revs jumping on gear change

Started by Anonymous, March 20, 2007, 10:49

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"You can't go wrong at that price for Toyos Sam - good choice (even though I don't run on 'em myself  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). Watch out, Toyos take a little longer than other brands to de-slip from the release agent (couple of hundred miles just to be safe).

There were some generic Mafs on Ebay from a Maf supplier just a few weeks ago at about £50. Can't find the link but it'll be here somewhere  s8) 8) s8)  MrT sourced ones are £130ish IIRC, but you'll have seen from Liz (and hubby's) experience just how much difference a fading Maf makes - took us all a bit by surprise.

thanks for the advice i was told 100 mile run in but i wll give it a bit longer just to be on the safe side like you said!

i have found the MAF cleaning info using search will it work just cleaning or will i have to replace it?

also how can you tell the difference between needs cleaning and needs replacing??

Liz

Basically if you clean it and it is still acting the same it is pooped. I am sure that there must be some test that you can do on it to find out, by being a techo dweeb I wouldn't know.  Those ones on ebay were £50, mine from Mr T was £107 inc vat.  When you think about it - they must have a life and mine and husbands expired by 70k so I would of thought by 95K it was well past it.  Good luck!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Basically if you clean it and it is still acting the same it is pooped. I am sure that there must be some test that you can do on it to find out, by being a techo dweeb I wouldn't know.  Those ones on ebay were £50, mine from Mr T was £107 inc vat.  When you think about it - they must have a life and mine and husbands expired by 70k so I would of thought by 95K it was well past it.  Good luck!

thanks!

Do they ever pack up enough to cause major problems does anyone know??

spit

That's a tough question to answer (cause and effect and all that) but I'm not aware of anyone with a catastrophic issue that has traced it back to the Maf as the causative factor.

As Liz says (and discovered), they seem to fade (rather than pack up completely) and send the tune off a bit. Mines at 97k now and basking in 12psi. It seems OK, but I know the tune will be better if I swap it out ... particularly as, on reflection, I had a dyno dip at exactly the same point as Liz's kicked in.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

i'll clean it up and see what occurs!

Anonymous

i have been searching through all the MAF posts to get as much info as i can without asking the questions all over again but i cant answer this,
it seems that when you have cleaned your MAF its best to reset your ECU which i am going to do by disconnecting my battery but what affect will this have on my alarm when i reconnect it will it just work as normal?
or do you have to reset it?

Liz

Alarm works normally, no problem.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

lovely thanks!
i'm all set for a total mr2 cleaning, banging and clanging day then
just hope it all goes to plan or it will be  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   for me!
thanks for all your info guys

heathstimpson

You will just loose the radio presets when disconnecting the battery.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

i dont mind that as long as nothing else malfunctions!

Anonymous

Big thanks to everyone for all your info!
Had a big MR2 fiddle day today Pre-cats came out, MAF cleaned, ECU reset and generally checked everything over she runs alot crisper now and sounds sweet!!

Would you believe it 95k on the clock and the Pre-cats looked brand new!
Still removed the buggers though!

There they are and what a weight of my mind it is, i didn't realise how much they were bugging me being in there, but i realised after that they were as i dont feel so worried about giving it some anymore.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

I really would recommend removing them to anyone who hasn't, its not that much of a hard job although bolts do tend to round off or snap  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   so if you have any mates that are engineers or mechanics get them on board because you will probably need them!

Tags: