Is a turbo 'sensible'?

Started by online, February 22, 2007, 19:16

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I've been thinking about going turbo as well and, as of now, I've decided that I can't justify the expense.

This is the thinking that has led me to conclude that I'm going to make my '2 into the best N/A 1zz I can first and then decide what to do.

These two don't really line up. You can easily spend more than a cost of a turbo into N/A tuning and you're still nowhere near where you would be with a turbo.  s:? :? s:?

"the best N/A 1zz I can."  This doesn't mean the best N/A 1zz in the world.  I'm not going to mess with the internals...  It would hardly make sense for me to say a turbo is too expensive and then spend more than that on improving the 1zz.

QuoteIt's not about staying at high speeds, but getting there bloody fast.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Which is hard to do if you're in traffic.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not criticising anyone's choice and I would love to have a turbo on my car.  I've just decided I can't justify that expense at the moment.

loadswine

I came at this from a slightly different angle, which may work for the odd person ( yes, I know I'm odd!).
I sold my n/a 2 and bought a 2 with turbo already fitted. Cost me the same as a standard 2, pretty much , with the only possible drawback being that I have had to investigate the conversion a bit to try and make sure its all set up correctly. Not a biggy really, as there are many folks on here with vast knowledge and very helpful dispositions.
No , I won't get any more for it come resale time, but that's okay. The car , for me is a total indulgence anyway, so I don't mind.
I think there might be the odd turbo'd 2 around for sale if anyone decides to go that route.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tem

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
QuoteIt's not about staying at high speeds, but getting there bloody fast.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Which is hard to do if you're in traffic.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not criticising anyone's choice and I would love to have a turbo on my car.  I've just decided I can't justify that expense at the moment.

You can't really enjoy the '2 in traffic in any way.  s:? :? s:?

I didn't get you wrong, just teasing you a bit.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

And you get to sit in a car with Turbo stickers on it, other motorists will probably think your lying and have just bought them from Halfords, then you leave the queue and show them! Thats fun.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

philster_d

Quote from: "Tem"You can't really enjoy the '2 in traffic in any way.  s:? :? s:?

On the conterary, this is when the top down comes into its own.

1) Drop the hood, 2) crank the sounds and 3)kick back, catch the rays and relax.

4) look at all the other poor saps trapped in their sardine tins   s:D :D s:D

Mason Storm

Quote from: "loadswine"I came at this from a slightly different angle, which may work for the odd person ( yes, I know I'm odd!).
I sold my n/a 2 and bought a 2 with turbo already fitted. Cost me the same as a standard 2, pretty much , with the only possible drawback being that I have had to investigate the conversion a bit to try and make sure its all set up correctly. Not a biggy really, as there are many folks on here with vast knowledge and very helpful dispositions.
No , I won't get any more for it come resale time, but that's okay. The car , for me is a total indulgence anyway, so I don't mind.
I think there might be the odd turbo'd 2 around for sale if anyone decides to go that route.

This sounds like a more cost effective way of doing things. I just wonder how much more exoensive the insurance is? If it's not too much more then I'm now considering this option.
Silver 01, Che manifold, Sp Exhaust, markii pipe & TRD filter , Braided Hoses. Corky FSTB

loadswine

I think my insurance went up by about £80 or £90 from my last 2, but I don't do many miles in mine and that helps.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mason Storm"
Quote from: "loadswine"I came at this from a slightly different angle, which may work for the odd person ( yes, I know I'm odd!).

This sounds like a more cost effective way of doing things. I just wonder how much more exoensive the insurance is? If it's not too much more then I'm now considering this option.

Mine went up about £70 IIRC.

spit

I negotiated a deal with the underwriters where modifications only have to be notified to support any claim and won't affect my premium. It took a while but was worth it.

Best advice is to shop around - eg AFlux works well for many boostees, but they couldn't touch me for less than £2k  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  cos of a high risk postcode.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: