Painted my alloys

Started by Andy_Foz, August 12, 2008, 18:08

Andy_Foz

Following on from my post below, I got round to painting two of my alloys this afternoon (as I only have two axel stands, Im going to do the other two tomorrow!).

Whilst I was there, I painted the calipers as well. Im pleased I went for gold rather than satin black for the alloys. Im really happy with the end results. They arent immaculate, but just working with what Ive got for now.

Please excuse the rust build up on my disks! The heavens really opened here last night, and as the car was at an angle, they rusted up good. A good ride at the weekend should clear that off quick enough though, Im sure! Hope you all like them.

Andy

StuM

Funnily enough I was photoshopping my stock alloys at the weekend and decided that gold looked great on a lagoon blue 2.  This confirms that, I think it looks really good.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Andy_Foz

Thanks, Stu.  I was a bit concerned it might look like a Clio, but Im happy with the end results now they are all bolted on!

Andy

StuM

I was thinking more Impreza!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Stu M

Ilogik

looks cool what size wheels you running mate?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

onion86

Quote from: "StuM"I was thinking more Impreza!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

yup, which is never a good thing.  s:P :P s:P
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

kanujunkie

[mod] moving to appearance as it has nowt to do with performance[/mod]
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

damonlaw88

That looks really nice. It's good to be different.
Well done
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

aaronjb

Pfft. Youngsters.

Blue + Gold = Williams
Williams = Williams Renault
Williams Renault = Renault Clio Williams

Years before Subaru got there, IIRC  s;) ;) s;)

s:P :P s:P
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

StuM

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Pfft. Youngsters.

Blue + Gold = Williams
Williams = Williams Renault
Williams Renault = Renault Clio Williams

Years before Subaru got there, IIRC  s;) ;) s;)

s:P :P s:P

Fair point   s:D :D s:D  

I loved the Clio Williams - I did not love Renault's cynical marketing ploy that resulted in Williams 2 & 3!

I also like the blue/gold Subarus, but they are not popular in my household.  My wife hates them and refers to them as SuperPoos.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Stu
Stu M

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "Ilogik"looks cool what size wheels you running mate?

They are 17" alloys, bud.

Quote from: "kanujunkie"[mod] moving to appearance as it has nowt to do with performance[/mod]

Its actually scientifically proven that painted brake calipers slow your car to a grinding halt in half the time compared to stock calipers. (Sincerest apologies really, old boy!).

Thanks for the kind words, peeps. Here are a couple of better pics. Im happy with how the wheels turned out. Its spurred me on to make her a bit better looking now. After either a standard Toyota kit or a Top Secret style kit now.

Andy

onion86

Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Thanks for the kind words, peeps. Here are a couple of better pics. I'm happy with how the wheels turned out. Its spurred me on to make her a bit better looking now. After either a standard Toyota kit or a Top Secret style kit now.

Andy

Nice pics  s:) :) s:)  I must say though, ears are us. Would look nice with a bodykit, go for this top secret kit  s:D :D s:D

Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Great job you've done and the gold looks very nice against the blue, how much did it cost for paint etc?

dubs

looks good. like that
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

Anonymous

Sort out your ears.  It looks loads better when they are right and it's freeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "Mr Flibble"Great job you've done and the gold looks very nice against the blue, how much did it cost for paint etc?

Cheers, buddy. Cost me the grand total of £12.98 (two cans) as I already had primer. Not a bad modfication for under £15 I think.   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "SarahAnn"Sort out your ears.  It looks loads better when they are right and it's freeeeeeeeeeeeee!

This whole ear thing... I must say, it really doesnt bother me?! As soon as it starts to though, I will have a read up on it.

Andy

Anonymous

Looks very nice. Well done.

uktotty

The idea was very bad, the end result is very good, Congrats!!

kentsmudger

NIce result , especially for a DIY solution. I may be looking to revive some tired alloys, so I have a few questions

It looks like you did this with the tyres still on and just masked the tyre, am I right?
Was this done just because you fancied a colour change or were they bubbling / corroding?
You mention primer and paint, what did you use to prep the surface?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "kentsmudger"NIce result , especially for a DIY solution. I may be looking to revive some tired alloys, so I have a few questions

It looks like you did this with the tyres still on and just masked the tyre, am I right?
Was this done just because you fancied a colour change or were they bubbling / corroding?
You mention primer and paint, what did you use to prep the surface?

Cheers, bud. This is a bit of a resurrected old thread. After a couple of weeks of the above colour, I decided it wasnt the exact shade I wanted (should have perhaps thought about that before I done all four wheels!), so since the above pictures, I have had them off again and resprayed them in a nicer shade of gold. Will post some pics up this afternoon when i get home from work. i think they look much nicer now.

To answer your questions;

*Tyres were left on and masked up
*Painted them because I fancied a change and thought they would aesthetically look better/more unique. There was no bubbling/corrosion
*To prep the service, I gave them a wash down, went over the wheel with some wire wool and a 600 grit paper to offer some abbrasion, gave them a good hit of primer then a good 3 coats of paint!

As promised, will post up some pictures this afternoon with the new colour. Hope this helps

Andy

StuM

I remember a tip from the past that if you are spraying with the tyres on the wheels, you can smear washing up liquid on the tyre first.  The paint doesn't adhere to it and you can rinse it off when done.
Stu M

Andy_Foz

Thats a really good tip. And one I could have done with knowing beforehand! As it happened, the only problem I encountered was that the last owner had put so much silicone tyre shine on over the time he had it, it made adhering masking tape to the tyre was a real mission, regarless of how many time I washed them. Still, got there in the end.

As promised, here is a (not very good and not very clean!) picture of the new colour. I much prefer it. Looks a little more Top Secret-esque I think. At some point, Im going to approach a signwriting company with a logo of the alloy wheel manufacturer and the type of comedic blumph that jap company's slogans translate to into english and have a single sticker on one spoke on each alloy like you sometimes see on Rays Engineering wheels etc. Thought it might finish them off.

Anyway, enough talking...!

Andy

StuM

Fantastic - I agree that colour looks a million times better (and I liked the other colour!).

Nice one
Stu M

kentsmudger

Thanks for the info - New colour looks nice!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: