New ACT XTSS clutch fitted to Roadster Turbo

Started by steveybmr2-173, September 14, 2009, 20:27

steveybmr2-173

Hello folks, seems my clutch is on it's last legs, slipping on high boost between fast changes on the A50 homebound from JAE yesterday, it's been showing signs for quite a while now, so not exactly unforeseen, its currently fitted with an RPS clutch and flywheel, which I'm guessing, (but forgot to ask Dan) was fitted around 30k miles ago, given it's a turbo, and is enjoyed, I don't suppose that's too bad.

I'm looking for advice/opinions of fellow Turbo or ex turbo owners, and their choice of clutch, (yes I did try the search first!) I like the feel of the RPS clutch, has quite an OEM feel really, I want something that will withstand 240bhp, and the occasional (once, maybe twice a year), drag strip launch. A member I chatted to recently who'd had a Thor turbo install told me, he was'nt much for the Helix clutch which was fitted, (I think).

Any makes of clutch recommended? prices, and where fitted etc would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Steve

aaronjb

I have the Ogura ORC309 - it'll certainly stand up to what you want, and the drag launches with ease I'm sure - but.. I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons;

It's an absolute sod to drive sometimes - hard to slip (bite point varies with revs, essentially) and as it heats up (e.g. in traffic) gets more and more on/off.  I'm used to it now, but it took a while!

Very heavy clutch pedal indeed - you end up with a highly developed left leg.

It makes a bloody awful noise - it's a floating plate clutch, so the pressure plate 'shimmies' when the clutch is disengaged.  Imagine the noise a ball bearing makes in a can if you roll it round and round.. then make that louder and faster, and that's kinda how it sounds.

Other than that it's an awesome clutch though - beautiful package and very, very light flywheel with it.  I do like it, just maybe not in a daily driver like mine!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Ilogik

I have the TRD clutch on my tubby, with stood drag days really well, bit stiff, but clamping force is great, gives it a nice solid feel to gear changes.

m http://www.fensport.co.uk/ordering.htm m

If your around brum way come test it out.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

philster_d

I think the rps streetmax is a good clutch for a turbo roadster. Only now I have changed it but it was always envied by all who drove her.

Phil

loadswine

I like the ACT clutch, even my 6 puk non sprung clutch is pretty user friendly. Maybe something like this will suit you Steve:
 m http://www.clutchcityonline.com/product ... XTG6.shtml m
I think Stu ( kanujunkie) had an ACT clutch on his C2 turbo as well and he quite liked it.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

rmowbray

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"A member I chatted to recently who'd had a Thor turbo install told me, he was'nt much for the Helix clutch which was fitted, (I think).
Hi Steve. It was me and it's an Exedy clutch and yes I still hate it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

steveybmr2-173

Thanks for the options so far guys, some food for thought - ah Rich! Exedy, me and Neil Latham thought it was Helix for some reason lol!

I had a Carbonetic clutch when I rebuilt my Mk2 rev 3 turbo, that had that noise to it Aaron, and was a bit on and off

onion86

Quote from: "philster_d"I think the rps streetmax is a good clutch for a turbo roadster. Only now I have changed it but it was always envied by all who drove her.

Phil
That's what I've got waiting to fit. Just going to wait for my stock to die first  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Steve, I changed the clutch a good while before I got round to putting the turbo on, so I'd guess that it's been on there since about 8K miles-ish.

steveybmr2-173

ah that's even better then Dan, the RPS managed over 40k in that case  s:) :) s:)

custardavenger

+1 on the ACT. I have the HD and it's like stock in but much grippier. If I ever manage to break it I'll get the XT.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

I did have an Exidy full ceramic clutch, but that started slipping a few weeks back. I got 40k out of it so not bad. I've replaced mine with an ACT XTSS on th recomendation of MWR.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

steveybmr2-173

Looks like the ACT it is then - Is it a case of sourcing one of these from the U.S? does anyone have a contact/url?

thanks guys  s:) :) s:)

Ilogik

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"Looks like the ACT it is then - Is it a case of sourcing one of these from the U.S? does anyone have a contact/url?

m http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/ind ... ath=25_111 m

Still think you should have a go with my TRD clutch.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

steveybmr2-173

is this the one?
 m http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdet ... Disc/11002 m

only lists MR2 00-03, mines a 53 plate facelift, are their differences? just wan't to be sure before having something shipped incorrect!

steveybmr2-173

aha!! stupid me, of course MWR, and they are about to advertise in the MR2 Only Mag, should of thought of them! doh!

Tem

Quote from: "Ilogik"Still think you should have a go with my TRD clutch.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I really like my TRD clutch. Anyone who tries it, likes it a lot and have trouble believing such an easy clutch could handle much, but it does. I like it so much that I already bought a spare disc, just in case they get discontinued before I need a new one.  s8) 8) s8)  

Then again, that's not the cheapest option out there. Anyone on a budget should avoid one..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

loadswine

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"Looks like the ACT it is then - Is it a case of sourcing one of these from the U.S? does anyone have a contact/url?

m http://www.clutchcityonline.com/product ... XTG6.shtml m
I did put this in higher up. They did deliver quite quickly for me when I purchased one.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Ilogik

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Ilogik"Still think you should have a go with my TRD clutch.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I really like my TRD clutch. Anyone who tries it, likes it a lot and have trouble believing such an easy clutch could handle much, but it does. I like it so much that I already bought a spare disc, just in case they get discontinued before I need a new one.  s8) 8) s8)  

Then again, that's not the cheapest option out there. Anyone on a budget should avoid one..

which one did you go for from the trd's? mine is pretty hard to press, well not to hard, but harder than stock, low gear moving around parking can be a little tedious at times. The guy at kwik fit was making me laugh, stalled the car 5 times trying to get it on the ramp.

spit

Bit late to the party here Steve, but my thoughts....

I was planning to go for the ACT on Sean's recommendation. There were some production issues with a batch of RPS clutches at the time but that was ages ago and I've tried one on a TTET and its great. As it turned out, I was arranging for Dave to get an Exedy distributor deal at the time and his launch price for the Ex organic was too good to pass up. Its plenty capable but takes an age to bed in.

As for clutch pedal weight, the jury is still out with me. From what I've experienced, there's something other than the clutch that has way more impact than the clutch itself (pushrod?). Mine was hard   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  pre- and post- upgrade, Gazz's was light pre- and post- upgrade etc etc. Different characteristics in terms of feel and bite but more often than not I've heard members say that what they had before in terms of 'weight' is similar to what they got afterwards. There are exceptions, but I have no explanation that will predict how your replacement will behave. Just something for you to bear in mind.

let us know how you get on.
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "Ilogik"which one did you go for from the trd's? mine is pretty hard to press, well not to hard, but harder than stock, low gear moving around parking can be a little tedious at times. The guy at kwik fit was making me laugh, stalled the car 5 times trying to get it on the ramp.

I think TRD has only one pressure plate, which is what makes the pedal feel. I do have the Speed-source "Extended Clutch Slave
Cylinder Pushrod", which might affect the pedal feel too. I find it very light, lighter than just about anything else. Surely it's harder than stock, you'd want to keep the stock pressure plate, if you want the stock feel.

I have the metal disc to go with it.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "loadswine"I think Stu ( kanujunkie) had an ACT clutch on his C2 turbo as well and he quite liked it.

I did and after trying the ogura which i hated with a vengance, just too damn fierce and the RPS which is good but is a bit whishy washy in feedback. The ACT 6 puck is nothing short of superb, loads of feedback and never failed to take anything that was thrown at it, loved it and if i ever build another turbo then thats what i'll be useing
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

steveybmr2-173

thats sold it to me then, thanks guys, will go for the ACT, already mailed Monkey Wrench for some prices, will wait until we've had the last of the good weather, and get it fitted over winter, switched to low boost and driving normally, its still fairly driveable, but on high boost, fast changes, major slippage, probably not helping with the stiff gearchange mines always had, will get that sorted once and for all at the same times as the clutch is fitted.

steveybmr2-173

bit of an update, after a lot of backwards and forwards in decision, I went ahead and ordered the ACT XTSS from the guys at Monkey Wrench Racing, it arrived last week, and is here waiting for me to arrange fitment with Charleworths , looks a very nice piece of kit , shame such swanky bits are hidden away! frustrated now with the weather, and that I've commitments for the next few weekends so can't arrange to book the car in for the clutch change and a few other jobs, itching to get it all done, and enjoy driving it again  s:) :) s:)

steveybmr2-173

I've just had a very pleasing drive back from Charlesworth Garage in Glossop, Roadster Turbo has had a new ACT XTSS clutch fitted, intial thoughts on it are very good, does feel a little heavier than the RPS that was removed (although I've been driving around in an Auto for the last week!) certainly feels more positive as the RPS has been slipping like mad for the last 12 months. Looking forward to bedding it in and enjoying some roofless miles this spring/summer.

Thanks again to Steve and the guys at Charlesworth Garage I cannot recommend them enough, yet again they've done a sterling job, engine bay has been cleaned of leaking oil thats been passing under pressure, Steves re-routed a pipe and breather/filter to vent off. A faulty O2 sensor has been replaced, gear shift selectors unseized, front ARB removed and captive nuts drilled out and new bolts replaced, all in all a very pleasureable drive home!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: