Ordered Che Manifold, Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Strut Brace

Started by tom_deas, June 20, 2008, 13:51

uktotty

Quote from: "aaronjb"I do believe the technical term is "a bit on the p*ss".
Stop using all that engineering Jargon!

Anonymous

The most important thing here is to make sure that the manifold, cat and exhaust can be fitted together securely.
The next most important thing is to make sure that the manifold fits to the head without any stress.
Then where the exhauet system joins to the rest of the engine and chassis it may be necessary to make adjustments / improvise.
I guess that the worst scenario if if you get it to fit and the pipes are not central or they are skewed.
When I fitted my manifold I ended up using a nut and bolt through one of the bottom fixings because I couldn't get the original bolt to align. It's been absolutely fine for two years.
Another option? Get a quote from an  engineering shop to re-align the pipe (got to be cheaper than sending it back, haggling over the postage, time, won't come in under the radar etc, etc)

Anonymous

One faulty exhaust is acceptable, two is pushing it. Someone must have been half a sleep when they put these things together.

As said above I suspect that the design was based around the complete system and not sections, I did see Phils crack  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  it was not a pretty on the old eyes - I suspect you will end up going the same way if you fit that system.

The thing is, they are supposed to be cheap, but when you weigh up all the messing around and possible modifications, you may as well have gone the whole hogg and brought a decent system.

Rob.

tom_deas

Quoteworth going the whole hogg

was a calculated risk really... at the end of the day i did get all three parts with shipping for LESS than the cost of just a catback from anywhere else. which yes, is saying something, but at the same time its a risk. the manifold *should* be fine, and the strut is definately fine.

My message to Che:

QuoteChe

Nightmare with the exhaust. the cat doesnt appear to line up with the pipe on exhaust it should enter. hence, can't compress down. is there some specific method of installation? have spent the entire day trying to figure this out but no luck at all.

Link to MR2ROC posting

l viewtopic.php...48&start=60 l

Tom

response from Che:

QuoteHi Tom,

This is the Exhaust we installed on our local Customer blingman:

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45220 m

The installation actually just need to mount the top 2 hanger brackets first this way leaves you enough flexbility to mount the pipe to exhaust. (The special bracket is for the Bracket next to Exhaust tip section)

Let me know if this work out for you, Thank you !

Che

i think ill be more direct and ask him if the 30o bend is deliberate or not. if its part of the design then i guess as per his instructions, if its a fault then.... shant be amused. i think id probably just ask for a refund on the catback and 50% of the shipping costs, and invest in a janspeed rather than risk a second faulty item.

took the risk and if it doesnt work out well what the hell eh. thats life *sigh*

but if its a deliberate part of the design, then off to mechanic...

****EDIT****

As per the following links, it appears as if the bend is a deliberate part of the design as others have it too.

eBay listing

Spyderchat link (again)

In the second one it isn't as clear, but if you draw a line between the two exits downwards and a line out of the exhaust entry pipe you can see they aren't perpendicular, theres a c.30o bend. So must be part of the design?? Assumedly, to force the cat to sit a bit higher - so you can situate the exits a bit lower - below the bumper? or something?

Ergo - looks like the answer IS to remove the cat and off it up to the exhaust? Anyway. Will pop the pics along with my exhaust over to my mechanic tomorrow evening and get him to have a look at it, I trust his judgement  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

enid_b

i will offer you 30 quid for the pipes

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

tom_deas

Quote from: "enid_b"i will offer you 30 quid for the pipes

E

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

tom_deas

ahh, motherf*cker what I've just found

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php? ... =Che+Lotus m

"Only reason I bought the header and downpipe was to fit the che lotus style exhaust. The exhaust will not fit without the straightpipe as our stock cat gets pretty close(light rub) to the tip since its also in the center. Then I found out that I couldnt install the downpipe b/c one of bottom stud on my stock header broke in half so it didnt leave enough room to screw on the nut. So for me, I had to install or none to get it work right."

*extremely angry face* this was NOT specified in the advert. false advertising?

However... to contradict this I've found what I remember Che writing in his thread...

QuoteJen Che Lin

QUOTE(luckyboy)
Hello Che,
Thanks for your response. Since the down tube eliminates the cat; does your muffler(the original ebay one) attach to stock down tube(with cat)?. If it does; could you give me quote on price? I am interested in obtaining one. Thank you for your time.

Hi luckyboy,

You are welcome !

The Exhaust I had for sale on E-Bay awhile back is compatible with stock Down Pipe with Catalytic converter also is compatible with the Performance Down Pipe too. Thank you !

Che

markiii

looking at the pic on SC whilst it does have teh 30 degree angle when assembled teh flange is flat parrallel with teh bumper bar so teh exhaust must sit at an angle
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tom_deas

Right, it does fit to stock cat, heres pics showing how it should have been fitted

So... after all that time we were trying to force it together Russ, there is supposed to be a gap  s:( :( s:(  they could have bloody made that clear with instructions or something I mean how the hell are you supposed to assume something like that?! Plus, you loose the springs on the nuts. Never mind. On the bright side, by looking at these pics I reckon its an hour max job to fit this if I get back from work at a reasonable time tomorrow. And the manifold will just have to be left to the pro to sort out that amigo.

uktotty

and how is that different from how we were TRYNG to fit it?

Anonymous

Tom, just count to ten, wait and see what your uncle says. There is ALWAYS a solution to the problem.

tom_deas

my edit russ -

So... after all that time we were trying to force it together Russ, there is supposed to be a gap  s:( :( s:(  they could have bloody made that clear with instructions or something I mean how the hell are you supposed to assume something like that?! Plus, you loose the springs on the nuts. Never mind. On the bright side, by looking at these pics I reckon its an hour max job to fit this if I get back from work at a reasonable time tomorrow. And the manifold will just have to be left to the pro to sort out that amigo.

plus, you can see where that weird bracket mounts on. seems so obvious now  s:( :( s:(

uktotty

cant lose the springs on the nuts as there is no tension on them to bring the 2 halves together.
Saying that ANY form of manual would have been a bonus

tom_deas

Quote from: "uktotty"cant lose the springs on the nuts as there is no tension on them to bring the 2 halves together.

Well apparently the springs aren't necessary, just that semi-cylindrical/conical (gasket?) and a good bit of torqueing should be sufficient to create a strong enough seal - which makes sense, because the exhaust inlet is narrow, so that metal thing getting forced inside it will close the gap and seal off the system without the need for the cat exit and exhaust inlet surfaces to mate. But yes, a manual would have been a RIGHT bonus there. I'm gonna PM Che saying, not rudely, but that its a bit off that peeps are left to their own devices to figure out something like that for themselves.

Anonymous

You bought the cheapest exhaust available for the MR2 by some guy in China who is not exactly know for his quality work. Did you really expect anything different?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "tom_deas"
Quote from: "uktotty"cant lose the springs on the nuts as there is no tension on them to bring the 2 halves together.

Well apparently the springs aren't necessary, just that semi-cylindrical/conical (gasket?) and a good bit of torqueing should be sufficient to create a strong enough seal - which makes sense, because the exhaust inlet is narrow, so that metal thing getting forced inside it will close the gap and seal off the system without the need for the cat exit and exhaust inlet surfaces to mate. But yes, a manual would have been a RIGHT bonus there. I'm gonna PM Che saying, not rudely, but that its a bit off that peeps are left to their own devices to figure out something like that for themselves.

Rather you than me mate - you're asking for trouble have two surfaces not straight with each other then squeezing them together to force a fit.
It'll not last i tell yeh, now way hozet!!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I think you are being a tad unfair there (Ekona). If I took 'made in China' off everything in the house then you would get a completely unfurnished let. I can onlly just remember stuff that used to be made in Japan   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  and as for made in Britain, well I can't think of anything we actually make!

Anonymous

You know what I'm getting at though: A quick search of here and SC reveals how many items Che has had to replace, and while he's very good at doing so that doesn't remove the fact that he obviously has manufacturing 'issues' in his little tin hut (or wherever he makes them). To expect a 100% sorted exhaust when you're paying absolute peanuts for it is a bit short-sighted to say the least.

I do understand Tom's frustration, yet I can't help but feel he should've seen it coming.

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not going to seriously argue with that. With most 'after market' stuff you end up having to make it fit.
Trouble is, the main dealer stuff is probably sourced in China too!

ChrisGB

First off, do not go without the springs. The joint is meant to flex. If you just crush the exhaust seal, you will put the system under tension. You will probably be OK with the stock cat (the flex joins can move in all directions and shear slightly too) but it could give you problems once the downpipe is on. If you cannot get the springs to fit because the bolts are too long, use longer bolts.

As for Che' stuff. You pay les, so you do not expect the same standard as more expensive stuff. The fail we had a while ago turns out to be a result of the pipe being fitted under tension. Plenty of people are running Che stuff without issue. Cost less, so a bit of a chance.

Looking at the comparative heights of the top hangars, it seems pretty obvious that the system fits across the back of the car at an angle.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

keep the springs or it will leak
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tom_deas

Quote from: "Ekona"You bought the cheapest exhaust available for the MR2 by some guy in China who is not exactly know for his quality work. Did you really expect anything different?

No. I knew what risks I was taking, I had to take them, I'm a student, so if I can get away with paying less, I will

It's been an absolute PITA but, all the same, I'm fairly confident the finished job will be worth all the pain  s:) :) s:)

and tbh whether I bought a Che or anything else the amigo still would've f*cked, and the exhaust would have gone on fine if prior knowledge of the fitment was known, so... its not a quality issue at all, just the quality of, as Russ puts it, "Toyotas sh*tty chocolate f*cking bolts", and the fact that the exhaust came without instructions

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"KY jelly.. on your exhaust pipe.. now I'm worried..

Trust me,, you'll try to take off the manifold bolds.. round one of them.. go to a garage to get it taken off..  If you can do it youself 1st time I'll buy you a pint..

Alex

Seems your off the hook, Alex.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Quote from: "Ekona"You know what I'm getting at though: A quick search of here and SC reveals how many items Che has had to replace, and while he's very good at doing so that doesn't remove the fact that he obviously has manufacturing 'issues' in his little tin hut (or wherever he makes them). To expect a 100% sorted exhaust when you're paying absolute peanuts for it is a bit short-sighted to say the least.

I do understand Tom's frustration, yet I can't help but feel he should've seen it coming.

I seem to remember pointing out the potential pitfalls of Che's goods to Tom several weeks ago on Spyderchat. His inability to listen to advice and the sheer arrogance with which he rejects any attempts to help are going to go down really well. Some very experienced and knowledgeable people have commented on this thread and every time Tom has thrown it back in their faces. Eventually people will stop wasting their time and Tom will do as he pleases anyway, just no one will care.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

heathstimpson

Quote from: "tom_deas"
Quote from: "Ekona"You bought the cheapest exhaust available for the MR2 by some guy in China who is not exactly know for his quality work. Did you really expect anything different?

No. I knew what risks I was taking, I had to take them, I'm a student, so if I can get away with paying less, I will
Amazing that students can afford to buy and insure a nice motor like a 2 nowadays; say mod it  s:? :? s:?     s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

TJK

Quote from: "sandstrain"I think you are being a tad unfair there (Ekona). If I took 'made in China' off everything in the house then you would get a completely unfurnished let. I can onlly just remember stuff that used to be made in Japan   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  and as for made in Britain, well I can't think of anything we actually make!

It's not where it's made, it's for how much, with what, and by who! It's a false economy to buy cheap crap. A couple of hundred pounds extra for a decent exhaust would have saved hundred's in labour costs.
[size=75]EX -[/size][size=75] 1999 MR-S - TTE spoiler [/color]- TTE exhaust - TTE style bar - TTE chrome - 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - Adjustable Springs[/size]

Tags: