SP exhaust ...

Started by Anonymous, May 14, 2007, 19:45

Liz

My previous '2 had lovely burbles and pops - I get them occasionally now - I do miss them, but the other aspects of the car make up for it!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

ChrisGB

Hi

I get plenty of pops and burbles around the 2000-3000rpm area if just pootling gently along part on part off throttle. If under load it does not do it, and if I lift off at say 4000rpm and leave the throttle alone, it does not do it.

My reckoning is that the OEM engine program puts in a little fuel to smooth the overrun cut off. With the stock system, you don't notice it, but with a better breathing manifold, cat and exhaust, the cylinders may get just a little over scavenged, pulling a little mixture into the exhaust, maybe even making the cylinder a fraction too under filled to fire consistently. The resulting mixture then burns in the exhaust system when it gets enough heat to ignite.

Personally I love the way it burbles and pops. Other thing I noticed when my mate drove the car away from me was that when he changed gear at lowish revs, there was a sort of pop as the throttle came off giving a really crisp finish to the sound at the end of each gear.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Just got out of the car tonight from work with the engine running and it burbles at idle, souds really strange!

firepower

my exhaust burbles and pops too sounds really great i believe that is how it should sound and if it is'nt i'm not having it fixed because i like the noises it makes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

I dont know if im hearing some otther kind of noise though! not from the exhaust, i will have to investigate!

firepower

mmm  s:? :? s:?   yeah , i hear other noises too but it usually turns out i'm just being paranoid hope the same goes for you
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

Listening today! i think the noise i can hear inside the car is the exhaust! it strange it sounds more mechanical, like a knocking noise, but not. I followed it from the inside to the outside and it sounds like the exhaust burble but at a different pitch!

Its strange how much the exhaust sounds different now its been broke in!

Anonymous

Quote from: "bossman23780"Listening today! i think the noise i can hear inside the car is the exhaust! it strange it sounds more mechanical, like a knocking noise, but not. I followed it from the inside to the outside and it sounds like the exhaust burble but at a different pitch!

Its strange how much the exhaust sounds different now its been broke in!

Get it on a track and give it some s**t   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  - that'll sort it out for you.

Your baffles / fibre matting will either stay in or be removed  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You follow me then and tell me what comes out!   s:P :P s:P

Liz

Are you positive its not the crap quality TTE marked heatshied, mine had weird noises and despite the fact that I thought it was down solid, it wasn't...just a thought.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

No, totally different type of noise and i resolved that issue of the shield by just using locking washers!

Mason Storm

I Have an SP exhaust and Che manifold (still has a standard cat). I get lots of burbles and a few pops, sounds fantastic in my opinion.

Matt from SP said that he designed the exhaust to burble when driving at low speeds so you can enjoy the sound even when cruising.

I originally had a che exhaust and che manifold which was a bit quiter but even with that i occasionally got a pop.

Mine was expecially loud today as it was warmer, probably a bit too loud on hot days but the rest of the time it's great. I deliberately try and make it pop it's like a little game I play to see how often I can get it to do it. at low revs and low speed prod the pedal for a second or two and back off or alternatively get the revs up and back off for a louder pop.
Silver 01, Che manifold, Sp Exhaust, markii pipe & TRD filter , Braided Hoses. Corky FSTB

Tags: