Wheels - Offset

Started by Anonymous, August 11, 2008, 13:13

Anonymous

Hi,
What offset of wheel do I need for my 2.
Are the back wheels a different offset to the front?

uktotty

Search and ye shall find, there are 480 posts relating to offset
http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/search.php?sid=b4e9f5bd81fdb5eaadce08f47cade3a6

markiii

there are 481 now
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

damonlaw88

I have 17" Advans RG.
ET35
205/40/17 Yokohama Parada Spec 2 All round
No rub
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

markiii

Quote from: "damonlaw88"I have 17" Advans RG.
ET35
No rub

which is a miracle as you want the offset as close to 45 as possible
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

damonlaw88

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "damonlaw88"I have 17" Advans RG.
ET35
No rub

which is a miracle as you want the offset as close to 45 as possible

I know i was a bit worried when getting them.
But so far it seems alright. No problems.
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

markiii

off topic  but the reson they fit is you have 205 tyres all round, whihc is a very bad idea

damonlaw88

Quote from: "markiii"off topic  but the reson they fit is you have 205 tyres all round, whihc is a very bad idea
PM sent don't want to go off topic on thread.

Ilogik

Quote from: "markiii"off topic  but the reson they fit is you have 205 tyres all round, whihc is a very bad idea
any reason why you would want such a high offset? Or does 45 fill the arches?

What widths are you wheels? 17x7.5 all round?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

roger

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "markiii"off topic  but the reason they fit is you have 205 tyres all round, which is a very bad idea
any reason why you would want such a high offset? Or does 45 fill the arches

The offset is there to ensure the wheel/tyre centres in the wheel arch (on a horizontal plane) and does not hit suspension, wheel arch etc. Nothing to do with height (vertical plane). The wider the tyre/wheel the more important it is to get it right.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Ilogik

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "markiii"off topic  but the reason they fit is you have 205 tyres all round, which is a very bad idea
any reason why you would want such a high offset? Or does 45 fill the arches

The offset is there to ensure the wheel/tyre centres in the wheel arch (on a horizontal plane) and does not hit suspension, wheel arch etc. Nothing to do with height (vertical plane). The wider the tyre/wheel the more important it is to get it right.
I know, what I am saying weak offsets sit inside the wheel arch and looks pants, a lower offset will be pushed out more, my question is 45 the lowest you can go before you foul the arches?  My old mk2 I ran 17x8 et 32 and 17x9 et 26 so the mk2 eats wheels as you can see.,

Anonymous

Is your car lowered Ilogik?

Ilogik

Quote from: "Ekona"Is your car lowered Ilogik?
Im not sure if it is it is not by much, has KYB Shocks on it but not sur eif it has aftermarket springs.

Anonymous

Just wondering as with a lowered car (even on TTE or Tein springs) the stock wheels fill the arches much better than whacking a heavy old set of 17"s on there which cripple the performance on an N/A car.

Ilogik

Quote from: "Ekona"Just wondering as with a lowered car (even on TTE or Tein springs) the stock wheels fill the arches much better than whacking a heavy old set of 17"s on there which cripple the performance on an N/A car.
only reason for the 17's is to higher is a bit, im still catching my trial bumper after having it trimmed. Not so bad now I am tackling everything sideways lol.

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

That is teh most cack-handed way of going about that that I can think of! If you put 17"s on you'll have to have a lower profile tyre to keep the stock rolling radius, which means that the car won't actually be any higher. You could achieve the same effect by putting on a higher profile tyre on the stock wheel, which means you'll cripple your rolling radius (which you would've had to do anyway to achieve what you're proposing) but at least you won't be shelling out on new wheels just to do it.

Ilogik

Quote from: "Ekona":lol:

That is the most cack-handed way of going about that that I can think of! If you put 17"s on you'll have to have a lower profile tyre to keep the stock rolling radius, which means that the car won't actually be any higher. You could achieve the same effect by putting on a higher profile tyre on the stock wheel, which means you'll cripple your rolling radius (which you would've had to do anyway to achieve what you're proposing) but at least you won't be shelling out on new wheels just to do it.
That and i wanted some 17's lol.

Anonymous

If you want them for looks then get them, just be aware that you'll make your car noticeably slower and it'll still ground out exactly the same as it does now.

Liz

So your going to put higher profile tyres on 17's?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Ilogik

I like having the biggest possible tyre on the rear as possible, front I would just go for the max that worked. Wish I could find the offset and widths of my current wheels, so could check the match. The rears look a bit stetched.

StuM

Quote from: "Ilogik"Wish I could find the offset and widths of my current wheels...

You should be able to measure it.  See:

Click Here
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"I like having the biggest possible tyre on the rear as possible, front I would just go for the max that worked. Wish I could find the offset and widths of my current wheels, so could check the match. The rears look a bit stetched.
Biggest in what sense? Width will give you grip, but that still won't solve the issue of your front scratching on the ground: You'll need to increase the profile for that.

markiii

not striclty true

grip is a function of footprint and weight

just sticking more rubber won;tgive you more grip

Tags: