Audi TT engine into a MK3?

Started by Ilogik, January 21, 2009, 16:48

markiii

exactly what Phil said, once you start tweaking it inevitably ends up with you tweaking somnething else

if you have teh time and skill to enjoy teh tweaking, great

otherwise say hello to an empty wallet

as for top speed on either option thats going to be limited by gearing not power

as for running out of oomph in 3rd I seem to remember being fine n/a up to teh top of 4th assuing you used all teh rev range and throttle to get there

do a 2zz swap properly you will need teh celica box which changes this whole argument anyway, add a turbo and even 6th becomes a useable gear to accelerate in,

horses for courses and all that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

good read and good information.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Kool PT

as the price of 2nd hand turbos become lower and lower (three of them on here if i remember correctly trying to sell for 2k or less) turbo will surely eventually become cheaper. a complete system would only need a few hours at a garage to fit right? and without crazy power, no need to upgrade stock parts. only other expense is regular oil changes i guess. personally, i change oil every 5k anyway but it may require more frequent changes...?

all this info must be around the site but not a bad idea to have a bit of up to date discussion on it.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

markiii

even at higher prices turbos will give a bigger bang for teh buck

it depends if you prefer turbo or n/a delivery
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I have dragged a friend of mine who has a Mk3 MR2 with a 2ZZ swap. He also got rid of the aircon and a lot of weight saving done (rear storage bins out, lightweight bonnet amongst other things.

He did 15.3 on the quarter mile and 24.3 on the half mile
My TTET did 15.1 and 24.0.

(On a prepared drag strip with warm tyres I managed a 14.3 second 1/4 mile with the TTET... the 15.1sec was on a very slippery section of race track)

I love my aircon too much   s:) :) s:)

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"even at higher prices turbos will give a bigger bang for the buck

it depends if you prefer turbo or n/a delivery

i would prefer 2zz but it's never going to get any cheaper, look at turbo prices, even in the short time i've been registered they have dropped significantly. As little as £1250 is now enough to get you a built setup, give it a year or two and it'll be more like a grand a go vs roughtl £4-5k for a 2zz swap...

markiii

£1250 where?

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"£1250 where?

l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23259&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=turbo l  fair enough it's no longer for sale but I'm not sure about the exact details.

There's also a Hass kit for £1600, I know these are the cheaper variants but in terms of raw performance if I had to choose between paying £1500 or less for a ready assembled kit, or three times that for a 2zz, I'd go turbo every time. Apart from anything else, the car itself is probably worth £4k at best...spending the same on a 2zz swap would be financial madness!

plus, once the 2zz is in, it's in. even if prices get significantly lower, you can at least remove a turbo with a few hours' work and sell it on here.

Star_69

Quote from: "muffdan"Silverstone Performance currently have a 2zz with supercharger on a bench ready to drop in to an MR2. If you went with this option you probably wouldn't neet to change your gear box. The supercharged 2zz has a lot of torque low down.

Jason

You're kidding? Guess I didnt hold that crown for long then!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If you later crave more power (which you will) SP have a tuning package for the TTE Supercharger used on the Corolla and their Elise that WILL fit the Mr2. Bottom mounted Intercooler (I think from the sp240 package), mandrel bent pipework, smaller custom machined pulley (will loose the electromagnetic clutch though) for an extra 2psi. The elise with the same gear got 260bhp and 190lbs of torque. Not too shabby!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

muffdan

Quote from: "Star_69"
Quote from: "muffdan"Silverstone Performance currently have a 2zz with supercharger on a bench ready to drop in to an MR2. If you went with this option you probably wouldn't neet to change your gear box. The supercharged 2zz has a lot of torque low down.

Jason

If you later crave more power (which you will) SP have a tuning package for the TTE Supercharger used on the Corolla and their Elise that WILL fit the Mr2. Bottom mounted Intercooler (I think from the sp240 package), mandrel bent pipework, smaller custom machined pulley (will loose the electromagnetic clutch though) for an extra 2psi. The elise with the same gear got 260bhp and 190lbs of torque. Not too shabby!

That's what's on offer  s:) :) s:)  It literally is sitting on a bench in the workshop ready to go into something!

I've driven their Corolla demo car with this setup in and it is seriously quick through the whole rev range. Shame about the fuel economy though.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Star_69

Yeah 20-23mpg tops I think Matt said and its on super. Thats not bad considering 25mpg is about average on a Compressor. 70mph @ 4k doesnt help. He didnt have it there when I got my stut brace, otherwise I would have jumped on that! Tell Matt I can still hear the beeping! Saw your baby. Love how you've got the boost gauge.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

loadswine

I'd like to see more SCs out there, I love the whole effect they give. I think a drive in the Exige SC convinced me that they were a superb piece of kit to have. Plus its different, and I applaud that.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Ilogik

It would work out about 5k for it fitted and mapped with a Link ecu, bit out my price range, I am kinda regretting paying off my student loan early lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: