Roger's Turbo

Started by roger, January 14, 2008, 09:59

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"I really need to stop working in garages where there are cameras.. because god I'm a fat b*****d!   s:( :( s:(  
No cameras came out when you helped me matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Christopherathens

That looks like a great setup!Have fun with it..  s:) :) s:)  
 I see that a lot of you guys are using chargecoolers rather that intercoolers..Since i am probably gonna go with a rotrex supercharger can you give a price estimate for the a chargecooler setup:The barrel,the pump..
2zz-gZe powered by J.P.Motis / WEB3.0
325.7 hp

www.mr2rotrex.blogspot.com

MR2 Club Of Greece

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Christopherathens"That looks like a great setup!Have fun with it..  s:) :) s:)  
 I see that a lot of you guys are using chargecoolers rather that intercoolers..Since i am probably gonna go with a rotrex supercharger can you give a price estimate for the a chargecooler setup:The barrel,the pump..
The xperts will come along soon but I think it costs quite a bit re £700ish upwards  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

...have to report a small pool of pink water under the chargecooler reservoir in the garage.

Since its probably a "bumper-off" job I'll leave it till weekend. Hopefully its just a clip that needs a couple more turns.

TO THE VULTURES:

Ian, the TTE is on a promise at the moment made some weeks ago. I'll check out and if its not required I'll post up.

There's also a Unichip and Che manifold, if anybody wants to put dibs in now   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'll sort prices and pics out in next few days, unless any offers picture unseen.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"That liquid enema diet seems to be quite radical Aaron

You can see the pained expression on my face, I think Aaron was wanting advice as to whether he should hold it higher   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

roger

Quote from: "Silverman"Hi Roger,
              Has a turbo been a long term plan or did you suddenly get an uncontrollable urge?  When the roads dry up (!?) you must give us your first impressions of driving a "2 with a turb."   Have a ball,  S'man.

More of a long term urge   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  which became uncontrollable when this came up. Thank you Nige (& Alison).  s:D :D s:D
Roger

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your fluid leak Roger, but the weather report for this week's rubbish anyway!

With regard to the TTE exhaust, if it ends up being available I wouldn't mind first dibs.

SimonC - Thanks for the kind offer. I would appreciate first dibs if thats ok.

SimonC_Here

Not a problem, you're all dibbed up!  s;) ;) s;)

Simon

kanujunkie

welcome to the tinkering club Roger, your going to need to expect to have a few little bits that need fixing from time to time with turbo's, nothing major normally though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hmm.. I don't think I furgled far enough in to dilodge the aerial wire, but it is possible - I was furgling with the stereo wiring to take a feed off for the gauge, after all  s;) ;) s;)

Glad it got you home OK  s:) :) s:)  The CEL should be a P0155 - O2 Heater failure, Bank 2, Sensor 1.  If it's anything else then something else isn't behaving as it should, so let us know..

Spent a fair bit of the morning dismantling the radio, aerial wire was OK, then I had a   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  . Of course when we disconnected the battery we lost all the pre-sets...DOH!

And yes P0155. Interestingly this code isn't in my 2003 BGB. No bother, but I wonder why not?

I tightened up the hose clips around the chargecooler reservoir, couldn't see anything obvious except it was a bit damp. That could have been road / rain though.  It needed just over 2 pints fluid. Turbo to reservoir pipe had about 18" air. I powered the pump and its now full. Just have to keep an eye on it. That also might be small airlocks now risen to the top. Not panicking, yet.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

uktotty

LOL so YOU were receiving the other end then Rog  s;) ;) s;)

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"LOL so YOU were receiving the other end then Rog  s;) ;) s;)

Kills the brain cells - so I'm told   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Roger

uktotty

to be fair, it depends on how far you push it it!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"And yes P0155. Interestingly this code isn't in my 2003 BGB. No bother, but I wonder why not?

i very much doubt thats a 2003 BGB you have Roger, i've never seen one and what weve all got is a 2000 BGB
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i very much doubt thats a 2003 BGB you have Roger, i've never seen one and what weve all got is a 2000 BGB

*cough* Yes, CD from USA *cough* Leastways it's got 2003 at the bottom of each page, though its all left handed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .
Roger

roger

Just an update. The Haltech was binned and Hypersport fitted and tuned an Emanage to get me 220BHP. Excellent work Chris, added to Feedback for posterity.

A couple of ongoing problems though, the Charge Cooler pump blew 2 fuses, and now sounds distinctly dodgy. There was quite a bit of fluid leakage from the front, and we guessed air might have got in to create an airlock, which it didn't like.

Looked on Ebay last night, there was a SH one from a GT4 at £25 + or a brand new generic at £60, which is supposed to have 15,000 hours life against 700 for OEM. Don't know how accurate that is, but it tipped the balance, because you don't really know how good a scrappy / part out will actually be. Don't want the same problem again.

Hope to have it tomorrow. If so I'll bring it to Mark's on Saturday, so there are some spare hands if fitting gets fiddly.

One interesting point, when the chargecooler was working Chris got 7 - 8 psi. but when there was no water in the barrell he only managed 3 - 4 psi. Shows what a good add on it is.

BTW a reminder that beer and cake on me as a birthday treat for anybody who turns up at Marks (I have his permission   s8) 8) s8)  ).

One final point on the turbo, at one stage it looked as though the manifold might have had a pin prick in one of its joints, but after more investigation it looked like drops of oil were coming from the turbo onto the manifold. Chris reckoned it might have been the turbo seals on the way out. However as the day progressed it seemed to stop. Any comments???
Roger

markiii

220ispretty good for a PE what was teh torque figure?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"220ispretty good for a PE what was the torque figure?

TBH don't know. Didn't see that graph and forgot to take printout home, Chris is posting it up to me.
Roger

loadswine

Those are very good figures Roger. Not sure what the anomalous signs on the manifold are. There is the odd splash marks of the odd weld on the manifold, it could possibly be that?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

roger

Quote from: "loadswine"Not sure what the anomalous signs on the manifold are. There is the odd splash marks of the odd weld on the manifold, it could possibly be that?

No, we could actual see puffs of smoke as the oil hit the manifold. It created a black mark, which was the original thought about the pin-prick, and fumes coming from it. But that did mean the exhaust was oily, so an engine problem. Further thought / analysis came up with the leaky turbo theory. But as I said it stopped, so hopefully not too bad. Will keep an eye on it, and oil levels, just in case.
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"One final point on the turbo, at one stage it looked as though the manifold might have had a pin prick in one of its joints, but after more investigation it looked like drops of oil were coming from the turbo onto the manifold. Chris reckoned it might have been the turbo seals on the way out. However as the day progressed it seemed to stop. Any comments???

Would something along the lines of thermal expansion being playing a part, I remember how hot mine was getting after a day on the rolling road, so the turbo must be pretty dam hot. The time to watch is from start up when cold then when eveything is at it's max tolerance, just like taking a bath in ice - everything shrinks   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Nice figures bye the way Roger, it was a shame I missed the days you were there - Chris is one of the best I'm sure he could get blood out of a stone if he tried.

Rob

kanujunkie

they're nice figures if your looking at BHP only , but just a word of caution, those are bloody high figures for that turbo and injectors and i hope that Chris hasn't maxxed out the injectors which would put it in a scenario where it could easily run lean.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

yeah thats as big as Martin ever got on his PE however he ahd a full custo exhaust and no CAT   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

hypersports tune for max power and not torque, just make sure you keep an eye on the AFR Roger and you may want to get an EGT guage as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Guys

Just to fill you in, we mapped Rogers car, on the larger injectors, at 11.5:1 and there was plenty fuel.  The car produced 221 BHP and 189 lbs/ft torque.  All I can say is what a difference that chargecooler makes.  As Roger said, the car produced 4psi boost with a non-operational chargecooler and very hign charge temps, not being able to touch to chargecooler itself.  With a fully functional chargecooler and much lower charge temps the car would boost to 6 or 7psi and felt noticeably quicker.  We mapped Phil's turbo last year with the PE kit and made 200BHP, so the chargecooler must make a great improvement over no intercooling.

Thanks, Chris

Tags: