Sony Fusion 6.5"

Started by tom_deas, August 11, 2008, 21:08

tom_deas

Right. Got a set of these, decided to fit them by making an MDF template. however, bought some wood then left it at a mates house... 150 miles away. and i cant be bothered to get more wood, so i go down the path suggested by some peeps on spyderchat IIRC of gutting the current speakers.

Now, this seems to work fine. I mean, the depth of the speaker appears to only be slightly beyond the standard one, and secondly the speaker sits snuggly on top of the wooden "ring" that is left over when you gut the speakers

however, the door card doesnt seem to want to go on top of this properly. even though supposedly the worst case scenario is that the speaker happens to be a flush with with the door card and hence the 1/2mm gained makes it slightly off, but it seems to be quite a bit of overhang

so im not entirely sure how to go about this. spurge on some speaker adaptors (only a tenner so not too bad but delivery can be a hassle, unless i get through halfrauds i guess...), make an MDF template, or file down the inside of the door card a bit? has anyone on MR2ROC gutted the stock speakers before?
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

loadswine

Tom, I really would use the mdf matey, 12mm thick and easy to cut and shape, acoustically okay and not expensive either.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

tom_deas

mmmm will pop halfords a line and see what price they can do me the adaptor for. if its not too much ill just go with that - easier, and just dont really have a lot of time. plus im no good with woodwork!

was just wondering really whether anyone else had gone this route and had a similar problem
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

enid_b

mdf, adaptors wont do the job half as nicely. dont be lazy, its not like you are carving a bust or anything, its a rough triangle with a circle in the middle.

there is even a template on here somewhere !!!
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

tom_deas

haha yeah i know its a shocking amount of laziness, russ even mentioned he has a physical template he can throw me  s:P :P s:P

ahh sod it ill do an MDFer and stop being lazy for a change

uktotty

Always trying to cut corners!!!
I have the fkin template here and I even  have 8 foot sheets of MDF!
I wonder if Tom will ever do a job properly without cutting corners?

tom_deas

Quote from: "uktotty"Always trying to cut corners!!!
I have the fkin template here and I even  have 8 foot sheets of MDF!
I wonder if Tom will ever do a job properly without cutting corners?

no, i will never change   s:D :D s:D

ill stop by yours later mate if you're around? will drop you a line this eve

tom_deas

for reference - gutting the original speakers does work. its just i was only gutting out the speaker itself, not removing the cardboard/wooden ring as well. removing the ring gives you enough clearance. the softish foamish material underneath isnt ACE to mount to, but if you really drive the screws in then eventually you hit hard plastic underneath which it DOES dig into well so its all sound. was a bit more hassle, in a way, but at the same time it was pretty easy to do and its given quite a nice flush finish IMO.

Tags: