Lotus Elise V MR2 mk3...

Started by donnac, June 2, 2009, 21:24

Anonymous

Hard top goes on and off in seconds, simply unclip the front two latches that the soft top also uses and two side latches and carry it off the car.

donnac

Quote from: "nelix"Hard top goes on and off in seconds, simply unclip the front two latches that the soft top also uses and two side latches and carry it off the car.

Excellent thats another plus point then for the MR2   s8) 8) s8)
2002 Blue Roadster

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "nelix"Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

There is no comparison. Craig is only half the man I am..... Around the middle anyway   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

The Real Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

donnac

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "nelix"Phill?, Phill? God no, i'm not Phill, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee never compare me to Phill.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

There is no comparison. Craig is only half the man I am..... Around the middle anyway   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

The Real Phil

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   this site is nuts  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    i think im going to like it here  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

Anonymous

You cannot confuse Phill and i. I am articulate, handsome, debonair, intelligent, modest and my dna is human.

Phill is Phill.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "nelix"You cannot confuse Phill and i. I am articulate, handsome, debonair, intelligent, modest and my dna is human.

Phill is Phill.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I am all of those things, with 'Very' written in front of them. I'm off on me hols tomorrow so unfortunately unable to continue the debate   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Okay, given you've already got an NSX (3L or 3.2L out of interest?) that kinda takes care of the comfortable side of a sports car, but what I would say is that you really need to get the Elise on track. As I said to someone else on here yesterday I think, the best way to approach a trackday is with a healthy sense of fear, as then you're simply not going to take any stupid risks and are far less likely to end up with any damage. That said, clams are pretty cheap for the S1 (£400-ish IIRC) so that's not a daft amount of money, and you'd probably do the same amount of damage cost-wise were you to knock an MR2 in a similar way. Well, maybe not quite but it's certainly not the £2K for an S2 clam.

I'm not sure I could live with an S1 purely as a road car myself either, but once you get out on track it really will start making sense. I would certainly try it once before you get rid, as it's an experience not to missed. You don't say whether you ever have or not, but if not then you have to drive the Boxster, regardless of what you think of the car/badge: You'll be blown away. I know I was, and I really didn't care much for the Stuttgart brand at all.

It all depends on what you want from a car at the end of the day. From a performance view there are better options than an MR2, from a comfort view there are better options, and from a styling view there are better options. However, if you want to stay mid-engined and cheap 'n' cheerful, then there is no alternative car other than the MR2, and it's still brilliant at what it does.

ekimq

Quote from: "Dan M"*Come to the dark side..*   NSX (3L or 3.2L out of interest?)   *you know you want to...* Elise on track.
...*Only through me you can achieve a power greater than any Jedi....* for an S2 clam.

*A powerful Sith you will become. Anakin Skywalker...*    You don't say whether you ever have or not, but if not then you have to drive the Boxster, regardless of what you think of the car/badge: You'll be blown away. I know I was, and I really didn't care much for the Stuttgart brand at all.

*The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities...* From a performance view there are better options than an MR2, from a comfort view there are better options, and from a styling view there are better options.

My wallet is weak Lord Vader, I must stay in the light   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "Dan M"However, if you want to stay mid-engined and cheap 'n' cheerful, then there is no alternative car other than the MR2, and it's still brilliant at what it does.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Dan M"That said, clams are pretty cheap for the S1 (£400-ish IIRC) so that's not a daft amount of money, and you'd probably do the same amount of damage cost-wise were you to knock an MR2 in a similar way. Well, maybe not quite but it's certainly not the £2K for an S2 clam.

I saw pictures of an S2 with an all carbon fibre front clam the other day - the owner had a 'mishap' and decided that was cheaper/better/much sexier than an OE replacement.. good to see the S1 is cheaper! (Even though I don't fit in one.)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

NickNJ

The elise is not an every day car, if you feel like that now you'll be even worse come the winter blues.

I always feel like mine is a pain in the arse and choose to drive the mr2 mostly, having said that the s2 elise is more of a compromise as the cill is higher and the more confortable seats. Ultimately, The mr2 is a fine car and I love mine, I'm about to brace mine and turbo so can't give you a comparison just yet, but standard it's no where near elise league, chassis/performance is on a different planet.

I've been in the same situation as you, got rid, bought something more 'luxurious' and realised made a mistake and HAD to have another...familiar story throughout the lotus community.  

I'd keep the s1 and drive a banger to work, it's a future classic and the s2 residuals will soon drop below the s1 so you won't lose anything on it.
Black MR2 Roadster

donnac

Quote from: "NickNJ"The elise is not an every day car, if you feel like that now you'll be even worse come the winter blues.

I always feel like mine is a pain in the arse and choose to drive the mr2 mostly, having said that the s2 elise is more of a compromise as the cill is higher and the more confortable seats. Ultimately, The mr2 is a fine car and I love mine, I'm about to brace mine and turbo so can't give you a comparison just yet, but standard it's no where near elise league, chassis/performance is on a different planet.

I've been in the same situation as you, got rid, bought something more 'luxurious' and realised made a mistake and HAD to have another...familiar story throughout the lotus community.  

I'd keep the s1 and drive a banger to work, it's a future classic and the s2 residuals will soon drop below the s1 so you won't lose anything on it.

Thanks, so you have an Elise and an MR2 just now then?

I work 5 minutes from work so dont need to use the Elise everyday to commute but this will change by the end of summer so im not looking forward to winter in the Elise   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I will try a trackday before i make my final decision but it just seems to make sense in my head just now to get the MR2   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

philster_d

I am thinking Pajero for my second vehicle. 2.8 diesel injection and can tow may car to shows and track days.

markiii

when moving from the mr2 (turboed, braced and suspension done) to teh VXR220 there were several things I noticed

1. Access - MR2 wins
2. outright cornering - VX wins
3. quality of ride - about teh same the VX MAKES MORE NOISE BUT YOU DONLT ACTUALLY FEEL THAT MUCH MORE
4. SPEED - VX BY A MILE
5. roof - mr2 is better by miles
6. steering - vx by a mile, mr2 feels like steering through jelly by comparison

I don't seem to drive teh VX as often, can;t be arsed just to go to teh shops or so, but shes done around 15000 miles in 18 months so I must be getting the miles from somewhere  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

NickNJ

Quote from: "donnac"Thanks, so you have an Elise and an MR2 just now then?

I work 5 minutes from work so dont need to use the Elise everyday to commute but this will change by the end of summer so Im not looking forward to winter in the Elise   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I will try a trackday before i make my final decision but it just seems to make sense in my head just now to get the MR2   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yep, use them both. I got through the first winter blues with the elise on novelty alone, it leaked that much I looked like i'd pissed myself after a drive to the shops.  Then decided to run a £150 banger through next winter. Then got the mr2 for winter. Now i walk to work and use neither!!

If you're going to use a car to commute then the elise is a pain in the arse, particulary an S1. The MR2 is a good compromise for all year round so is definately worth considering,  guarantee you'll be on the lookout for another lotus come March though   s:) :) s:)
Black MR2 Roadster

donnac

Quote from: "NickNJ"
Quote from: "donnac"Thanks, so you have an Elise and an MR2 just now then?

I work 5 minutes from work so dont need to use the Elise everyday to commute but this will change by the end of summer so Im not looking forward to winter in the Elise   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yep, use them both. I got through the first winter blues with the elise on novelty alone, it leaked that much I looked like i'd pissed myself after a drive to the shops.  Then decided to run a £150 banger through next winter. Then got the mr2 for winter. Now i walk to work and use neither!!

If you're going to use a car to commute then the elise is a pain in the arse, particulary an S1. The MR2 is a good compromise for all year round so is definately worth considering,  guarantee you'll be on the lookout for another lotus come March though   s:) :) s:)

My other half loves the Elise, its the only car ive ever had he wants to drive, but even he thinks the MR2 is a better all rounder for me.

I would probably have the MR2 for a year or so then get back into Lotus's with a Honda'd S1 once im in a more stable job i think   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

Star_69

Quote from: "donnac"
Quote from: "donnac"I would probably have the MR2 for a year or so then get back into Lotus's with a Honda'd S1 once Im in a more stable job i think   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Do you have a sister?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

donnac

Quote from: "Star_69"
Quote from: "donnac"

Do you have a sister?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

No, only child   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Went to my Toyota garage todat and they didnt have any MR2's   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , there is one in a local deal though so im going to try and arrange a test drive over weekend  s8) 8) s8)    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2002 Blue Roadster

digress

Not sure of your budget but Toyota Perth have a nice one in.

I test drove it a few months ago but couldn't get the deal I wantedneeded!

Stifler

Hey Donnac,

You bought the lovely Green BC 140 from Aberdeen didn't you?, I remember as i was looking for an S1 at the time and almost went to see it  s:) :) s:)

From what I have read I think you already know that you want the MR2, in my experience it delivers 90% of the thrills of the S1 but its usable 100% of the time vs the S1.

With a few choice mods you will not be disappointed, truly my old 2 is the only car i still miss owning to this day, it never failed to impress and make me smile like a loon when pushing on through the twisties.

Let me know if you are heading up to Knockhill soon, I have 3 trackdays booked before June is out up there (SIDC one would be good to meet up at) and I will happily chat to you about Roadsters.

Indeed, I'm trying to convince the co-owner of my current track car that a Roadster would be an awesome proposition for our next one, so even if you do want to do Trackdays the MR2 will more than hold its own.

My opinion, best of all words, looks, handling, running costs and day to day fun it simply cant be beat as a two seater  s:) :) s:)

Hope that helps and feel free to pm me about a blether  s:) :) s:)

donnac

Quote from: "Stifler"Hey Donnac,

You bought the lovely Green BC 140 from Aberdeen didn't you?, I remember as i was looking for an S1 at the time and almost went to see it  s:) :) s:)

From what I have read I think you already know that you want the MR2, in my experience it delivers 90% of the thrills of the S1 but its usable 100% of the time vs the S1.

With a few choice mods you will not be disappointed, truly my old 2 is the only car i still miss owning to this day, it never failed to impress and make me smile like a loon when pushing on through the twisties.

Let me know if you are heading up to Knockhill soon, I have 3 trackdays booked before June is out up there (SIDC one would be good to meet up at) and I will happily chat to you about Roadsters.

Indeed, I'm trying to convince the co-owner of my current track car that a Roadster would be an awesome proposition for our next one, so even if you do want to do Trackdays the MR2 will more than hold its own.

My opinion, best of all words, looks, handling, running costs and day to day fun it simply cant be beat as a two seater  s:) :) s:)

Hope that helps and feel free to pm me about a blether  s:) :) s:)
]

Hi yes thats me   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   small world   s8) 8) s8)  

Im at KH a lot as a spectator on Hot Marques nights so next time you are heading up drop me a pm, it would be great to meet some people from here and talk MR2's   s8) 8) s8)  

Thanks and hopefully hear from you soon

Donna

Also i went and viewed a car at a local dealer, i loved how big the car was inside, really decieving size wise and i liked the feel of the sitting position etc, ,meeting up with Davy on Wed for a look at his turbo too   s8) 8) s8)    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2002 Blue Roadster

Stifler

Hey Donna,

No problem, I'm on S_E a lot as i used to have a VX220 and its such a good place to hang out  s:) :) s:)

I'm up at KH this Thursday night, then for the trackscotland night on the 18th and then the SIDC one on the 27th, I use a green Porsche 944 on track so feel free to come over and say hi if you are up  s:) :) s:)

Would be great to see the NSX if you are up in that too  s;) ;) s;)

donnac

Quote from: "Stifler"Hey Donna,

No problem, I'm on S_E a lot as i used to have a VX220 and its such a good place to hang out  s:) :) s:)

I'm up at KH this Thursday night, then for the trackscotland night on the 18th and then the SIDC one on the 27th, I use a green Porsche 944 on track so feel free to come over and say hi if you are up  s:) :) s:)

Would be great to see the NSX if you are up in that too  s;) ;) s;)

Hi again   s8) 8) s8)  ,  i just clicked who you are from SE, you have the RX8 i commented on i think, its a stunning car that   s8) 8) s8)  

I think i will nip up to KH on Thur if the weather is decent so see you there   s8) 8) s8)
2002 Blue Roadster

donnac

Well i took a wee trip to Boness last night and met up with Davy and his wife to have a nose about his black Turbo  s8) 8) s8)  

OMG that is some car   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Its had some work put into it and it shows, what a machine   s8) 8) s8)  

Its help to confirm im my head that i need to buy a mk3 MR2 and im going to get a standard one and see how i get on, if i love it as much as i think i will then i would look at turbo kits in the future.

Im sure Davy will agree with my thoughts when comparing it to the Lotus, when we went out in mine i could hardly hear him and my jaw kept rattling on pot holes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The Mr2 just seems a great all rounder, i love the looks and interior and the handling seems good too, obviously the power is going to be different in a standard car but i can live with that.

I was blown away tbh and will end up selling the Elise a lot sooner than i had originally planned  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So if anyone is after a S1 elise in LRG with a hardtop and some mods and has a nice face lift MR2 they want to do a deal on let me know   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks again Davy for taking us out and being a top guy   s:D :D s:D
2002 Blue Roadster

Anonymous

Will do a swap, lol

Offer still stands if you want a ride in a stock 2, only mods are tte springs and Markiii inlet pipe.

donnac

Quote from: "nelix"Will do a swap, lol

Offer still stands if you want a ride in a stock 2, only mods are tte springs and Markiii inlet pipe.

What year and miles   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks for the offer, if i cant find a dealer one to test drive then i will give you a shout, im on Pistonheads 50 times a day now to get an idea of prices  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

Tags: