Going insane fitting a Blueflame exhaust!

Started by Antman, November 5, 2008, 13:22

Anonymous

I think some of you should calm down a bit, remember the joint is supposed to move it does not need to be square that's why you have a £30 gasket fitted to take this movement into consideration and also the reason why you should fit the springs - it's not a Che. The reason I fitted the stainless bolts was a replacement for the original rusty ones!!!!!!!! The bolt length is 100mm.

Any way here are the pic's of my system, they used a steel coupler for my joint - it was off my original exhaust - and yes you can weld carbon to stainless as long as you use a stainless electrode.

uktotty

Quote from: "FGRob"The bolt length is 100mm.

Rob if their tolerances are 1metre out then its just tooo much!

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"

Rob if their tolerances are 1metre out then its just tooo much!

Russ - 100mm is 4" mate  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

carl_evs

Quote from: "uktotty"

Rob if their tolerances are 10 cm out then its just tooo much!

Fixed that for ya!!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

uktotty

Getting my MMs and my CMs all mixed up!
  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Antman

Rob, thanks for the pics - interesting to see that your silencer box hangs at an angle - mine sat dead level. Also, your left hand hanger (top) is attached at the silencer, not at the pipe like mine, AND you have a strengthening brace from the inlet to the silencer, which I don't have...
Ex - 2006 Lagoon Blue with black leather interior, K&N filter, J-spec nose badge, CLUB STICKER, TTE hoop for the bling!

Now - Porsche Boxster S, Arctic Silver - awaiting funds for mods!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Kool PT"this is pretty insane - we have basically a thread full of 100% fitment issue stories, yet blueflame insist that they have never heard of a fitment issue once. has anybody got any other tales of blueflame correspondance?

They most certainly have. I reported my fitment issues and they recommended the easing of hangers to suit.

Chris (watching a good company destroy its own reputation).
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Antman"Rob, thanks for the pics - interesting to see that your silencer box hangs at an angle - mine sat dead level. Also, your left hand hanger (top) is attached at the silencer, not at the pipe like mine, AND you have a strengthening brace from the inlet to the silencer, which I don't have...

And to think it only cost £360 fitted -   s:D :D s:D  I don't think it sounds or is looking to bad for a 3 year old exhaust.

As I said before it was custom made and I'm sure the other custom made exhausts are probably different to mine.

I think you have to allow a certain amount of adjusting, especially the hangers - they can be bent when being transported.

But yes companies can change their quality in 3 years, I know the guy who made my system as left Blueflame.   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Good luck.
Rob.

PS Russ there are drugs you can take for that mate  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Antman

Thought I'd update this thread, as I have now fitted the BlueFlame and share my thoughts...

I bought the longer stainless bolts, raised the cat up to meet with the exhaust joint and bolted it all up. The bolt springs are compressed about half way and there are no leaks from the gasket. Raising the cat however has compressed it's rubber hanger, so it is now pulling the system down, rather than letting it hang. The lower left hanger, by the exhaust tip, is also being pulled downwards, at an angle.

To top things off, I put the bumper back on and the exhaust tip is sitting at an angle - really obvious, as it's an oval.

The sound isn't too bad - a bit more 'Peco' than I'd have liked and it booms in the cabin around 2000 rpm - hoping this will sort itself out once it cokes up a bit.

Sadly, the 'butt dyno' says I've lost power, rather than gained any. I'm going to run it like this for a couple of weeks and hope for some improvement.

Overall, pretty unimpressed and wouldn't recommend the 'off the peg' system, like that on eBay. Perhaps if their workshop fits it, these problems get sorted at source - and a round tip, rather than an oval, would hide the fact it sits at an angle.

I have a pic of the finished article, but Photobucket won't upload it. Will try from my home PC tonight.
Ex - 2006 Lagoon Blue with black leather interior, K&N filter, J-spec nose badge, CLUB STICKER, TTE hoop for the bling!

loadswine

Sorry to hear that this hasn't worked out as you'd hoped, but good on you for posting up your experiences.
Might be worth putting a bit in the buyer/seller feedback section to advise others there as well.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Kool PT

another unsatisfied blueflame customer...i'm really unsure about this now.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Antman"To top things off, I put the bumper back on and the exhaust tip is sitting at an angle - really obvious, as it's an oval.

That is odd. Mine fits fine with the proximity of bumper and hangers and lines up straight. Could be the tail trim is on at a bit of an angle?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Antman

Thought it would be a good idea just to round up this thread with a 'two weeks on' conclusion...

My opinions have changed quite a bit - the boom  has all but gone and over 3,000 rpm it sounds great! More like a sports car, rather than a chavvy Corsa! And it now has a nice burble on tickover.

The revs seem to pick up faster now too and the gear shift seems 'cleaner' because the revs drop a bit quicker when the clutch goes down (like the flywheel has been lightened a bit). The biggest difference, however, is what feels like a surge of power over 5,000 rpm - with the old exhaust, there was a linear delivery to the redline - now it charges towards it! It's very addictive!

The tip still sits wonky, though, which bugs me every time I see it! Chris - it's welded in place, so have to adjust the whole assembly to get it straight.

If I had the time and the tools (and the skills!), I'd focus on getting it right - the car is my daily driver and with the days being so short this time of year, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

So, overall, it isn't as bad as I initially thought - it takes time to bed in to get the desired effect. The car now feels quicker than stock - more willing to accelerate. I just need that tip sorting...

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Antman"The tip still sits wonky, though, which bugs me every time I see it! Chris - it's welded in place, so have to adjust the whole assembly to get it straight.

Thinking about this, mine has a round tip that is sort of "slash cut" so that viewed from above it follows the line of the bumper rather than being at 90 deg to the centre line of the car. I believe it is made to be like this for cosmetic reasons as the tip is welded to the pipe perfectly straight. Could that be the what you are seeing as "wonky"?

Chris

Tags: