DNA 3Sixty (Ferrari 360 look-a-like)

Started by cdrskull, August 10, 2007, 20:06

cdrskull

Quote from: "spit":shock: A lot of work has gone into the manufacture of that kit.

Whats your timeline for getting this completed Steve? You seem to be sailing through the big stuff at a heck of a pace.  s8) 8) s8)

Hi m8, no real target. But before xmas would be nice. The big stuff flys on it will be the jobs coming up that will take the long time. Next I will bond the back on (30 mins) then I will prep and hang the first door. This will need to be left over night. The day after I will sand the return away so it then opens. The following 2 days will be spent doing the other door. Once these are done then the door handle may take a couple more days. .. then we have the bonnet and boot, a day each. Then theres all the smaller bits like mirrors / roof flappy bits and stuff, they will take the longest. So it should be redy for some paint be the end of the month.

Just need to find somewhere local to spray it.. anyone recommend anywhere ? The body needs to be baked 3 times upto 50 deg's.. then any repairs being done to air bubbles that have burst. There will be a bit of prep work needed on it.. so I'm guessing 1 to 2k for it.

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

Anonymous

I'd be glad if someone could recommend a paint shop up here as well. Thinking about getting my wingmirrors and bonnet resprayed.

uktotty

How much is a set of Ferarri wheels then???

DannyN

Quote from: "cdrskull"I'm going to get some 2mm machined discs with a few holes and bits on them and put them on the inside of the alloy, then I'm going to get some false brake calipers and stick these on as well

Does that mean the fake brake calipers will spin round and round while you drive?
How will that look at the lights when you slow down to a stop ?
How do you get them to stop in the right place when you park up ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

tonigmr2

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Those panel gaps would but our German car manufacturers to shame  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s8) 8) s8)

Agreed, spot on!
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I must be the only one who'd be embarrased to be seen driving it then  s:-( :-( s:-(

I never realised such a thing existed for the Roadster, though it was just the Mk2 crowd.

Time has came to sell mine quickly I feel!  s;) ;) s;)

Umm, but more seriously - looks like an impressive project regardless of what the end results give you.

aaronjb

Quote from: "fanjules"Time has came to sell mine quickly I feel!  s;) ;) s;)

Think I'd rather a 360 conversion than blue gaffa tape covering up holes in my door  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Meh.  Cheapest and most effective form of active aerodynamics currently available when it starts to peel off...

cdrskull

Sorry guys, got rained off tonight so no pictures.. but I managed to get the back bonded on and also dry fixed + bolted a door skin to the car. Tomorrow I will have a go at removing the door return, doing the other door and also bolting on the rear bumper on to save me lifting it in and out off the garage.

more to come

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

uktotty

Steve!
Do you actually have a job??

cdrskull

Quote from: "uktotty"Steve!
Do you actually have a job??

Hi m8.. I buy and sell laptops, some on ebay at the mo.. [shameless plug]  m http://www.cdrpro.co.uk m  [/shameless plug]

:-) :-) :-)

Well I'm fed up with working from a small garage.. fed up with the weather.. BUT very pleased with the kit..

Tonight I worked outside in a bit of rain.. drizzle, got fed up off not getting anywhere for a day. So I spent an hour messing about with one of the doors and I cut out the exhaust cat bit thats needed to fit the bumper.. so the rear bumper's on with 3 bolts.. thats why its not quite sitting right on the left hand side, just needs nipping up abit.

As the door goes.. its getting there, it opens but rubs in a couple of places so I need to spend another couple of hours making sure its just right, no point rushing this bit as I would regret it later. I need to make the front alittle more ridged as I only put one fixing tap screw type thing at the top and bottom, this will make the job a bit simpler with the door. Will phone DNA up in the morning and ask there advice on this.. Just wondering when I can bond the front on really..  :-) :-) :-)

Anyway.. heres some pic's

more to come.. depending on the bloody weather !!!

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

heathstimpson

Wow that's coming on at an alarming pace; looking good  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Draggon

Stunning  s:) :) s:) .....have you sourced all the ferrari type interior...or will DNA supply that?

Good luck chap...will look impresive when finished
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

Im impressed! Can't get away with the width of that door though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Chris_h

Quote from: "nelix"I'm impressed! Can't get away with the width of that door though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
You can sell it to the missus as 'improved side impact protection'   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

damonball

Hi Steve, Hows the build coming along?

Good luck with the project

Damon

cdrskull

Hi m8.. been busy with looking after my lad and wont have much time till he starts school in 2 weeks. I have however sold my Mondeo now so I've been looking for a run-a-bout. I am at an important stage in the kit with the door fitting which I want to be right and with the small garage / poor weather last week I decided I am best leaving it until my lads back so I can take my time and make sure its right. No point rushing it for a 2 weeks..

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

cdrskull

At last.. I had a couple hours free today and it was nice outside.. so I pushed the car out and managed to get a little further  :-) :-) :-)  

Both doors are on and open as they should. I still need to spend an hour on each getting them just right but I feel like I've got somewhere today  :-) :-) :-) . I also made a start on one for the door handles and I'm happy with it so far. I just need to find my dremmel to make the hole the right shape then I can fix the door handle to the lever.

Once both doors are on and I'm happy then I can bond these in place and then bond and fix everything else (cant wait)

Below are a few pic's, very much a work in progress but I thought it was about time I posted something..

cheers

Steve

DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Anonymous

Shes coming along nicely m8 !!!

I did wonder whether you were going to carry on posting the progress on here !!!

Good work, looks like your doing a top job.

cdrskull

yeah I will keep posting till its finished, just with having the crappy weather and looking after my eldest lad until he starts school I just havent had anytime to do anything.

I spent an hour tonight and got the handle working  :-) :-) :-)

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

alancdavis

Great job,,,,  s8) 8) s8)
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Mad Bob

Looks brilliant, far better than the ferrari kit for the mk2's.

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Just wondering how the back will look though, doesn't the 360 have the Ferrari engine showing through the glass?
Converse Boot!

cdrskull

Hi m8.. yeah your right in that you can see the engine through the rear window. On the 3sixty kit this is just blank..

In the above piccy they just put a black mash under the window do give it a little depth. I have thought of a few options even placing a 32inch lcd panel underneth and displaying an engine from a pc which I will be installing, but I think this is going a bit far. I will most likely do the mash / grill like in the picture above but also add some red led strips eitherside so at night the glass will glow red.

steve

*[Mod]Duplicate post deleted for you Steve - Ste [/Mod]*
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Mad Bob

Bit of a tricky one then...

If you are badging it with Ferrari badges then you will have to find something to make it as authentic as pos.

If you keep it badged with custom or mrs badges or something then it wont really matter.

You still have a couple of months to deceide though.
Converse Boot!

cdrskull

HUZZAH.. the forums are back  :-) :-) :-)

Got a few more pic's for you. The car IS being collected a week on monday for spraying so I need to get it ready SUPERFAST..

heres some pics

more to come  :-) :-) :-)
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Tags: