27.6, cat=16.8 )

But it really is loud. Very loud. Cop-attracting loud.  s:? :? s:?

Amuse also makes some light stuff and you can find weights with other info on their site. Here's also some other links worth browsing:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1758 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"Although was hoping someone would shed some light on the actual masses/gains avaliable, if it is known but it hasnt really been mentioned, found in a search the mass of an H+S exhaust.  Anyone know if the (cheapo) Blueflame is light?  Dont have a body kit so it wont be any problem fitting it to any "holes" or anything.  The magnex looks quite nice but with it being so quiet I dont think Id like less noise than stock.  However, it looks great, as does the TTE.. Grrr so many descisions.
And the top secret one is very light.. hmm might be the way to go, and loud too!  s:) :) s:)

Not sure if you would call my Blueflame light, by the fact it's got an additional pipe fitted it's got to be heavier. You can talk to them about making it light, thinner pipe and less filling could be a start. As for sound it not bad, louder than the TTE not sure about the Magnex.

GSB

Everything you ever wanted to know about the H&S:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91 m

Pertinant points:

Prototype H+S twin pipe wieghed in at 23 lbs, compared to 28lbs for the stock system. Having seen Markiii's production version of the H&S pipe, I think that there are probabley further wieght savings over my protoype version.

The production pipe was independantly dyno tested by RogerH and gave 4bhp over stock if memory serves. Certainly the data was valid as it was a before/after plot, on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same ambient conditions, and the same operator...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

i changed to the H&S cat back, mine is an early 2000. the handling has improved. 5lb less behind the rear wheels has made a big difference, the front end doesnt wander on high speed curves now, and it sounds wonderful when it gets to 4500 revs. i have noticed that the blue flame tail pipe exits the box on the right and travel across to exit on the left. wont be much weight saving on two short pipes exiting form each end of the box

Anonymous

Quote from: "mick"i have noticed that the blue flame tail pipe exits the box on the right and travel across to exit on the left. wont be much weight saving on two short pipes exiting form each end of the box

Hi Mick

The Blueflame I had fitted was custom made for the car, twin pipes one from each side of the box, never had it weighed so not sure on the difference, if any, between the stock and the new.

I never notice any difference in handling when it was fitted, but saying that the car is set-up using Tein suspension which changes the car totally any way.

northernalex

Has anyone had a powerflow system built?  or tried the "Tanabe Super Medalion Racing Spec" I know its a stab in the dark, but shy bairns get nowt as me gran used to say .
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: