oh dear there goes teh gearbox

Started by markiii, May 7, 2007, 19:05

Tem

I thought the MR-S and Celica boxes are the same, only difference being the gear change stick. And they sure seemed identical, when they were side by side.  s:? :? s:?

We took the input shafts off the box already when we removed the box from the car and left the shafts there, so that wasn't an issue. It just seemed easier this way, cause we didn't have any special tools either.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

I think we are talking cross terminology here

Tem, if you left the input shafts on teh car I assume your talking about driveshafts?

Stu is talking about teh Primary shaft in teh box itself
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Tem, if you left the input shafts on the car I assume your talking about driveshafts?

Oops, driveshafts that is.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

QuoteStu is talking about the Primary shaft in the box itself

When we opened the "LSD-end", all the shafts remained in the other end of the box. I'll see if I can find the pics I took.  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Interesting - we've already tried to take the bell housing (clutch end housing) off the main gearset housing, and it wouldn't come off (or rather it would pop off about 2cm and then stop - with no amount of hammering on the input shaft with a hide hammer making it go any further).

Looking at the BGB it appears that the splined section of the input shaft (which usually goes into the clutch) is wider than it's plain section, meaning it wouldn't fit through the input shaft bearing.. but you're saying the only thing jamming both halves together is the gear selector mechanism?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

Right, just ordered a UK 6 Speed LSD box for £246 with 43K on teh clock

should be here Thursday

anyone know how I can identify a 6 speed from a 5 speed by sight before I install it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Will it have a part no. on it? Check with toyota if it has?

markiii

anyone know where I can get a magnetic gearbox drain plug?

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"Right, just ordered a UK 6 Speed LSD box for £246 with 43K on the clock

You and your ruddy bargains, jammy sod  s;) ;) s;)

Pretty sure the casing is the same either way, so perhaps the shift forks and bracket is the best way?

Oh - and to check it has the LSD, if you can see through the output hole it doesn't, if I remember rightly..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"you're saying the only thing jamming both halves together is the gear selector mechanism?

It's not the only thing, but it's one thing.

This is kinda hard to explain, cause I have no idea about the correct english terms  s:? :? s:? , but here goes. There are three small steel balls against the shafts. You can remove them from outside, they are under bolts through the cover. You can see there in the exploded views in BGB and maybe it'll make more sense than my explanation.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But you probably need to take some or all of them off. It might be different depending which end you open, but IIRC, we had to remove one of them.

It opens roughly an inch without excess force before you remove those. We had the same issue and you can't force it open much more than that without breaking anything. Once they are off, the halves are completely loose and you can just lift it off.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"anyone know how I can identify a 6 speed from a 5 speed by sight before I install it?

I'd say you can't. They are identical, including the labels. But if the gear selector shaft is in place, you can use it to see which one it is. Either by checking the number of gears or the reverse location.

Quote from: "aaronjb"Oh - and to check it has the LSD, if you can see through the output hole it doesn't, if I remember rightly..

Yeah, that's correct.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"This is kinda hard to explain, cause I have no idea about the correct english terms  s:? :? s:? , but here goes. There are three small steel balls against the shafts. You can remove them from outside, they are under bolts through the cover. You can see there in the exploded views in BGB and maybe it'll make more sense than my explanation.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hmm.. just looked through the BGB and I can't figure out which parts you're referring to  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  D'oh!

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Tem"This is kinda hard to explain, cause I have no idea about the correct english terms  s:? :? s:? , but here goes. There are three small steel balls against the shafts. You can remove them from outside, they are under bolts through the cover. You can see there in the exploded views in BGB and maybe it'll make more sense than my explanation.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hmm.. just looked through the BGB and I can't figure out which parts you're referring to  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  D'oh!

I'll try to explain it better later tonight with the BGB in other hand.  s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I'll try to explain it better later tonight with the BGB in other hand.  s:D :D s:D

s;) ;) s;)  I'm sure it's not your English - just me not being able to see the bits in the diagram that you're referring to  s:) :) s:)

There's always method no 2. for casing removal I suppose: an angle grinder  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"

I'll try to explain it better later tonight with the BGB in other hand.  s:D :D s:D

Page MX-18, para 21  s:?: :?: s:?:

philster_d

errrkkkk

Think I have a problem, is it gearbox week or what ?

I can hear a knocking when going slow maybe in first gear, seems to be pulling ok etc. Sounds like a diesely noise in fat I dismissed it as the white van behind me at first. Just got home and noticed it again while parking up.

Sounds awfuly familiar.

Just check the dipstic, there is a bit of residue, not exactly grit but clearly not good.

Phil

markiii

you won't get gearbox remains in teh sump Phil, the oil supplies are completely seperate

philster_d

OK could just be dirty then.

Still seems to be drive or load related, the engine revs freely enough.

aaronjb

You sure it's not the belt tensioner, Phil?

Anonymous

Work in progress for me too  s;) ;) s;)

Damn fu**** bearings !

Did you find a new gearbox markiii?

aaronjb

Congrats on managing to get that driveshaft out with it all still on the car Ben - it takes a fair bit of thumping with a drift, doesn't it!

When we did Marks we actually pulled the hub & driveshaft off with the box and removed it once off the car - easier to get at it that way..

Oh and..

*points at the trolley jack* See guys, told you we should have done it like that  s;) ;) s;)

*hides from Mark & Stu*

Anonymous

thx lol

I had to get out the driveshaft before the gearbox, cause my MR2 was stuck in front of my house, outdoor, and gearbox blocked, so it was my only solution to get it indoor... :S

Does the other driveshaft is as hard as the first??!!

It was really fuc***** boring to get it out  s:( :( s:(

aaronjb

Nope - the other driveshaft has no snap-ring, it just slides right out  s:) :) s:)

In fact, we dropped the box off the driveshaft, rather than remove the driveshaft.  If you drop the centre bracket off the block that might make things even easier.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Nope - the other driveshaft has no snap-ring, it just slides right out  s:) :) s:)

In fact, we dropped the box off the driveshaft, rather than remove the driveshaft.  If you drop the centre bracket off the block that might make things even easier.

Thank you for this news, you just make me smile after 2 crying days !

s:D :D s:D

Now, I just have to wait all my parts...

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"

Check the page MX-11. The first one is on the top right corner, Ball, Spring, Seat and a 25Nm bolt. There are two more on other shafts.

aaronjb

Ahh! D'oh!

See, I told you it'd be me not seeing something, rather than your description  s:) :) s:)

Tags: