disabling the reverse bleeper

Started by Anonymous, March 6, 2007, 16:59

Anonymous

instuctions on spyder chat (found after a search on here  s:) :) s:)  )

m http://spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 15&start=0 m

has anyone here actually done this? is it as simple as it looks?

donna is threatining divorce because of this annoying noise! (i may also want to find a way to increase the volume  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )

Anonymous

it is that simple!

Wabbitkilla

[Goes to get screwdriver and cutters] the little bugger's not going to last long now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

KABOOOOMMMM!!!!!

evileye_wrx

Whilst I hate the beep I think without it I would put it into reverse quite often instead of 1st. Imagine the embarrassment as you pose up to the lights with the roof down, gunning the engine, then as the amber turns to green you speed backwards into the car behind!

If I don't want to hear it I just crank up the stereo to drown it out.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

did this at work last night, 5 minutes tops! im thinking of wiring in a switch though so i can turn it on or off at will.

Mollydog

Could a circuit breaker be put in place so it would sound the buzzer for say three times then cut out? That way it would warn you when you're in reverse (in error) but go off while you're actually reversing. As I'm distracted by the buzzer whilst I'm reversing, if anything I tend to lose concentration due to it

cesare

roger

Quote from: "mollydog"As I'm distracted by the buzzer whilst I'm reversing, if anything I tend to lose concentration due to it

Not a lorry driver then.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mollydog"Could a circuit breaker be put in place so it would sound the buzzer for say three times then cut out?

wrong terminology but yes it could, a circuit breaker is normally a thermally or electrically tripped but resetable fuse, which wont help in the slightest. I'm sure maplins or RS will do a beeper that will only beep a couple of times for each activation, just wire the dash connection into one of them rather than into the dash instruments themselves
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Antman

Time has come to give this annoying beeper 'the chop'!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I have been caught out before at the lights, having engaged reverse instead of first - and the only thing that saved the back end of the car (and the guy behind's front) was the beep, so clearly I still need a reminder that reverse ain't first..

Does anyone know if I could just whip out the 'beeper' and install a bulb/LED instead and have a flashing effect where it would normally beep - or would the light be on constantly, until I disengage reverse?

My '2 doesn't have A/C you see, so there is a bit of disused dash I could install a light into...   s8) 8) s8)
Ex - 2006 Lagoon Blue with black leather interior, K&N filter, J-spec nose badge, CLUB STICKER, TTE hoop for the bling!

Now - Porsche Boxster S, Arctic Silver - awaiting funds for mods!

Rather than cut the wires, I bunged Blue-Tack into the beeper to reduce the volume to a more acceptable level.  Worked for me.

uktotty

Should I have a reversing bleeper???

Chris_h

Quote from: "uktotty"Should I have a reversing bleeper???

It was a post 03 thing Russ - so your blingmobile is bleep free  s:D :D s:D  

Maybe a bleep would compliment the gearknob?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"It was a post 03 thing ...

And SMT.

uktotty

Quote from: "Chris_h"

As of this weekend I will know when I am in reverse as my DVD will stop playing and turn on my rear view camera  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Where is the beeper, the blu tac fix seems a good compromise to me  s:? :? s:?

Chris

that sc thread lists it as being the black cylinder on the left, so you still have to take the dash apart...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "Chris_h"

As of this weekend I will know when I am in reverse as my DVD will stop playing and turn on my rear view camera  s:P :P s:P

That's going to be quite cool to see Russ.

When Stu let me out in his I put it in reverse at a junction. (First time in a 6 speed) the beep was the only thing that stopped me going into the guy behind me.
I can see how it would be really anoying though.

Simon

Leeber

It is really annoying but I'm with Phil on this, I've lost count of the number of times it's saved me. Also we lost a friend a couple of years ago when the car she was in accidentally reversed over a cliff because the driver mistakenly engaged reverse instead of 1st.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

I wired in a switch, i simply switch it off when the beepig starts when i engage reverse, and back on again as i go into first.

stavros58

Hi Sorry to open an old thread but this beeper has been driving me mad for three years but I dont want to disable it all together, so Im trying to muffle the thing so I can still hear it as but not at HGV reversing level. I have taken the binnacle off as suggested undone the 3 screws that hold the speedo etc in place and have good access now, but unlike everyone else who seem to have a black box with a speaker my beep comes out from the speedo, side of the clocks rather than from behind them at the speedometer side.  Is this a final modification by Toyota to stop people disabling it and driving off cliffs etc my MR2 is the final 300 production model so any changes will be final.  it appears that I would have the wrap the whole thing in thick tape to reduce the noise can anyone help disabling, the thing completely is not an option as the inevitable reversing at traffic lights will happen.

Thanks Stavros
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

Anonymous

Remove the coin holder and wire in a switch, seemples.

dixiedave90

proberly not the best thing to do but i pushed a cable tie into the buzzer unit in the dashboard worked a treat for me now i dont have to listen to that unbarable beep noise when you put it in reverse or open the door with the keys in when parked.
David...
2003 mr2 roadster / pipercross panel filter with custom intake piping / custom twin exit longlife exhaust made by ice direct / in car dvd / colour codeing all round / trd spoiler added / hid 6000K with led side and number plate bulbs / front bumper weight saving due to hitting a hare :S

mr-ed_smt

I just put a bit bluetac over the buzzer - you can still hear it, its just much quieter. Took about 4 minutes to unlclip the binnacle, unscrew clocks, stick bluetac in the buzzer, and put it all back together. Very easy - and easy to reverse it should you ever need to (when selling etc).

Now I can reverse with the roof down without being embarrassed  s:D :D s:D  !

Word of warning - on the SMT the reverse buzzer is also the gearbox/clutch warning buzzer which sounds when there is a fault (i.e. if the clutch is overheating). Obviously this is quieter as well now!
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

psyguy

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"I just put a bit bluetac over the buzzer - you can still hear it, its just much quieter. Took about 4 minutes to unlclip the binnacle, unscrew clocks, stick bluetac in the buzzer, and put it all back together. Very easy - and easy to reverse it should you ever need to (when selling etc).

Is there a write up anywhere on how to get to this buzzer? I searched and searched the forum but no joy   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Thanks

Tags: