Wheel change

Started by Anonymous, October 5, 2009, 19:29

markiii

don;t forget offset is not just about looks, its about stress on teh hubs and arms
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"don;t forget offset is not just about looks, its about stress on the hubs and arms

You better explain and recommend then Mark to help the questioner.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Ilogik

Quote from: "roger"....and you can go up to +45 on front and +50 on back. The closer you can get to those the better it will look.

Maybe to stock setting yes, but +50 sucks. As for stress on hubs, Drift cars seem to put uber low offset wheels and dont seem to suffer too badly. If spending loads on new wheels you atleast want them to sit properly in the arches.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

roger

Quote from: "Ilogik"but +50 sucks.

Your choice of course, for my personal interest you might want to say why. Have you studied one in detail, because you've already seen some.
Roger

markiii

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "markiii"don;t forget offset is not just about looks, its about stress on the hubs and arms

You better explain and recommend then Mark to help the questioner.

take a fictional zero offset wheel with a fixed width wheel and a fixed width tyre

as teh car moves around an amount of force will be transmitted to the hub, suspension arms and driveshafts as the wheel effectively trys to rip loose

from teh factory Toyot will have done teh math to work out what this amount of force amounts to and will have engineered the components to cope. And I would hope have a considerable margin for error

now change one of these variables

change your tyre width?, change your wheel width? run track tyres or slicks? or come to that even run heavier wheels

and of course teh one we are discussing change offset,

and you change the amoount of stress applied to those components

will it remain safely within spec? I'd hope so

but you have changed it in ways the components will not have been designed for

you can therefore get eitehr a dramaitic failure (worse case I grant you) or more likely will reduce your wheel bearing life if you move to far away from teh stock parameters

try snapping a pencil

50% in one hand 50% in teh other

now try 80% in one and 20% in teh other

once takes more force than teh other and in different proportions until it snaps

same theory
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

I understand the theory, but the question is at what stage does your 80/20 example come into play on the Roadster?

This has never been discussed before AFAIAA, but given the standard offset as 45, are we getting to breaking strain at the late 30's, or when? Or are you just saying, as we often do, that if you go outside MrT specs then the engineering consequences and tolerances become unknown and it is done at your own risk?
Roger

Tags: